HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
It just takes some getting used to on the Extra. If you tried to hover something like an Edge or a Slick it would be much easier than the Extra.

I agree. I think it also makes up for it when it comes to rolling harriers. It seems like the Extra will do them in super slow motion and man oh man... nearly gives me a woody! TMI I know...
HAHA. I actually found rollers to be a little easier in my 74" Edge than my 71" Slick.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:03 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
HAHA. I actually found rollers to be a little easier in my 74" Edge than my 71" Slick.
I'll have my 70" Slick in the air soon. I can't wait to do a comparison.

My 51" Slick is fun to do rollers with but I find my 57" Extra even floatier and easier to do nice high alpha slow rollers with thatn the 51" Slick which seems to like a little more speed.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:14 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awagar View Post
I moved the off-topic posts to this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756674
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:25 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
sigh... i guess i just freed a space and gear for upcoming EF 60 laser... this was my first over 48" plane, it taught me around half of what i can do now(with the other half being 42", 3rd half my telinks and 4th half my phoenix sim), it had been repaired once and soon it would have reached 1year... good by my friend!

but on the serious side... what can be more dumb than swapping aeleron servos AND forgetting to check wich way they are going, AND getting them reversed AND wanting to do a roll on takeoff... >.< in about 6 month after i got reversed aelerons on my 42" wich i got down nicely, i have been doing preflight every takeoff, and every takeoff aelerons was correct... why did it had to be today??? plane just got broken in half and front is a real toast all the way up to the wing tube... i will not throw it out or strip.... any way im getting a 60" edge first wich i have all the gear for and after that we will see, maybe i will get a new MB, covering iron and some loooon winter evening gona piece it back...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:38 AM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,980 Posts
That sucks man. Sorry to hear that!
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:43 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
that was simply sooooo stupid.. why did tried roll on takeoff? if i had gotten the plane a bit higer, i might have time to switch my brain that aelerons are reversed, but 1' off the ground, no chance...

but thanks...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:35 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
that was simply sooooo stupid.. why did tried roll on takeoff? if i had gotten the plane a bit higer, i might have time to switch my brain that aelerons are reversed, but 1' off the ground, no chance...

but thanks...
Hate to hear that man.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:05 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,015 Posts
Sorry to hear that....I am, I am, I am!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
thanks! and to sweeten the day i fried 3d buster rudder servo... eh, well, at least a new space in hanger!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:42 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Got to sneak out and have a little fun with my 57" tonight after dinner before the sun went down. I think this is now my favorite plane. Even beating out my 51" Slick.

I lost a wheel pant this weekend. Was doing some rollers and off it flew WAY out in the field. I guess it had come loose. I need to order another set so please excuse my ghetto Extra...

3DHS 57" Extra FLight One (5 min 50 sec)

3DH 57" Extra Flight Two (5 min 46 sec)
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:49 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,024 Posts
Quote:
Got to sneak out and have a little fun with my 57" tonight after dinner before the sun went down. I think this is now my favorite plane. Even beating out my 51" Slick.

I lost a wheel pant this weekend. Was doing some rollers and off it flew WAY out in the field. I guess it had come loose. I need to order another set so please excuse my ghetto Extra...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCze...ature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aSSC...ature=youtu.be
I think I can equal the wheel pant feeling. I was flying my fathers "baby" this weekend and one wheel flew off in a violent snap (shouldnt have done it but he said "lets see what she will do" You never say that to me if you dont have a lil extra glue in strategic places. And this really isnt a new plane by at least 10 years. CG was off and it went nuts BUT "we" did it and all ended well.
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:59 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
nice inverted harrier to hover, and great torque rolls as usual, how would you compare this to the 60" EF you have
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:25 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
nice inverted harrier to hover, and great torque rolls as usual, how would you compare this to the 60" EF you have
I just recently sold my 60" EF Edge to help fund my 70" Slick.

BUT... It's hard for me to give a fair comparison because I have my 57" Extra outfitted with far better gear than I had on the EF Edge. I think had then be on an equivalent setup it would've been a tossup for me. From my short time with the EF Edge I can say that it hovers and torque rolls about as easy as any plane I've ever flown. So it has the edge (pun intended) on the Extra in the category by a long shot. They both perform equally as well as the other in KE performance. But the Extra gets the nod by a long shot on speed and precision (the speed part is more setup related though). Harriers that are ALMOST equal but the Extra wins by a hair in my book. The Extra is completely locked in both upright and inverted harriers. For some odd reason the Edge was equally as locked in in upright harriers but not as much in inverted harriers.

Rollers - this is where I LOVE my Extra. It can do nice slow rollers much better than the Edge in my opinion.

The Extra seems to also excel in high energy manuevers whereas the Edge just feels a little clunky. I think it's the wing design though.

But don't get me wrong - the EF 60" Edge is a great plane. I think it depends on what you enjoy more. But for me personally, I think the Extra is more versatile. The only downfall of the Extra is that it's a little tricky to hover but I kinda like the challenge.

Oh and thanks for the kind words. I was having a blast with this little guy tonight. I'm not wondering if I wasted my money on the 70" Slick. I think I need a 72" Extra something FIERCE!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:35 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
isn't it funny how as we progress we start call 57" size planes "little guy"
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:38 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,024 Posts
Quote:
I just recently sold my 60" EF Edge to help fund my 70" Slick.

BUT... It's hard for me to give a fair comparison because I have my 57" Extra outfitted with far better gear than I had on the EF Edge. I think had then be on an equivalent setup it would've been a tossup for me. From my short time with the EF Edge I can say that it hovers and torque rolls about as easy as any plane I've ever flown. So it has the edge (pun intended) on the Extra in the category by a long shot. They both perform equally as well as the other in KE performance. But the Extra gets the nod by a long shot on speed and precision (the speed part is more setup related though). Harriers that are ALMOST equal but the Extra wins by a hair in my book. The Extra is completely locked in both upright and inverted harriers. For some odd reason the Edge was equally as locked in in upright harriers but not as much in inverted harriers.

Rollers - this is where I LOVE my Extra. It can do nice slow rollers much better than the Edge in my opinion.

The Extra seems to also excel in high energy manuevers whereas the Edge just feels a little clunky. I think it's the wing design though.

But don't get me wrong - the EF 60" Edge is a great plane. I think it depends on what you enjoy more. But for me personally, I think the Extra is more versatile. The only downfall of the Extra is that it's a little tricky to hover but I kinda like the challenge.

Oh and thanks for the kind words. I was having a blast with this little guy tonight. I'm not wondering if I wasted my money on the 70" Slick. I think I need a 72" Extra something FIERCE!
Yes you definately wasted your money on the 70 slick. Its old!!! I have been challenged with the task of buying back all the "old fantasy" slicks and replace them with shipping paid new ones. Sooooo...
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY