to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:39 AM
♫ Learning to fly ♫
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
You guys are going to love it. Try a 15x7 first then go down to 15x6 if its too much. Good luck finding a xoar 15x7, I just got a few proteks from amain
Got an apc to start with, just ordered some Falcon 15x7's from ADC.
dataylor57 is offline Find More Posts by dataylor57
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:02 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekir View Post
After flying my 57" 330SC for well over one year, I had an crash that took the 330 out. It sure was a great flying 3-D Aircraft.

I want to replace it with another 57" 330SC or the 58" 3DHS Edge. Anyone that has flown both models, I would like to hear had the Edge felt compared to 330SC.
Sorry to hear that Ed!

If I were to total my 57 SC after having it for two years, I would get the 58 Edge.

Only issue is, I would probably have to sell my motor and get a 4315 Heavy for it, because they have had issues being too tail heavy, so people adding weight. I would rather just get the heavy version of the motor and be done with it.

The Edge is a little more Pitchy, so I would like that for 3D, end over end and KE Spinning, great in Harriers etc. If you still enjoy the smooth and fast with some 3D, then I would stick with the Extra. I happen to like Edges so I would switch.

On another note, Hitec already received my two 225MG Servos yesterday for repair, so hope to have them back by next Friday.
heritageflyer is online now Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:29 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
the decal sheet that came with the 57 appears to be for the 47 extra 300 shp.... odd.
I have a set if you want themů one meeelion dollars!!

LOL, let me know the next time we fly and I will bring them.
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
Howey-in-the-Hills, Fl.
Joined Jul 2007
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Sorry to hear that Ed!

If I were to total my 57 SC after having it for two years, I would get the 58 Edge.

Only issue is, I would probably have to sell my motor and get a 4315 Heavy for it, because they have had issues being too tail heavy, so people adding weight. I would rather just get the heavy version of the motor and be done with it.

The Edge is a little more Pitchy, so I would like that for 3D, end over end and KE Spinning, great in Harriers etc. If you still enjoy the smooth and fast with some 3D, then I would stick with the Extra. I happen to like Edges so I would switch.

On another note, Hitec already received my two 225MG Servos yesterday for repair, so hope to have them back by next Friday.

Thanks Warren for the response. I think I will try the 58" Edge. I will still use my Hacker Motor from the 330SC. On this model I think I will eliminate the BEC and go with an A123 6.6 volt battery directly to the receiver. I will try to put the battery up front so I will not need very much extra nose weight for CG.

Down the road looking at the 71" Slick with an OS 33 Gas Engine

Ed
Ekir is offline Find More Posts by Ekir
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:28 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Red one ordered.
My first bird for this summer. Yayyyyy !!

Vien
vienquach is online now Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:27 PM
Russia,Moscow
Joined Jan 2007
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekir View Post
After flying my 57" 330SC for well over one year, I had an crash that took the 330 out. It sure was a great flying 3-D Aircraft.

I want to replace it with another 57" 330SC or the 58" 3DHS Edge. Anyone that has flown both models, I would like to hear had the Edge felt compared to 330SC.
I had a 57 from the first batch and for a very long period of time it was my favorite plane. My overall experience with it is about 650 flights. It's one of the best planes on the planet in this size. I sold it in order to get a 58 Edge. Never looked back to be honest. The Edge is very very cool and I like it as much as an Extra. They are a bit different from each other. Extra is much more precise where the Edge is more aggressive and maybe touchy, but it definitely pays of in 3d. If you want more violent airplane go with an Edge, but it would take some flights to get used to after the Extra. If you like stability and precision it might be better to stay with the Extra.
vic_bull is offline Find More Posts by vic_bull
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:55 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
New Power system

OK Aero-model (Hacker USA) is having me send my motor esc combo back. This clunking, studdering motor has almost cost me the entire plane too many times.

I figure while its all apart waiting for the replacement motor and ESC I'd see if I could tweak the setup a little.
My question is what prop would everyone recommend on a 610kv HackerA40-12S on 4S 3900mAh 25C batteries?

I've been using an APC 15x8-E. To me it feels like just enough speed wide open. Doing Pop-Tops I can only manage 1 rotation even after a pull up from a WOT pass. But I'm definitely open to suggestions.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:39 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_bull View Post
I had a 57 from the first batch and for a very long period of time it was my favorite plane. My overall experience with it is about 650 flights. It's one of the best planes on the planet in this size. I sold it in order to get a 58 Edge. Never looked back to be honest. The Edge is very very cool and I like it as much as an Extra. They are a bit different from each other. Extra is much more precise where the Edge is more aggressive and maybe touchy, but it definitely pays of in 3d. If you want more violent airplane go with an Edge, but it would take some flights to get used to after the Extra. If you like stability and precision it might be better to stay with the Extra.
Nice summary. Can't wait to build and fly my new Extra!!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:08 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
OK Aero-model (Hacker USA) is having me send my motor esc combo back. This clunking, studdering motor has almost cost me the entire plane too many times.

I figure while its all apart waiting for the replacement motor and ESC I'd see if I could tweak the setup a little.
My question is what prop would everyone recommend on a 610kv HackerA40-12S on 4S 3900mAh 25C batteries?

I've been using an APC 15x8-E. To me it feels like just enough speed wide open. Doing Pop-Tops I can only manage 1 rotation even after a pull up from a WOT pass. But I'm definitely open to suggestions.

-Brian
Not sure why they're still recommended the Hacker ESC for this setup. It just doesn't work. Get a Castle Ice 75 and all your woes will be gone. I had the EXACT same issue. Swapped it out and never had a problem again.

I thought 10s was the recommended motor for 4s.
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:54 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscap View Post
Not sure why they're still recommended the Hacker ESC for this setup. It just doesn't work. Get a Castle Ice 75 and all your woes will be gone. I had the EXACT same issue. Swapped it out and never had a problem again.

I thought 10s was the recommended motor for 4s.
Yeah the A40-10s 750kv swinging a 14x7 is what 3dhs recommends, but when I called Aero-Model to place the order I was STRONGLY advised that that setup would be over watts/amps for the motor and that there were numerous reports of motor problems, ironically hesitations and studdering. They recommended a 15" prop on the 610kv. It sounded logical at the time, If I had to do it over again I'd most likely go the A40-10s direction. Seeing as I'm now tied to the 610kv -12s and I don't have any 5s packs or even a charger capable of charging over 4S packs I'm looking for a way to get better performance out of what I have.

-Brian
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:56 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,655 Posts
As much as I like Hacker motors, the A40-10S is pretty anemic for 57-59" planes in my opinion..YMMV...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:12 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Yeah the A40-10s 750kv swinging a 14x7 is what 3dhs recommends, but when I called Aero-Model to place the order I was STRONGLY advised that that setup would be over watts/amps for the motor and that there were numerous reports of motor problems, ironically hesitations and studdering. They recommended a 15" prop on the 610kv. It sounded logical at the time, If I had to do it over again I'd most likely go the A40-10s direction. Seeing as I'm now tied to the 610kv -12s and I don't have any 5s packs or even a charger capable of charging over 4S packs I'm looking for a way to get better performance out of what I have.

-Brian
The 12s-610kv is a 5s motor though. Been using it on my Slick 59" with Xoar 15x8.
If you want to run the Hacker on 4s, A40-10s is a better option. I had no problem running 15x8 prop for 150+ flights. Again, this is 3D flying.

Vien
vienquach is online now Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:15 AM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Quote:

-Brian
Yeah, I went back and forth with aero-model too. They rate things as if you're flying full throttle the whole time. Not 3d flying.
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:48 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Thanks for all the responses everyone!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
As much as I like Hacker motors, the A40-10S is pretty anemic for 57-59" planes in my opinion..YMMV...

SteveT
How so? Prop Acceleration, bogged under loads? Just curious, I'd think that compared to a 610kv -12s it would feel like a rocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
The 12s-610kv is a 5s motor though. Been using it on my Slick 59" with Xoar 15x8.
If you want to run the Hacker on 4s, A40-10s is a better option. I had no problem running 15x8 prop for 150+ flights. Again, this is 3D flying.

Vien
Just curious how many amps/watts with that setup? I'd think with a wooden 15x8 on the -10s it would be about 85A-90A and 1200w-1400w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscap View Post
Yeah, I went back and forth with aero-model too. They rate things as if you're flying full throttle the whole time. Not 3d flying.
What did you finally decide on?

-Brian