HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:27 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
That was the whole point of using thin ca, get everything all lined up, glue the ca hingeds, and then wick in thin around the joiner.

Glue wars
I think I'll go this route once my replacement elevator gets here. The original one is in the trash... I got pissed and snapped it into several pieces!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:47 AM
Team Hillbilly
Baltimore, Md
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I think I'll go this route once my replacement elevator gets here. The original one is in the trash... I got pissed and snapped it into several pieces!
Now I find that hard to believe.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:06 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,176 Posts
I'm with Joe Smith on this one. I've put together a half dozen planes using this method with NO problems. The covering to covering bond holds WELL on the horizontal stab with thin CA, so that's how I join the elevator.
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:42 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,641 Posts
Quote:
ok skar face.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:30 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
ok skar face.
Oooooh man!! Them is FIGHTIN' WORDS!!!
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:34 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
597 Posts
Quote:
ok skar face.
Quote:
Is that the second Skar face comment in as many days. What's up with that
chq28 is online now Find More Posts by chq28
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:57 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,961 Posts
OK, the 57 is almost finished. Waitin on the 100 ice and its go time. I will have to say that was one of the easiest builds yet from 3DHS. It just kinda fell together. I did have a little modifying to do to the motor mount to make the Motrol 3620 fit properly with the cowling (mainly the color and striping match. The motor box is very deep and I had to push the motor out 1/2" to get everything to line up. Still not perfect but good enough. Looking forward to 3DHS ship #4 of the 5 Ive purchased this year alone
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The family continues to grow
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:02 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,641 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chq28 View Post
Is that the second Skar face comment in as many days. What's up with that
I definitely took inspiration from the first one . I feel for both of you guys...I've been in the same mood of frustration and anger many a time. the nice thing is that if you continue in the hobby you start to accrue tools and skills that make everything easier and those moments start to become fewer and farther between.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:40 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
I definitely took inspiration from the first one . I feel for both of you guys...I've been in the same mood of frustration and anger many a time. the nice thing is that if you continue in the hobby you start to accrue tools and skills that make everything easier and those moments start to become fewer and farther between.
I do agree with that. I starting getting frustrated with this build before getting to that point... that was just the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:53 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
when i built mine, the one and only fustration (like on every 3dhs build for me) i screwed pull-pull setup lol... i didnt check and had a wire wrapped around ballink.. and i noticed it only after i had caed rudder servo side...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:16 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
when i built mine, the one and only fustration (like on every 3dhs build for me) i screwed pull-pull setup lol... i didnt check and had a wire wrapped around ballink.. and i noticed it only after i had caed rudder servo side...
Yea - seems like I screw one thing up on just about every build too so I know your pain!

On this one I had issues with the horizontal stab but it wasn't really my issue. This was a garage sale Extra and there was a slight issue with the fuse where the cutout for the horizontal stab goes so it would fit in very well. Plus I was missing a tail wheel but I just snagged one from my crashed 51" Slick.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:53 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,521 Posts
I just got my new Castle ICE 100 ESC for the plane and Aero-model tested and returned my A40-12s. I've never setup a castle esc before. I have the castle-link but there are so many settings there. Anyone have any idea what timing, pwm, etc I should use for the A40-12S?

*edit: I just hooked everything up soldered the EC3s on that Castle 100. What a pain that was!! I had to cut the wires trim about 10% off the diameter of the 10awg wire so that I could fit it into the EC3's bullet.

Am I an idiot for trimming a small amount of the wires? It is still 12awg in size.

Castle logging on a fresh 4S 3900mAh TP pack shows 68 amps and 885watts. Does that sound right?
The good news is I no longer have any acceleration problems. All the motor studdering/clunking and stalling is gone YAY!
I used 16khz PWM, normal timing(5), and medium throttle response. I set the cutoff to 3.3V soft, figuring it'd be better to lose a battery than the whole plane. Is that a good idea?
I also used the auto throttle sensing? is that good for a plane or should I use the fixed end points?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Jul 09, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:20 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I also used the auto throttle sensing? is that good for a plane or should I use the fixed end points? -Brian
Fixed end points has at least one benefit. "Auto throttle" requires you to run the throttle up to full throttle before each flight to enable the Castle ESC to calibrate the range of your throttle for smooth operation.

When you click on the "?" next to the functions within your Castle Link program when your Castle Link is connected to your computer you'll get helpful and sometimes useful information.

Hope this helps!
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:31 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Fixed end points has at least one benefit. "Auto throttle" requires you to run the throttle up to full throttle before each flight to enable the Castle ESC to calibrate the range of your throttle for smooth operation.
It's part of my preflight routine, and I've caught power system issues before getting in the air by doing it.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:29 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
It's part of my preflight routine, and I've caught power system issues before getting in the air by doing it.
And do you also hold the plane nose up in the air to see if it is going to lean out??

Actually, while I don't always do it (and I should), I totally agree with you Greg....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...