HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:04 AM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
I use a single Gens Ace 25C 4S 4000 in my 57" and double them up for my 71" Slick. Those batteries work great in both planes. A pair should work fine in the 72" Extra. The weight of the 3800 and 4000 are about the same so go for for the larger ones.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:06 AM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta2001 View Post
Need some help guys. I am about to purchase batteries for this plane and need advice on which ones. Looking at gens ace 4s 25c 3800 and 4000. I like a floatier plane but I am also looking at a 72 inch next spring that these batteries need to work in also. Any ideas?
I run relatively lighter setups and I am using zippy 4S 4000 packs on mine and I like them a lot. With that size, my packs still need to be pretty far forward to get a slightly nose heavy cg. So, if you like slightly nose heavy cg's, then I would skip the 3800's and go right to the 4000's.

Plus, you are then perfectly setup to go 8S 4000 later for the 72".
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Mar 2005
76 Posts
Thanks guys. 4000mah it is then. Using them for both set ups sounds real good.

One more question. Are deans connectors ok to use or do I need something more heavy duty?
delta2001 is offline Find More Posts by delta2001
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:40 AM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
Quote:
One more question. Are deans connectors ok to use or do I need something more heavy duty?
You will get a lot of different opions on that. Deans will work, especially on the 57", but I prefer EC5s, especialy to solder up. Others prefer PowerPoles. One reason I use the EC5s is then I only need one paraboard to charge all my larger packs, 4s, 5s and 6s.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:53 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,867 Posts
On this size ship, Deans will definitely work. IIRC Joe uses Deans on his electric 104.
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:39 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
If you have good solder skills then the Deans are an excelent choice.

If you have problems soldering heavier wire then the deans could be a problem. don't over rate your skills.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:18 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:

better put on a fire resistant suit!!

Any of the popular connectors will work fine at this size. EC3or5 Deans, Power Poles.

As to the batteries I use ThunderPower 3900 25C packs and the plane flies nice and light. I also plan on getting a 71" plane next year and running 2 in series for 8S.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
If your just starting in this size so looking for a connector keep this in mind. Powerpoles are easy to use and hard to mess up. But for when you go bigger and start running your batts in series you really dont need a harness and less wire= less resistance. Just separate your pos and neg plugs from eachother and then plug one pos into the other batteries neg and then connect the remaining pos and neg together for your 8s output. Ive seen it done and work nicely. Also seen the connection point between the batteries used as a spot for an arming switch. Powerpoles also save you money on shrink wrap and solder. Not saying the other connectors arent great too but ive tried them all and just sharing my experience.

PS: get the crimpers. They are worth their weight in gold. I tried using regular crimpers for a while and had no clue what i was missing out on.
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
If your just starting in this size so looking for a connector keep this in mind. Powerpoles are easy to use and hard to mess up. But for when you go bigger and start running your batts in series you really dont need a harness and less wire= less resistance. Just separate your pos and neg plugs from eachother and then plug one pos into the other batteries neg and then connect the remaining pos and neg together for your 8s output. Ive seen it done and work nicely. Also seen the connection point between the batteries used as a spot for an arming switch. Powerpoles also save you money on shrink wrap and solder. Not saying the other connectors arent great too but ive tried them all and just sharing my experience.

PS: get the crimpers. They are worth their weight in gold. I tried using regular crimpers for a while and had no clue what i was missing out on.
+1 on the Power Poles and yes, get the crimpers!

But if you like or prefer soldering, the Power Poles are easy to solder. The crimping is just so easy, clean, and convenient!

And yes, I have used Deans, EC3, EC5, XT60, and Power Pole connectors. For my money the flexibility of the Power Poles can't be beat.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Last edited by Trill; Jul 22, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:40 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:

I'm using Anderson Power Poles on my 57" SC and love them. Prior to this I had only used deans.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:42 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
I'm excited to have ordered my 2nd 57" I had one a few years ago and sold it to go bigger. I have now realized that I LOVED this plane and want another one.
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:31 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
i've used APP's for about a year now. Best thing since sliced bread.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:18 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
i've used APP's for about a year now. Best thing since sliced bread.
Personally, I prefer home baked bread....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Need some help guys. I am about to purchase batteries for this plane and need advice on which ones. Looking at gens ace 4s 25c 3800 and 4000. I like a floatier plane but I am also looking at a 72 inch next spring that these batteries need to work in also. Any ideas?
go with the 25c 4000mah - this is exactly what I am running, great setup.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:07 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprob17 View Post
go with the 25c 4000mah - this is exactly what i am running, great setup.
+1!
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic