SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:18 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
I've used skylipos a LOT (up to a 4s 2200) and have since been transitioning to all NanoTechs. The skys fail sooner, are heavier, and don't charge nearly as fast as the 5c that the Nanotechs offer. I'd recommend against it since you already seem to be using a superior battery... and from what I know, Zippys are worse than the Skys.
I think the only mainstream battery out there on par with the Nanotechs are the GensAce. Other than that, your spending more for the Hyperions or Thunderpowers.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:23 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickg66 View Post
I've used skylipos a LOT (up to a 4s 2200) and have since been transitioning to all NanoTechs. The skys fail sooner, are heavier, and don't charge nearly as fast as the 5c that the Nanotechs offer. I'd recommend against it since you already seem to be using a superior battery... and from what I know, Zippys are worse than the Skys.
I think the only mainstream battery out there on par with the Nanotechs are the GensAce. Other than that, your spending more for the Hyperions or Thunderpowers.
I have had good luck with Blue Lipos, but others have not. They are lighter, more compact than the Nano's.

This summer one of the guys I fly with purchased 4 - 6s 5000mah Nanos, and two of them had a dead cell and puffed up after 1-4 flights. My Nanos I have had for about a year, and take forever to balance, but work fine.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:39 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,030 Posts
I have had no problems with Zippy's...puffed EVERY Turnigy I have had!!

That said, when I can afford them, I buy Thunder Power packs..

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:44 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickg66 View Post
Any chance you could either tell me which ones (25-50, 35-70, 45-90) or what their weight is?
I'm still not sure which motor for which plane... But my inclination is to put the lighter 3620 into the Extra since is already weighs a little more than the Slick...
I'm running the motrolfly 3620 custom 480kv in my extra. more than enough power with a 15x7 with 6s 2200mah, 7-8min flights too. i debated on going with the 4315 for my 58 Edge that is coming but cant really justify the extra weight when i already have too much power.

as far as packs, you cannot go wrong with gens ace. i am a true believer now. i have turnigy packs in both 3s 2200 and 6s 5000 ( for 71 slick) and i also have the same packs in gens ace. much more punch and less mah used for the same amount of time. i finally tried them after i got sick of hearing everybody rant and rave about them. I'm glad i did. they are a little more but definitely worth it. get the 35c packs if they are in stock but if not the 25c packs are treating me very well on this setup.

I might be getting a torque 4316-500 soon if a good deal goes thru. if i do i will be trying it on this plane to see how it compares. picking it up more out of curiosity than anything.
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:48 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
I'm running the motrolfly 3620 custom 480kv in my extra. more than enough power with a 15x7 with 6s 2200mah, 7-8min flights too. i debated on going with the 4315 for my 58 Edge that is coming but cant really justify the extra weight when i already have too much power.

as far as packs, you cannot go wrong with gens ace. i am a true believer now. i have turnigy packs in both 3s 2200 and 6s 5000 ( for 71 slick) and i also have the same packs in gens ace. much more punch and less mah used for the same amount of time. i finally tried them after i got sick of hearing everybody rant and rave about them. I'm glad i did. they are a little more but definitely worth it. get the 35c packs if they are in stock but if not the 25c packs are treating me very well on this setup.

I might be getting a torque 4316-500 soon if a good deal goes thru. if i do i will be trying it on this plane to see how it compares. picking it up more out of curiosity than anything.
The Gens Ace seem to be pretty good... That said, of the first three I bought, one dropped a cell at 46 days, with less than twenty flights on it. I called Hobbypartz, but as I said, it was 46 days, even though it took them four days to ship them and then three days to get here...and they have a 30 day warranty, so, I was a bit miffed (to say the least)...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:08 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
unfortunately as with everything there is always someone who had a problem with them. i have heard of a few other instances where people got dead cells or shipped the wrong packs but compared to the overwhelming vote of confidence most give them i figure that the percentage of people having problems was pretty low. usually you only hear about the bad things that happen, much like the spektrum fiasco, but you usually dont hear about all the good things or flights without incident on a daily basis or they just aren't given as much attention. so the large amount of good being said about gens ace is good enough for me, and a lot of others. if i get a bad pack i will chalk it up to a small percentage, try to get hobby parts to fix it, or just eat the relatively small cost to replace the pack compared to "high end" packs.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:35 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,193 Posts
i had a dead cell in one of the zippy 4S 4000 40Cs i got....and my dx7..ar500 and ar7000 have been flawless
aronph is online now Find More Posts by aronph
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
after a ru -in with HK I switched over to hobbypartz and love the sky pilps and gens ace batteries far better than nano or turnigy period.
propnut07 is offline Find More Posts by propnut07
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
i now refer them as "nano-puffs"

I switched brands after every one them puffed within a couple of months. all sizes and voltages. I do like how light they are tho. was the selling point at first. but not worth it now.
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:44 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome! View Post
i now refer them as "nano-puffs"

I switched brands after every one them puffed within a couple of months. all sizes and voltages. I do like how light they are tho. was the selling point at first. but not worth it now.
All mine died before 75 cycles. I wont buy nanos anymore.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 02, 2012, 08:59 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Well, all the nano bashing has me anxious. Yesterday I ordered 4 2650 3s Nanos to build my two 6s pairs...
I really haven't had any bad expeience with the smaller nanos, but when testing my 2200 3s pairs today in my 59" Slick, I had almost a 2v drop in total voltage when I ran up the motor on fresh batteries. I was only pulling 40a, and the batts should have been good up to 55 continous.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:25 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
well its official. I'm retarded. added washers to fix the thrust line of my motor and then changed my wiring harness because when i originally made it i didn't think of how long the battery wires were and had way too much wire in there. well to see how long the wires needed to be i grabbed an uncharged pack because i didn't want to open my ammo can to grab a charged one and set it inside. got all done with my adjustments and decided to go fly it out the end of my subdivision for just one quick flight. hey, i even already have a pack in there all strapped in. lets go flying....

well 5min into the flight i was coming in for a practice harrier landing about 5ft up when the pack finally hit lvc. 15 seconds sooner and i would have had 50ft of alt to get airspeed up and 15 seconds later i would have been on the deck. Now i need a new motorbox kit. might do a really ugly patch up for now to get it flying again seeing as how nobody knows when the motorbox kits are coming back. i'm so mad at myself right now
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:31 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
well its official. I'm retarded. added washers to fix the thrust line of my motor and then changed my wiring harness because when i originally made it i didn't think of how long the battery wires were and had way too much wire in there. well to see how long the wires needed to be i grabbed an uncharged pack because i didn't want to open my ammo can to grab a charged one and set it inside. got all done with my adjustments and decided to go fly it out the end of my subdivision for just one quick flight. hey, i even already have a pack in there all strapped in. lets go flying....

well 5min into the flight i was coming in for a practice harrier landing about 5ft up when the pack finally hit lvc. 15 seconds sooner and i would have had 50ft of alt to get airspeed up and 15 seconds later i would have been on the deck. Now i need a new motorbox kit. might do a really ugly patch up for now to get it flying again seeing as how nobody knows when the motorbox kits are coming back. i'm so mad at myself right now
if it makes you feel any better, im mad at you too
aronph is online now Find More Posts by aronph
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:38 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
Hello PreFlight...

I've had to put two MB's in mine.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Last edited by heritageflyer; Jan 03, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:39 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
if it makes you feel any better, im mad at you too
You're just mad cause he will take one of the MB Kits you need.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer