HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:05 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Help from the group

Long time reader and first time poster looking for some guidance from the group. Recently started flying the 57 extra after several hundred flights with the 48 edge from 3dhs. Went with the motrofly 4315-714 on 4s and used 15x7 and 15X6 props. Biggest difference is the plane is a rocketship and wants to flat out scream. When I lower throttle to half it still wants to climb out of a hover and when I drop below half it really wants to slow the motor down too much for hovering. I can't seem to find a happy medium. I am using a spektrum DX6i which I know is limiting. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
IBFLYING is offline Find More Posts by IBFLYING
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,597 Posts
Do you have any expo on the throttle? If so, I'd dial that down and see what happens.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:04 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBFLYING View Post
Long time reader and first time poster looking for some guidance from the group. Recently started flying the 57 extra after several hundred flights with the 48 edge from 3dhs. Went with the motrofly 4315-714 on 4s and used 15x7 and 15X6 props. Biggest difference is the plane is a rocketship and wants to flat out scream. When I lower throttle to half it still wants to climb out of a hover and when I drop below half it really wants to slow the motor down too much for hovering. I can't seem to find a happy medium. I am using a spektrum DX6i which I know is limiting. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I just maidened my 57" Extra this weekend and had this exact same feeling. I'm also using the same motor as you. I haven't gotten a chance to fly it again since making these changes but, with the help of everyone here, I set up fixed end points on my ESC.

What ESC are you using? If castle then I'd do this first (look back a few posts for great instructions) and then you can set your throttle curve to your liking if that doesn't fix it.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I just maidened my 57" Extra this weekend and had this exact same feeling. I'm also using the same motor as you. I haven't gotten a chance to fly it again since making these changes but, with the help of everyone here, I set up fixed end points on my ESC.

What ESC are you using? If castle then I'd do this first (look back a few posts for great instructions) and then you can set your throttle curve to your liking if that doesn't fix it.
Thanks Turnem for the suggestion to read a few pages back. I will look into that. I am using a castle ice 100. I read a good suggestion to you to call Ken from Subsonic so maybe that will be on my agenda for tomorrow.

Quadracer. Thanks for the suggestion unfortunately my radio does not list throttle as an option for expo settings and I know this radio does not give airplane mode an option for throttle curve settings.
IBFLYING is offline Find More Posts by IBFLYING
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:05 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,597 Posts
Quote:
Quadracer. Thanks for the suggestion unfortunately my radio does not list throttle as an option for expo settings and I know this radio does not give airplane mode an option for throttle curve settings.
You're welcome, and I didn't know for sure if the DX6i had throttle expo or not. I use the same radio, but never had the need to mess with it, so I haven't explored the option.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:07 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Turnem for the suggestion to read a few pages back. I will look into that. I am using a castle ice 100. I read a good suggestion to you to call Ken from Subsonic so maybe that will be on my agenda for tomorrow.

I have an Ice100 on my 57 and just did the throttle calibration with my dx6i. I got 55 on the low and 72 on the high. That alone should give more resolution on the throttle. I know that when I was in a harrier or hovering I had to pulse the throttle to get the right power. Try to time the ail, rud, and elev inputs with the bursts of power to get the desired results.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:09 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:

Ken told me to use slow or normal timing so I'll stick with normal and try flying with my new fixed end points to see how it behaves.

I'm using that exact same ESC so hopefully we can figure it out. This plane sure will scream with a 15x7 prop though won't it???

But like you I feel like I've got a big gap in throttle response below mid stick... But that was with the ESC set to auto end points. So we'll see. I'll let you know what I think once I get to fly again - hopefully in the next day or so.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:22 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
i had to add a throttle curve with fixed endpoints to make my setups feel right. they were exactly as you were describing. i think it has a lot to do with how much power we are pushing on these planes. unfortunately with a dx6i that means either changing it to heli mode and programing it that way or upgrading to a better radio. the new dx7 or higher on the spektrum side. more and more of my planes are getting throttle curves lately to fine tune the way they feel. the bigger, less OVERpowerd planes seem to need a lot less work in my fleet.
lammbn is offline Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:39 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
i had to add a throttle curve with fixed endpoints to make my setups feel right. they were exactly as you were describing. i think it has a lot to do with how much power we are pushing on these planes. unfortunately with a dx6i that means either changing it to heli mode and programing it that way or upgrading to a better radio. the new dx7 or higher on the spektrum side. more and more of my planes are getting throttle curves lately to fine tune the way they feel. the bigger, less OVERpowerd planes seem to need a lot less work in my fleet.
How hard are throttle curves to put in?
chq28 is offline Find More Posts by chq28
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:08 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
not hard at all. to get rid of that feeling at the bottom of the stick movement you simply increase the throttle output points for those positions and then adjust the top end to create a smooth transition from idle to full throttle. when finished it looks almost vertical towards the bottom end and then arcs/levels out for the top end. not only does this help with that feeling but it also gives you more resolution in the throttle areas that most 3d flying is done.
lammbn is offline Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:21 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
If you find yourself bouncing up and down a lot in hovers then adjusting your throttle curve will help to solve that too.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:37 AM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,251 Posts
Can u put in throttle curve with dx7 in airplane mode? I didn't think so?? If so anyone know how?
IEATSRT is online now Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:51 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
not hard at all. to get rid of that feeling at the bottom of the stick movement you simply increase the throttle output points for those positions and then adjust the top end to create a smooth transition from idle to full throttle. when finished it looks almost vertical towards the bottom end and then arcs/levels out for the top end. not only does this help with that feeling but it also gives you more resolution in the throttle areas that most 3d flying is done.
Thanks, I am will play with that this afternoon. Never quite understood what I was looking for when setting it up.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:28 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
597 Posts
So I played with the throttle curve and I kind of see what it does, I think....anyways on a 5 pt. curve which points are you changing? I played with the first three, just curious which points change or do play with all of them until it feels good?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Throttle Curves

What ESC are you using? What are the settings on your ESC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chq28 View Post
So I played with the throttle curve and I kind of see what it does, I think....anyways on a 5 pt. curve which points are you changing? I played with the first three, just curious which points change or do play with all of them until it feels good?
Trill is online now Find More Posts by Trill