HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:37 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
just sent a payment for a nice yellow/blue one that another addict had NIB... so I'll be joining you all shortly! Now, to read through this thread....
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:33 AM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscap View Post
If you ever want to change a motor...don't use blind nuts. I out blind nuts in and now I'm stock with something that has the same x-mount which isn't a lot. In hindsight, I should have used the lock nuts.
If you really want to change your motor and it has a different X pattern, take your new X mount and mount it in a + fashion. That way the new hole locations will be in a spot where your old blind nuts are not in the way.

You can probably only do this once before you will want to either (a) replace the firewall (easier due to motor box kits being available) or (b) start adding some ply to the back of the firewall to give the firewall some strength again.
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:58 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashesALot View Post
If you really want to change your motor and it has a different X pattern, take your new X mount and mount it in a + fashion. That way the new hole locations will be in a spot where your old blind nuts are not in the way.

You can probably only do this once before you will want to either (a) replace the firewall (easier due to motor box kits being available) or (b) start adding some ply to the back of the firewall to give the firewall some strength again.
I just installed a Motrofly DM4315-714 in my 59" Slick, where a Hacker A40-10S had resided. I just knocked the blind nuts out then plugged the holes with some turned out pieces from a broken drum stick (very hard Ash), then move the holes out and re-installed the blind nuts on the same line. No problem, but then, it didn't look like there was room to turn the motor. You are definitely correct about not wanting too many holes in the firewall...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:22 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined Mar 2006
943 Posts
Steve if you don't mind, do you recall how much power you were making with the hacker and what prop, 4s?
Thanks,
Scott
Scooter0509 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter0509
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:27 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter0509 View Post
Steve if you don't mind, do you recall how much power you were making with the hacker and what prop, 4s?
Thanks,
Scott
Yeah... 14X7 APC gave me about 860 watts, 15X7 APC gave me about 930 watts (IIRC). Sorry don't remember the amps. I know I posted my findings right about the time I maidened my Slick... I'll go back and see if I can find the exact ones.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:10 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickg66 View Post
just sent a payment for a nice yellow/blue one that another addict had NIB... so I'll be joining you all shortly! Now, to read through this thread....
Slick-
Congrats- you'll love this plane. It is a blast to fly; honest and predictable. I love mine with the SFG's, but some prefer it without. It knife edges as well as your SV....maybe tracks better. and it does some stupid tumbling!! Perfect combo in my book. I have owned 2- and just sold one. Love them!
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:12 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashesALot View Post

Uh...that's a great idea. I'm dumb, never thought of that. I know people whose motor boxes look like swiss cheese as they continue to try out new motors.
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:34 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
well in the end i ended up ordering hacker a40-12s(at least i hope to be able to fly it on 4s and later if i want, upgrade to 5s) and motrofly 3625-800 european version (protronik brand)... i dont even know should i leave protonix, cause i havent heard that brand and motrofly is a bit upgraded protronix, and try hacker, or leave hacker for some other plane/replacement.... :/ anyway it will be at least 2-3 more weeks until i get motor and get this bird in the air...

and before someone explains to me that 3625 is not too good for 3d, i know that, but a) protonix does not currently have 3620-750 and im not too violent on my planes...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Last edited by rimaarts; Jan 01, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 06:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post
Slick-
Congrats- you'll love this plane. It is a blast to fly; honest and predictable. I love mine with the SFG's, but some prefer it without. It knife edges as well as your SV....maybe tracks better. and it does some stupid tumbling!! Perfect combo in my book. I have owned 2- and just sold one. Love them!
Thanks Luv3d! I really wanted this one, and they've been out of stock so long that I when I saw one available, I had to jump on it.
My biggest decision is motors. I've got a Motrolfly 3620/480kv on my 59" Slick, and a Motrolfly 4315/480kv on order.
Should I swap motors, or put the more powerful (and slightly heavier) 4315 into the Extra?
It seems the Slick weighs a little less than the Extra, so I'm not sure.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:14 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Luv3d! I really wanted this one, and they've been out of stock so long that I when I saw one available, I had to jump on it.
My biggest decision is motors. I've got a Motrolfly 3620/480kv on my 59" Slick, and a Motrolfly 4315/480kv on order.
Should I swap motors, or put the more powerful (and slightly heavier) 4315 into the Extra?
Well, for what it's worth, I fly this with a Hyperion (on the heavy side) or a Torque 4014, which is also 'weighty'. That in combination with a 4S4000 pack, and the plane is easily 5 lbs. I would be surprised if your 59 Slick is heavier than that, but it might be. I love the Motrolfly motor I have in my 42 Slick, and have considered putting a Motrolfly in my 51" Slick to try it out, but honestly I'm happy with my Hyperion setup in my 330 SC.

