HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:21 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
mine with a reccomended hacker came out waay too tail heavy for my liking... my batteries was as far forward as i could get them...

are you measuring by wingtips or wing root?
All CG dimensions on all 3DHS planes including the Edge, which doesn't matter as it has a straight leading edge, are measured from the root of the wing...

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:23 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,473 Posts
I balanced by the root.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:37 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
All CG dimensions on all 3DHS planes including the Edge, which doesn't matter as it has a straight leading edge, are measured from the root of the wing...

SteveT.
i know that, you know that but here long time ago was one guy complaning that he measured CoG perfectly but plane is WAAAAAAAAY tail heavy, and in the end the problem was sourced that he measured from tip of the wing, not root!

so not everyone knows that! its like computer technicians can ask, did you tried switching your computer on?
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:49 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,155 Posts
Yup...or as when the blond secretary, after calling tech support for her computer after the screen went blank and was asked by the tech...is your computer plugged in, she answered...I can see it's too dark in the room......Tech says turn on the light...she....I can't, the electricity went out....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:27 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,408 Posts
Wait isn't the 51 slicks cg measurement from the wingtips? I believe its the only one like that. All others are at the root.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:55 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Wait isn't the 51 slicks cg measurement from the wingtips? I believe its the only one like that. All others are at the root.
Ok....I stand corrected..I am very surprised at that.....but it would not be hard to figure out a root measurement, which would be needed if using a CG machine...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:23 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,548 Posts
Which version of the Motrolfly 4315 is the direct bolt on for the 57? I don't want to have to redrill.
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:30 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Which version of the Motrolfly 4315 is the direct bolt on for the 57? I don't want to have to redrill.
Fiberglass mount version....or the lightened aluminum, not stock...

Edit.....I have been told that with the aluminum you still have to drill the firewall, sorry for this misinformation....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 03, 2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:56 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,548 Posts
Got it thanks!
Will go the Aluminum route then unless noted otherwise...
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:00 AM
Joined Jan 2010
208 Posts
just wanted to mention that I liked 15x8 more on my extra57 compared to 15x7; the plane is alive now and more energetic. but I dont do much hover and slow stuff.... Motrofly 4315 714 and 4s
ThreeDwannabe is offline Find More Posts by ThreeDwannabe
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:25 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,184 Posts
Steve with all due respect to your infinite wisdom, I bought the aluminum mount, being a machinist, I thought it would be stronger. It did not fit without redrill. I went out to the minishop in garage and made my own aluminum no redrill mount, so good idea to double check. Anyway I remaidened my 57 SC yesterday, new Motrolfly 4315 and new digi servos all the way around. Savox in the tail and Hitec in the wings. After what happened to RCDrum with his new Motrolfly 57, I thought I should give him the first pull, holy sheepdip, talk about power! We were both giggling like schoolkids! Every plane I fly has Motrolfly now. This made a great plane even BETTER!!!
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:15 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
With all the talk about the motrofly 4315 motor, what props are you using? Doesn't the 4315 have an 8mm shaft? Isn't that to big for APC-E props? What about spinners? A prop can be reamed but an aluminum back-plate spinner can't...

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:36 AM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne View Post
Steve with all due respect to your infinite wisdom, I bought the aluminum mount, being a machinist, I thought it would be stronger. It did not fit without redrill. I went out to the minishop in garage and made my own aluminum no redrill mount, so good idea to double check. Anyway I remaidened my 57 SC yesterday, new Motrolfly 4315 and new digi servos all the way around. Savox in the tail and Hitec in the wings. After what happened to RCDrum with his new Motrolfly 57, I thought I should give him the first pull, holy sheepdip, talk about power! We were both giggling like schoolkids! Every plane I fly has Motrolfly now. This made a great plane even BETTER!!!
So I'll go wil fiberglass!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:03 AM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
With all the talk about the motrofly 4315 motor, what props are you using? Doesn't the 4315 have an 8mm shaft? Isn't that to big for APC-E props? What about spinners? A prop can be reamed but an aluminum back-plate spinner can't...

-Brian
As for props, I use Xoar 15x7. As for the backplate, you can drill them out.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:06 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post

-Brian
I'm using a Xoar 15x8. The shaft is 8mm and it's not too big for an APC-E prop. You may have to ream the prop hub out a little... can't remember.

As for spinners - get an Extreme Flight 2.5" spinner and it will fit like a charm.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm