Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:56 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBFLYING View Post
Long time reader and first time poster looking for some guidance from the group. Recently started flying the 57 extra after several hundred flights with the 48 edge from 3dhs. Went with the motrofly 4315-714 on 4s and used 15x7 and 15X6 props. Biggest difference is the plane is a rocketship and wants to flat out scream. When I lower throttle to half it still wants to climb out of a hover and when I drop below half it really wants to slow the motor down too much for hovering. I can't seem to find a happy medium. I am using a spektrum DX6i which I know is limiting. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I purchased the 4315 for my 58" Edge, and it took some getting use to.

In my opinion, the 4315 714kv is alittle too much for the 57" Extra. This motor is better on the 58" Edge or the 59" Slick. The perfect Motrofly 4s motor for this airframe is the 3620 750kv, running a Xoar 15x7 prop.

The 57" Extra is my favorite 3DHS airframe. Its much easier to do most anything with.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:18 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,574 Posts
Perfect motor on 4s (and with a throttle curve maybe 5s too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
The perfect Motrofly 4s motor for this airframe is the 3620 750kv, running a Xoar 15x7 prop.
+1 on the Motrolfly 3620 750 kv on 4s! A 15x8 prop works well for a bit more speed.

Also, I bench tested a 5s 30c 3600mAH battery with a 14x7 APC with the Motrolfly 3620 750 kv after talking with Ken at Motrolfly.

Wow! If you want more power and speed for IMAC practice, try 5s. On a fresh battery the static test showed between 1050-1125 watts at 75 to 85 Amps on my watt meter and I was at only 3/4 throttle. The motor and CC Phoenix Ice 75 Amp ESC were barely warm.

But a throttle curve on 5s is necessary unless you like flying your plane like a jet or pylon racer!
Trill is online now Find More Posts by Trill
Last edited by Trill; Jul 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:06 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
I know this is a difficult comparison.

Who has flown both the 3DHS 57" Extra 330 SC and the EF 60" Extra 300 EXP?
What are the qualities and flight envelopes of each plane?
I have owned 2 - 57" Extras due to my fly low style, and have recently flown a friends 60" EF Extra.

I love both airframes. I think the 3DHS may be slightly easier to 3D and the EF may fly slightly better lines.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
I have owned 2 - 57" Extras due to my fly low style, and have recently flown a friends 60" EF Extra.

I love both airframes. I think the 3DHS may be slightly easier to 3D and the EF may fly slightly better lines.
Thanks for your reply. With my limited experience on both airframes, I believe you are spot on.

Temperatues in the 110 to 115 range were limiting my time at the flying field. But now that it's back in the 80s and 90s, I hope to get in more flying time on my 55"+ airframes. The elementary school which is only one mile from home is good for the smaller planes and foamies.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:24 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
597 Posts
Quote:
What ESC are you using? What are the settings on your ESC?
I'm using a ZTW 85A Opto with factory settings.

Brake setting (on/off- default off)
Battery type: (LiPo or NiCd/NiMh- default LiPo)
Low voltage cutoff setting (2.8V / 3.0V / 3.2V - 3.0 default)
Factory default setup restore
Timing settings (auto / low 7-22 / high 22-30 - default auto)
Start up (hard / soft / very soft - default soft)
Governor mode: (off / range 1/ range 2 - default off)
Motor rotation: (clockwise / counterclockwise - default ccw)
LVC cutoff type: (reduce gradually / stop with low throttle rearm - default reduce)
chq28 is offline Find More Posts by chq28
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chq28 View Post
I'm using a ZTW 85A Opto with factory settings.

Brake setting (on/off- default off)
Battery type: (LiPo or NiCd/NiMh- default LiPo)
Low voltage cutoff setting (2.8V / 3.0V / 3.2V - 3.0 default)
Factory default setup restore
Timing settings (auto / low 7-22 / high 22-30 - default auto)
Start up (hard / soft / very soft - default soft)
Governor mode: (off / range 1/ range 2 - default off)
Motor rotation: (clockwise / counterclockwise - default ccw)
LVC cutoff type: (reduce gradually / stop with low throttle rearm - default reduce)
ZTWs are great ESCs! So far (once they are set up IAW with the motor you are using with it), I see no difference between the ZTW, Castle, and Airboss as far as performance goes. In fact, the throttle linearity of the ZTW might be a bit better than most.

What motor and BEC are you using with your ZTW 85A Opto? I think soft start up works best with helicopters and geared motors.

How's your throttle curve working for you?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:55 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
597 Posts
Quote:
ZTWs are great ESCs! So far (once they are set up IAW with the motor you are using with it), I see no difference between the ZTW, Castle, and Airboss as far as performance goes. In fact, the throttle linearity of the ZTW might be a bit better than most.

What motor and BEC are you using with your ZTW 85A Opto? I think soft start up works best with helicopters and geared motors.

How's your throttle curve working for you?
I have no complaints so for with ZTW either. I'm using there 6A UBEC and Motrolfly 3620.

I've done a little more looking at my throttle curve and I think that it is starting to make sense. I've never used one before and didn't know what to look for or expect.

To answer your question on the original throttle curve, I just want to smooth it out a little more through bottom and just past the mid point....at least that is what I'm thinking . We will see, I think it is going to be more trial by error and feel until I figure it out.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,574 Posts
Quote:
To answer your question on the original throttle curve, I just want to smooth it out a little more through bottom and just past the mid point....at least that is what I'm thinking . We will see, I think it is going to be more trial by error and feel until I figure it out.
Did you adjust the throtlle trim and sub trim as well as the travel of the throttle on your transmitter?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:01 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Quote:
I have no complaints so for with ZTW either. I'm using there 6A UBEC and Motrolfly 3620.

I've done a little more looking at my throttle curve and I think that it is starting to make sense. I've never used one before and didn't know what to look for or expect.

trial and error is typically what will work best for you. what feels good to me might not be right for how you fly. what i do is set the lower three endpoints higher to get the bottom end that i want and then visually adjust the top points to match the lower curve until i have a nice looking arc so the throttle feels smooth throughout the whole range. i hope that makes sense.
lammbn is offline Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:17 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
597 Posts
Quote:
Did you adjust the throtlle trim and sub trim as well as the travel of the throttle on your transmitter?
I have played with and I think Im all set on th throttle trim and sub trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
trial and error is typically what will work best for you. what feels good to me might not be right for how you fly. what i do is set the lower three endpoints higher to get the bottom end that i want and then visually adjust the top points to match the lower curve until i have a nice looking arc so the throttle feels smooth throughout the whole range. i hope that makes sense.
I set it up wrong the first time after reading your post, went vertical instead of horizontal I have redone it now and will try it out tonight or tomorrow to see if I like it.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,574 Posts
The RCGroups community

Quote:
One of the things I enjoy about the RCGroups community is the friendly and helpful people.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,574 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words

Quote:
Would you post a photo of your throttle curve from your transmitter or give the numbers from low to high from your transmitter?

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:30 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
597 Posts
Quote:
One of the things I enjoy about the RCGroups community is the friendly and helpful people.
Agreed, thanks for all the help guys.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Here you go. It might be a good place to start for you to work from yourself but it may need tweaking for your personal flying. I know my 58 and 57 with the exact same setups came out within a couple percent of each other. Ice 75 with fixed endpoints and motrolfly 3620 turning xoar 15x8 for my all out favorite setup.
lammbn is offline Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Here you go. It might be a good place to start for you to work from yourself but it may need tweaking for your personal flying. I know my 58 and 57 with the exact same setups came out within a couple percent of each other. Ice 75 with fixed endpoints and motrolfly 3620 turning xoar 15x8 for my all out favorite setup.
Thanks! I also use a DX8.

What batteries do you use with your set up?