All that to get here: 570kv motor on 4S is great. 570kv motor on 5S- better. I fly a 16x8 on 4S, and it has plenty of power and vertical capability.
I fly powerful/heavier because it handles wind better and tumbles more violently, but I really like those characteristics, so for me it works.

Just $.02
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:04 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,520 Posts
Quote:
I fly the 3620 with a Xoar 15x7 on 4s 4000mah with 6.5 min flight time and love it.

A 6s 2200mah set up with Motrofly 4315 - 480kv sounds interesting on a 59" Slick getting 7 minute flight times.

What batteries do you want to utilize?
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post
Well, for what it's worth, I fly this with a Hyperion (on the heavy side) or a Torque 4014, which is also 'weighty'. That in combination with a 4S4000 pack, and the plane is easily 5 lbs. I would be surprised if your 59 Slick is heavier than that, but it might be. I love the Motrolfly motor I have in my 42 Slick, and have considered putting a Motrolfly in my 51" Slick to try it out, but honestly I'm happy with my Hyperion setup in my 330 SC.

All that to get here: 570kv motor on 4S is great. 570kv motor on 5S- better. I fly a 16x8 on 4S, and it has plenty of power and vertical capability.
I fly powerful/heavier because it handles wind better and tumbles more violently, but I really like those characteristics, so for me it works.

Just $.02
Based on the data on 3dhs's website, the 59" Slick is 1/4 lb LIGHTER than the 57" Extra... I've been going back and forth with Ken (Subsonic) quite a bit, and since my intent all along was to go with 6s, he helped me choose the wind for the prop I wanted, which is the 15x7 or 15x8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
I fly the 3620 with a Xoar 15x7 on 4s 4000mah with 6.5 min flight time and love it.

A 6s 2200mah set up with Motrofly 4315 - 480kv sounds interesting on a 59" Slick getting 7 minute flight times.

What batteries do you want to utilize?
Chet, right now I'm using two 3s 2200 Nanotechs 25-50c taped together and run in series. I'm putting about 1700-1800 back in after each flight, and I'm getting 6-7 minutes depending on the number of ke spins, tumbles, etc.

Which wind do you have on your 3620? How much do your 4s 4000 packs weigh?

-Gary
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:32 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Based on the data on 3dhs's website, the 59" Slick is 1/4 lb LIGHTER than the 57" Extra... I've been going back and forth with Ken (Subsonic) quite a bit, and since my intent all along was to go with 6s, he helped me choose the wind for the prop I wanted, which is the 15x7 or 15x8.

Chet, right now I'm using two 3s 2200 Nanotechs 25-50c taped together and run in series. I'm putting about 1700-1800 back in after each flight, and I'm getting 6-7 minutes depending on the number of ke spins, tumbles, etc.

Which wind do you have on your 3620? How much do your 4s 4000 packs weigh?

-Gary
I think its the 750kv wind, and I am using both the 4s 4000mah Nano Techs, and Blue Lipos.
Last edited by gabrielisrael; Jan 01, 2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: 750kv
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
I think its the 740kv wind, and I am using both the 4s 4000mah Nano Techs, and Blue Lipos.
Any chance you could either tell me which ones (25-50, 35-70, 45-90) or what their weight is?
I'm still not sure which motor for which plane... But my inclination is to put the lighter 3620 into the Extra since is already weighs a little more than the Slick...
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:11 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Any chance you could either tell me which ones (25-50, 35-70, 45-90) or what their weight is?
I'm still not sure which motor for which plane... But my inclination is to put the lighter 3620 into the Extra since is already weighs a little more than the Slick...
25-50c Nanos.. and I dont have a way to accurately weight them. BTW - I dont think they are the best choice. I will be trying some HK Zippys or the 30C HobbyPartz Sky Lipos. I have heard some good things about the Sky Lipos.