Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:16 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,756 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
And do you also hold the plane nose up in the air to see if it is going to lean out??

Actually, while I don't always do it (and I should), I totally agree with you Greg....

SteveT
I hate it when I don't check that and my electic motor leans and dies Darn electrons just don't flow uphill.
-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:08 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
600 Posts
Well I got the maiden out of the way It flew great. I hate that first flight, I always have to get my nerves in check.
chq28 is offline Find More Posts by chq28
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:02 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,522 Posts
Joke all you guys want!

EVERY flight gets a control surface check (movement AND direction), and a three second full power check. Just last week I caught two ailerons that I forgot to plug in on my 72" Extra. In the past I've caught a used pack that I installed by mistake, reversed ailerons that were plugged into the wrong channels, Tx on the wrong airframe, and several esc issues.

Saw a few reversed ailerons by other club members already this season that could have been saved with a quick preflight routine. 5 seconds of time can save a lot of $$$$ and time .
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:37 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Thanks for all the replies!!

I hate it when I don't check that and my electic motor leans and dies Darn electrons just don't flow uphill.
-Brian
I saw a video somewhere about two older gentleman that were flying buddies for many years that decided to go together and build their first electric plane. After they got it built, they took it out to the field, and were checking it out, and yes, they held the plane nose up to check it out....just habit I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
Joke all you guys want!

EVERY flight gets a control surface check (movement AND direction), and a three second full power check. Just last week I caught two ailerons that I forgot to plug in on my 72" Extra. In the past I've caught a used pack that I installed by mistake, reversed ailerons that were plugged into the wrong channels, Tx on the wrong airframe, and several esc issues.

Saw a few reversed ailerons by other club members already this season that could have been saved with a quick preflight routine. 5 seconds of time can save a lot of $$$$ and time .
Greg, as I said, I totally agree with you. Having lost one plane that way (ailerons were not hooked up.), I definitely do a pre flight check, but don't always run the motor up for more than just a blip...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:19 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,023 Posts
maidened mine tonite and it is hands down, one of the best that 3DHS has to offer in its size category. I have several of their planes, some smaller, but mostly bigger and this one is a keeper for sure.... Motrolfly motor, Ice 100, and Hitec 225 servos, One of my cheaper setups but impressive to say the least. Rock on S.Stoops and 3DHS!!!!!!!!

Now just the older 70" V1 AJ SLICK left to build (fantasy blue) and then back to filling the shopping cart again. I find it very easy to spend my hard earned money on these birds when they perform so much better than any other competitors offerings.
FIXXIN2FLY is online now Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Last edited by FIXXIN2FLY; Jul 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:24 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
Joke all you guys want!
EVERY flight gets a control surface check (movement AND direction), and a three second full power check.
+1, every flight.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Woo hoo! Got my maiden done this morning and this plane rocks!! I need a bigger prop though. All I could find locally was a 15x7 and I want to put a 15x8 on there as I felt I wasn't getting quite enough air over the surfaces in hovers and harriers (hovers mainly).

I did have one annoying issue this morning that caused some minor damage. I lost signal on my receiver. It could've been REALLY ugly. I was going into a blender and lost signal right as I started the inverted flat spin. At first I had zero control of my surfaces and she was nose down making a dive towards earth. I regained control surface movement but not my motor (I later learned that had I simply put my throttle down for a second I could've regained throttle - good to know for next time!). I elevatored down as best as possible and only ended up with some minor cracking shifting in the motor box near where the canopy attaches. I also busted up a wheel pant (no biggie). It LOOKS like my gear shifted a little but there's zero cracking in the fuse where the gear hits. I'm about to go comb over it and touch it up where necessary.

Anyway - I noticed one other thing that I'm hoping you guys can help me out with. I'm running a motrofly 4315-714 with a Ice lite 100. I seem to get very little throttle response on the low end of my range but then it JUMPS up about mid stick or so. This makes hovers a little more tricky and it also causes my harriers to be a little jumpy when down low. When I bound my DX8 last night I had to set my low throttle "travel" to 135 and my max travel to 150. Could this be my issue and if so how do I address it? Should I also change my timing to high from normal?

Thanks in advance!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
To start, make sure you don't have a throttle curve set on the DX8. Then set the Ice Lite throttle to "Fixed Endpoint" mode using the Castle Link (not sure if it can be done with the sticks.)

Then follow the video:
Throttle Calibration video

or pdf on settiing your radio for fixed end points:
setup_fixed_endpoints.pdf

If that doesn't help check ot make sure you don't have a mix that impacts the throttle.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,895 Posts
I think your timing should be on Low for this motor. Check with Ken.

You're Throttle EPA's sound about right, that softens the bottom end a bit, helps in Hovers. Play with that bottom number up or down in 5% Increments. You can static test it on the ground, move it up and down with power on and listen.

Congrats but sorry about the cutoff. What do you think caused it. Dip/Spike/Brownout? Are you running a separate BEC?

I just charged to go fly the 57, first time in a month since DTown cutoff and repairs. Looked outside and the road is all wet. We are not sure what that is from, we haven't seen that in over two months......
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:35 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
I think your timing should be on Low for this motor. Check with Ken.

You're Throttle EPA's sound about right, that softens the bottom end a bit, helps in Hovers. Play with that bottom number up or down in 5% Increments. You can static test it on the ground, move it up and down with power on and listen.

Congrats but sorry about the cutoff. What do you think caused it. Dip/Spike/Brownout? Are you running a separate BEC?

I just charged to go fly the 57, first time in a month since DTown cutoff and repairs. Looked outside and the road is all wet. We are not sure what that is from, we haven't seen that in over two months......
Thanks Warren. I'll check with Ken. We've had a few signal issues at this flying spot lately. This is the first one I'VE personally ever had but a few others have experienced it. In fact - a plane went down later this morning due to signal loss. There's clearly some sort of interference out there and it's in one area that we call the Bermuda Triangle. It's a huge field so I can easily steer clear of that particular area. It could've been WAY, WAAAAY worse so I'm feeling pretty lucky. I just combed over the plane and there's really hardly any damage at all - just two cracks that I've glued back together and she's really good as new.

No - I'm not running a separate BEC. Do you think I should be? I just used the field programmer to set my servo voltage to 6v and I turned off LVC.

As for the throttle travel - I have to set my low point to 135 or else the motor spins even when my stick is all the way down...

Maybe I'll try fixed end points as gremlin (the fastest garage sale poster on this side of the Mississippi!) suggested.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
To start, make sure you don't have a throttle curve set on the DX8. Then set the Ice Lite throttle to "Fixed Endpoint" mode using the Castle Link (not sure if it can be done with the sticks.)

Then follow the video:
Throttle Calibration video

or pdf on settiing your radio for fixed end points:
setup_fixed_endpoints.pdf

If that doesn't help check ot make sure you don't have a mix that impacts the throttle.
Thanks - I'll give this a go.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:44 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Maybe I'll try fixed end points as gremlin (the fastest garage sale poster on this side of the Mississippi!) suggested.

Definitely! Do not use Auto-Range. This will help. Use that PDF setup for Fixed Endpoints.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Definitely! Do not use Auto-Range. This will help. Use that PDF setup for Fixed Endpoints.
So I guess I use the file programmer to set fixed end points and then plug my throttle lead back into the receiver and then do the Calibration? Is that right?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Once you go to fixed endpoints you can make a throttle curve to make it feel right to you. I had to do this on both my motrolfly 3620-480's to get the throttle coming in faster and giving me more resolution on the top two thirds of the throttle range. At 25% throttle stick position i think i have the output around 40%
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:00 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
So I guess I use the file programmer to set fixed end points and then plug my throttle lead back into the receiver and then do the Calibration? Is that right?
That's the way to do it.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin