HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2003, 06:40 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Video of what 10mph winds look like (or Flying Warbirds in the Wind)

I took some video of the S&B planes (Corsair and Ta152h) this morning. I also wanted to show what 10mph winds look like visually (check out the flags on the first part of the video). Before I had the Radio Shack wind gauge, I would've guessed these winds were over 20 mph. At 10 mph the birds were being blown around (and these are 20 oz AUW). You can actually see both planes lose some altitude when turning downwind from loss of lift. Definitely had to fly higher than normal. I used to say that I can fly my Beaver, EP S300 TM and EPS300 Cub in 15 mph wind. I now believe, that if winds are over 5 to 7 mph, the GWS planes stay home and I take the Zagi and the EPP foamies out...
Enjoy...
http://www.silentflightonline.com/Si...mages/1142.wmv
flipnidaho is offline Find More Posts by flipnidaho
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2003, 06:44 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
The planes on the ground...

Gotta love warbirds! I wonder if these two actually met in combat almost 60 years ago...
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:02 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Flip (I presume "Flip in Idaho"?),

Nice video. Makes me want to buy both of them. Do you prefer one over the other?

Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:13 PM
Joined Jan 2002
485 Posts
a
Glennie is offline Find More Posts by Glennie
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:15 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Yep... you got the handle right....

Filipino in Idaho... hehe
Anyway, I prefer the Ta152 but I think that's because I have more time on her. The 152 also has a wider wingspan (49") so she's easy to see and glides well (also better inverted). The Corsair is fast and rolls fast though and I'm getting the hang of flying her...
I like the fact that they are pretty indesctructible the best though...
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:15 PM
Joined Jan 2002
485 Posts
MAN ALIVE, those are beautiful planes! Could a true dub, ancient and clumsy, get one of those together looking nice and flying well? Glen Priest
Glennie is offline Find More Posts by Glennie
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:11 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
The cool thing...

is you can have S&B build the plane up for you ready to fly!!! In my case, I had them paint and finish it so I only had to stick the electronics, trim it and fly... Well worth the money since they do a way better job in finishing a plane than I can imagine to manage... They're pretty easy to fly if you have sone aileron experience... Even if you don't, if you bust her up, it's easy to put her back together since she's EPP...
Check out the damage from my first ever crash with the 152...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...S%26B+inverted
Old Apr 18, 2003, 11:09 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
I got bored tonight so I added some panel lines...

Easy enough to do with some fine point silver paint pens... I also added some contrast by using white zagi tape for the bottom side. Not as pretty or light as paint but it stiffens up the EPP fuse a little and protects the bottom during belly landings... It's much easier to keep track of orientation now although if she's too far away and you take your eyes off for one little second.... Poof!
Old Apr 18, 2003, 11:10 PM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
bottom side...

I don't know why I went all blue at first.... silly me...
Old Apr 18, 2003, 11:35 PM
Rochester, MN
Joined Nov 2002
983 Posts
Very nice planes and video. So is the Corsair the first of the group from S&B that you've assembled?
evan is offline Find More Posts by evan
Old Apr 19, 2003, 12:08 AM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
Hey Evan....

How is that 152 flying?
Yes, the Corsair is the first. I'll fly it for about a week or so until I get relatively proficent at it. I'm still tweaking the trim and CG a little. It requires a lot of down elevator when flying inverted for long periods and I wonder if that's a Corsair quirk or a problem with my CG. Otherwise she's fast, quick and manouverable. The video doesn't do it justice but this plane can probably turn inside the 152 easily...
Next on the table (probably late next week) is the Me163 Komet. I'll build it with a QRP 400 at first.
After that I think I'll do the Sea Fury (in my opinion, the prettiest of the bunch) powered by a regular 400.
The last will be the custom Spitfire (this thing is huge!) powered by a 5 turn Mega...
It's just a matter of finding a job to pay for these toys... hehe
Old Apr 19, 2003, 01:21 AM
Check out my RC Video Blog
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
ha ha ha thats great, i specially loved the music, perfect for each plane!
dwholler is offline Find More Posts by dwholler
Old Apr 19, 2003, 09:52 AM
Boise
Joined Sep 2002
984 Posts
thx dwholler...

the hardest thing about putting the videos together is actually finding the proper music to download (for free)....
Old Apr 21, 2003, 08:23 AM
Rochester, MN
Joined Nov 2002
983 Posts
The 152 is flying well but i'm still adjusting, readjusting, threadlocking etc. and just trying to sort it out. the Kavan props are certainly tougher than the CAM's but offer less performance and have to be balanced. Dont know much about the Corsair's flying characteristics but I do know that it has trouble pulling out of spin. Keep us in touch with the rest of the planes. I'm back from MN and flying everyday
evan is offline Find More Posts by evan
Old Jul 14, 2009, 04:55 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnidaho
Gotta love warbirds! I wonder if these two actually met in combat almost 60 years ago...
flipnidaho-
your the first guy iv met that lives in boise where do you live we could go fly together sometime
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity