SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:40 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,853 Posts
Finally got to fly the 57 SC again after the Elevator servo replacement.

A few clicks if Up Trim and she was back to normal.

This was the third flight. I didn't shoot vid on the first because I figured I would be trimming a lot. Took off into the breeze and popped right into hover. Drifted across the parking lot with the wind and did two sweet TR's in a row, straight and smooth as could be, then rolled out into rollers. Never done that before. Then I wished the HatCam was on.....

Some coach and his little girl showed up for the second flight, so I left the HatCam off in case there was talking. Stuck it on for the third after flying the Yak for one and nobody was around.

My first ever YouTube vid...

3DHS 57 Extra 330 SC (4 min 50 sec)
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:59 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Finally got to fly the 57 SC again after the Elevator servo replacement.

A few clicks if Up Trim and she was back to normal.

This was the third flight. I didn't shoot vid on the first because I figured I would be trimming a lot. Took off into the breeze and popped right into hover. Drifted across the parking lot with the wind and did two sweet TR's in a row, straight and smooth as could be, then rolled out into rollers. Never done that before. Then I wished the HatCam was on.....

Some coach and his little girl showed up for the second flight, so I left the HatCam off in case there was talking. Stuck it on for the third after flying the Yak for one and nobody was around.

My first ever YouTube vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI28UpfITRM&feature=plcp
Nice flying Warren! The KE Spin to inverted flat spins were cool! I love doing those nose over to inverted harriers lie you did too. Sweet plane!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:44 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,853 Posts
Trying to Undo the (Enhancements) that YouTube did. Lesson learned... The lighting is way off now. Too dark underneath the clouds and when Inverted.

Yeah those are all fun! Was really nailing the KE Spins today with it, which I haven't so much in the past. Just found the groove it likes to run in finally.

The Pushovers are fun. Had some strange air currents there today due to the direction. Building, road and billboard all do strange things to that zone when it is from the SW, which was quartering the field from behind me. Was getting pushed around when floating down Inverted over near that big triangle billboard. Main reasons I learned to avoid this site and fly across the road on the other side at JVS.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:24 PM
United States, CA, Shingle Springs
Joined Jul 2007
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Trying to Undo the (Enhancements) that YouTube did. Lesson learned... The lighting is way off now. Too dark underneath the clouds and when Inverted.

Yeah those are all fun! Was really nailing the KE Spins today with it, which I haven't so much in the past. Just found the groove it likes to run in finally.

The Pushovers are fun. Had some strange air currents there today due to the direction. Building, road and billboard all do strange things to that zone when it is from the SW, which was quartering the field from behind me. Was getting pushed around when floating down Inverted over near that big triangle billboard. Main reasons I learned to avoid this site and fly across the road on the other side at JVS.
So what do you do to get nice KE spins? I've had trouble getting mine to stay in KE spins. It seems to have a lot of rudder authority so full rudder is too much starting from a waterfall. I've played with less rudder and aileron and had a few good turns, but not a stable KE spin.
jlorenco is online now Find More Posts by jlorenco
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:43 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlorenco View Post
So what do you do to get nice KE spins? I've had trouble getting mine to stay in KE spins. It seems to have a lot of rudder authority so full rudder is too much starting from a waterfall. I've played with less rudder and aileron and had a few good turns, but not a stable KE spin.
I start from a tumble. And then use full rudder, full down elevator and neutral to a little left aileron. Sometimes I have to kinda mess with my aileron inputs to hold it.

When you hit the rumble just start anticipating the plane entering the KE Spin Position (wings pointing straight at the ground) and then go full elevator and add some throttle.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:01 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I start from a tumble. And then use full rudder, full down elevator and neutral to a little left aileron. Sometimes I have to kinda mess with my aileron inputs to hold it.

When you hit the rumble just start anticipating the plane entering the KE Spin Position (wings pointing straight at the ground) and then go full elevator and add some throttle.
would you mind measuring the length from spinner to rudder, and the width of the elevators for me when you get a chance. I am trying to figure out if I need to build another rack for this plane when I get it.

Thanks,
3Daddict
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:24 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Try this....straight up, back off the throttle....left hammerhead and as it comes over the to of the HH....take your right stick and in a circularish motion go from 9 O'clock......over the top..... to 3 O'clock position and work it from there.
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:18 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
Try this....straight up, back off the throttle....left hammerhead and as it comes over the to of the HH....take your right stick and in a circularish motion go from 9 O'clock......over the top..... to 3 O'clock position and work it from there.
3 O'Clock? That would be 0 elevator? Wouldn't you need Full down elevator?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:20 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post

-Brian
He's on Central time... Try 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock.
(on my 57, it's more like 11:30, needs a bit of aileron to keep it there...)
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:29 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post

-Brian
LOL whatever blows your skirt up but works great for me like I said. Maybe 1:30ish
Its the rolling the stick over the top to the other side from the hammerhead that will get you spinning and depending on when you catch it and the type of airplane/how you have it setup....you will have to get it groovin from there. Try it,,,, good luck!!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:39 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
597 Posts
Alright I'm back for a little more help. All of you who said that it was my rudder, were absolutely correct. It's warped pretty bad, quite honestly I'm not sure how didn't see this before.

I've tried to get the rudder straightened but with no luck so far. I'm contemplating cutting the hinges and trying to straighten it that way or buy a new one. Wanted to hear other people's opinions before I started surgery. Thanks
chq28 is offline Find More Posts by chq28
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chq28 View Post
Alright I'm back for a little more help. All of you who said that it was my rudder, were absolutely correct. It's warped pretty bad, quite honestly I'm not sure how didn't see this before.

I've tried to get the rudder straightened but with no luck so far. I'm contemplating cutting the hinges and trying to straighten it that way or buy a new one. Wanted to hear other people's opinions before I started surgery. Thanks
GENTLY bend it with your hand. While you've got it bent into the spot you want, use a heating gun or iron to tighten up the covering. This should start holding it into place. You may need to do this for a few cycles before you get it to where you want it. You may want to bend it beyond the point you need it as once you let go (after using the heat gun or iron to tighten the covering) it will spring back a little.

It's amazing how much the covering can hold.

If that doesn't work then it shouldn't be a big deal to remove the rudder and install a new one. Mine was a garage sale plane that somenoe had already installed the rudder on so they had to cut the hinges to get it back in the box. So I had to cut new hinge slots and install my own hinges.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,853 Posts
Quote:
First of all you need around 50-55 Down Elevator deflection to make nice ones. Easiest way is Tumble off a full throttle vertical. Sticks to the Outside Corners, Upper Right and Lower Left. I used to fly the Hammerhead/Stall turn entrances, but I can get in easier and faster off a Vertical Tumble.

Be ready to Catch It on the throttle when it comes around canopy facing you on it's side and hit Full Left, Full Down and Aileron at Center while adding power to full and rolling in a tad of Left aileron. The Extra tendency is usually to flatten out in an Inverted Flat Spin if not enough Left Aileron is held in while spinning. Lately I've been almost half way over from Center when I've got full power on.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,001 Posts
Speaking of garage sales....anyone heard anything?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:00 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,678 Posts
Yes
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...