HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:54 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDwannabe View Post
I was so happy to land my extra nicely after the successful maiden flight the weekend before last....so happy that I got excited and hit the fence while taxiing and broke the Falcon 15x7. Anyway, I bought 15x8 APC that's not fitting (too small) to go over the prop adaptor of my motrofly!! I thought the adapters are standard or at least small enough to go through the props...use washers for smaller holes on the props...anyway, What do you suggest? I dont want to enlarge the hole in the prop. I think that will mess up its balance. I think I should go with wood props again.
thanks.
I would just get another wood prop. I feel wood has a better feel and it also has less flex.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:58 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
I really like the sound of the APC compared to wood especially when you do KE spins. The wood ones wont make that loud noise I think. What do you think about the carbon fiber ones?
ThreeDwannabe is offline Find More Posts by ThreeDwannabe
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:05 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,834 Posts
Just drill it out carefully and rebalance it, or get a Xoar 15x8.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:06 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,573 Posts
Quote:
I really like the sound of the APC compared to wood especially when you do KE spins. The wood ones wont make that loud noise I think. What do you think about the carbon fiber ones?
I have never used a carbon fiber. However the "extra sound" you here is the APC prop bending and twisting. the Xoar does not make as much because it does not flex as much. the wood will be a lot better on your motor.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Just drill it out carefully and rebalance it, or get a Xoar 15x8.

I dont have a balancer. So likely I will get another wood prop, likely Falcon because I hate to order a Xoar and then realized it won't fit and then I have to return it which might take me a long time to do!!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I have never used a carbon fiber. However the "extra sound" you here is the APC prop bending and twisting. the Xoar does not make as much because it does not flex as much. the wood will be a lot better on your motor.
Thanks, thats good to know. So will try to order a Falcon again. Do you know where I can order the Falcons quickly? are they as good as Xoar?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:14 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,573 Posts
Quote:
I dont have a balancer. So likely I will get another wood prop, likely Falcon because I hate to order a Xoar and then realized it won't fit and then I have to return it which might take me a long time to do!!
the wood props can come unbalanced also.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:15 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,573 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, thats good to know. So will try to order a Falcon again. Do you know where I can order the Falcons quickly? are they as good as Xoar?
I have not tried a falcon yet, but I believe ADC hobby sells them. As for Xoar tower seems to have the best price for them.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:24 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
i THINK that xoar and falcon in 15" had the same hole... but dont take my word for it, just call the shop and ask them...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:25 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
let me put it this way... my opinion is... on 42" slick going xoar to falcon was like meeeh....i liked xoar better... while on my 57" going from xoar to falcon, was like plane got another life!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
I searched aeroworks, ADC hobby and esprit models. they dont have 15x8!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
let me put it this way... my opinion is... on 42" slick going xoar to falcon was like meeeh....i liked xoar better... while on my 57" going from xoar to falcon, was like plane got another life!
Thats good to know...if I can find one.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:36 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,458 Posts
Quote:
I was so happy to land my extra nicely after the successful maiden flight the weekend before last....so happy that I got excited and hit the fence while taxiing and broke the Falcon 15x7. Anyway, I bought 15x8 APC that's not fitting (too small) to go over the prop adaptor of my motrofly!! I thought the adapters are standard or at least small enough to go through the props...use washers for smaller holes on the props...anyway, What do you suggest? I dont want to enlarge the hole in the prop. I think that will mess up its balance. I think I should go with wood props again.
thanks.
APC's can be easily drilled out, a drill press is best, to do this, but you can use a hand drill if needed.....and, the existing center hole of APC props are not always exactly centered. That is why they give you the plastic rings that go into them to center them. That said, for some stupid reason, the included rings are SAE sizes instead of metric, and 99.999% of our motors have metric shafts. But....APC has metric adapter rings, and I believe AeroMicro in Santa Clara has them, if not Perry can get them for you....or I even have a few.... If you want me to drill out some props for you, I would be happy to, as I do have a drill press.... You can also use a metric prop reamer, which you can get at AeroMicro.

I also have a balancer so we can balance your props.....

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 30, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Hi Steve, I did enlarge the existing center hole and now it fits; Thanks.

Here is the website I found for the Falcon props if anyone needs to order; I dont think they say where in US they arre located. but I emailed them to find out where they are...

http://www.falconpropellers.com/
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:01 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,590 Posts
A prop reamer works nicely. They're only about $10.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer