HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:32 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
so...finally i could start work on my extra... ( great job, rob, by the way, got my electronics in christmas time in week, america-london) but the problem is screws for servos(225mg)... they have like 5mm unthreaded top... and if i use 1.5mm drill-bit, i have to use too much force to screw them in, but if i use 2mm drillbit, they go in easily... but im not sure if unthreaded top wont cause screws to come out veery easy...

baaah... never mind, guess i found solution.. some strange looking black rubbery pieces wich i guess is meant as a spacers... :/ but why do one would need them? im guessing vibration? but only because of that?
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Last edited by rimaarts; Dec 30, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:35 PM
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jan 2008
927 Posts
Am I the only one who grabs a drill bit, compares it to the screw and says "yup, this will work" without giving it any second thought ? I drill the hole, run the screw through it, remove and apply thin CA to the wood, reassemble after curing and never give it any further thought.

I am pretty sure that I use a 1.5mm bit though as I buy them in bulk for my business and usually have them sitting around.
kwiktsi is offline Find More Posts by kwiktsi
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:37 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
Am I the only one who grabs a drill bit, compares it to the screw and says "yup, this will work" without giving it any second thought ? I drill the hole, run the screw through it, remove and apply thin CA to the wood and never give it any further thought.
emmm...well, my drill bits (more like my flatmates) comes in 1-1.5-2-2.5...1.5 seems a touch too small, but 2 seems a touch too big! :P he does not have 1.75! :P
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:41 PM
Joined Jan 2008
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
emmm...well, my drill bits (more like my flatmates) comes in 1-1.5-2-2.5...1.5 seems a touch too small, but 2 seems a touch too big! :P he does not have 1.75! :P
See my edit- I am pretty sure I use a 1.5, but I will double check. That may be for the smaller servo screws. It would be either a 1.5 or a 1/16" though, which is about 1.6mm as that all I typically keep with my pin vice, bigger and smaller bits are stored with my kit in the garage.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:57 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
yeah, i also figured im gona go with 1.5mm and slightly wobble it to get a touch bigger entry hole for unthreaded part....
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:57 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,470 Posts
Installing a servo is real rocket science, you will need a dial caliper that reads to 4 places to the right of the decimal. mesure the screw subtract .00014 and select a drill that size. Use a punch set to mark the location and insure that the drill is exactly 90*

I use a 1/16 drill a drop of thin Ca. If it is to tight re-drill with the next size up and fogetabot. Use the rubber gromets and the brass inserts, keeps the servo from shifting.(They are the strange black rubbery pieces)

don't make it complicated.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:45 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
well actually so far i have all servos done with 2mm drillbit... 1.5 was impossible to put screw after ca...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:51 PM
Joined Jan 2008
927 Posts
Quote:
well actually so far i have all servos done with 2mm drillbit... 1.5 was impossible to put screw after ca...
You drill, then use the screw to thread the hole, then apply CA to harden the threads. Sounds like you drilled, CA'd it, then tried to get the screw in.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:54 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
actually no... i drilled 1.5 , screwed screw in(without ca it was quite hard), caed, and after ca it was near impossible to get the screw in, i was afraid to break balsa, so all the rest of holes i did 2mm drill bits,screwed, caed, and screwed...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Jan 2008
927 Posts
Quote:
actually no... i drilled 1.5 , screwed screw in(without ca it was quite hard), caed, and after ca it was near impossible to get the screw in, i was afraid to break balsa, so all the rest of holes i did 2mm drill bits,screwed, caed, and screwed...
Regardless, at least it is done .
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:12 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
he...yeah, next problem im anticipating is blindnutting firewall when i will finally got my motor...... never done that before... how nessecary is to reinforce firewall?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:53 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,197 Posts
Quote:
he...yeah, next problem im anticipating is blindnutting firewall when i will finally got my motor...... never done that before... how nessecary is to reinforce firewall?
just use locknuts, locknuts
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:57 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
dooooh... where is the fun in going easy way? :P locknuts might be a good idea for swiss cheese firewall...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:27 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
Because of the issues with EF spinners, we have been using the Great Planes spinners. With the GP spinners, you have to cut or rout out the small prop area. GP provides a guide on the inside of the spinner for this.
Great Planes spinners are what I am using too. I had bought a couple of blue E.F. spinners as Great Planes doesn't have any blue ones in the proper sizes. Also bought a few others, but all have had "some" wobble...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Dec 30, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:30 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
dooooh... where is the fun in going easy way? :P locknuts might be a good idea for swiss cheese firewall...
If you ever want to change a motor...don't use blind nuts. I out blind nuts in and now I'm stock with something that has the same x-mount which isn't a lot. In hindsight, I should have used the lock nuts.
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap