Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:09 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,833 Posts
Just doing my part today to sell more 57 SC's and Motrolfly's.....

Ended up Perfect Conditions at flight time. Was blowing a lot before I got to the field. By the time I put the wings on and ready to takeoff it was almost was calm! That's a switch!

This was the second flight, the HatCam was too high on the first one, but this was a better flight anyway.

3DHS 57 EXTRA 330 SC CLOSE ENCOUNTERS (4 min 33 sec)
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:25 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I wish I had caught it on video. It was pretty spectacular!! It's just one of those things though... it was nobody's fault really. We both took it pretty well.

It took me forever to find the motor though. We find it at least 300 yards away from the crash site!!
Michael, really sorry to hear about the crash. I know how much fun you were having with that plane.
edf_rookie is offline Find More Posts by edf_rookie
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:24 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,176 Posts
Well I am on my way - just ordered from Ken a 4315-714. I may need to wait to see if 3DHS takes the Sleigh out for a spin around Christmas and bless us with another discount.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:26 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,451 Posts
Well...most people don't fly this one on 5S....but that doesn't say it can't be done, as it can.

As to handling breezes/wind....it flies great in the wind, the only thing that I have found, is since it is light and floaty, it does get bounced around a bit on landing compared to the 59" Slick.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:47 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Anyone want a brand new ICE 100 esc? It hasn't even had a lipo hooked up to it. I'm not gonna use it. I put my ICE 50 in my 48 Edge this morning, put 3 packs through it. On the 4th pack, I took off and got to about 30', then everything went dead. No radio, no anything. It went straight down, and the battery slid forward into the motor shaft, puncturing the lipo and burning the entire front of the plane.
is it an ice lite or regular?
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:17 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,586 Posts
Regular.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:28 AM
Joined Jan 2010
214 Posts
Speaking of, which one is better regular or ICE lite?
ThreeDwannabe is offline Find More Posts by ThreeDwannabe
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:06 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,451 Posts
The ESC and BEC portions are basically the same, the lite just doesn't have any form of heat sink at all. If I were going to be putting a 90 amp load fairly continuously through the heat sink, even though it is rated for it, I wouldn't use a lite. And....quite truthfully for a 57(ish) inch plane, the difference in weight is negligible, and the "heavy" is much easier to mount....just my opinion, YMMV....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:51 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Well...most people don't fly this one on 5S....but that doesn't say it can't be done, as it can.

As to handling breezes/wind....it flies great in the wind, the only thing that I have found, is since it is light and floaty, it does get bounced around a bit on landing compared to the 59" Slick.

SteveT
Thanks Steve,
Might have to take another look at the 59" Slick. Might be more suited breezy conditions and to 5s ? I did like the look of the Extra though...
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:30 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Thanks Steve,
Might have to take another look at the 59" Slick. Might be more suited breezy conditions and to 5s ? I did like the look of the Extra though...
just because people havnt been running it doesnt mean you shouldnt! im thinking about a 6s setup on a 57. its really about what equipment you have and keeping the weight within range. If you use a 5s pack just make sure it is a similar weight to a 4s4000 pack and runs a similar prop to what is recommended (which means the correct kv)
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
I was running a 4315-668 on 5 cells in my 59. My batteries are 3000 Turnigys and 3300 gens. When running the 3300s my battery is against the wing tube for a slight nose heavy CG. I am pulling the motor and I am going to run a Hacker A40-12s on 5 cells in it. 3ozs lighter so I will be able to slide the batteries forward some. The 4315-668 is going in my 57SC and will run in that plane on 5 cells. With all my questions about which of the planes would do best with the lighter setup I came to the conclusion it would be the Slick.
Mr Big Head is offline Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
Also kinda sucks when you buy what is supposed to be the best and it fails and costs you the plane. I have a few older Castle speed controls and they have worked great. I have been running the 60 amp and 80 amp Platinum Pros in 5 planes for 2 years with Zero issues. ( knock on wood) If they are run at their rated capacity they are barely warm after a flight.
Mr Big Head is offline Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
just because people havnt been running it doesnt mean you shouldnt! im thinking about a 6s setup on a 57. its really about what equipment you have and keeping the weight within range. If you use a 5s pack just make sure it is a similar weight to a 4s4000 pack and runs a similar prop to what is recommended (which means the correct kv)
This is my humble opinion, but I just switched from a 6S to 4S setup, and it is far more enjoyable on 4S. 6S is great if you want more speed and precision, but the 4S still has plenty of zip and is a lot more manageable power.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:53 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,322 Posts
if the effective prop speed and size is the same via a 4s or 6s setup why would the 6s be more powerful or harder to manage?
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,586 Posts
It could be in my head I guess, or maybe my skills have improved some since I last flew it on 6S. I also had a 385kv motor on it for 6S, so it was over-motored and swinging a 17x8 prop. The motor was quite heavy, and it didn't like low speed stuff. I reckon I would have enjoyed it more with an ideal setup. I'm lovin it now though!