HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:32 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshet89 View Post
Not true...if there is any gap in the hole from the spinner to the prop shaft it will cause the wobble. An apc spacer or something similar to close the gap and the wobble should be gone.
fine then...have your stupid rope
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-reevo View Post
Thanks.
did it explain anything?
aronph is online now Find More Posts by aronph
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,305 Posts
[QUOTE=aronph;20264702]fine then...have your stupid ropeQUOTE]

Who said anything about a rope? I was just making and intelligent non-babbling suggestion
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:25 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
He was smoking rope Josh he just wanted you to not forget him in the pass
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:34 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,193 Posts
no no no.....boondock saints......
warning...explicit lyrics
Boondock Saints Weapon Scene (2 min 1 sec)
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:36 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,305 Posts
Oh ya, I got the reference...don't have to quote the movie to me (which is probably innapropriate for a family website) but I was just trying to help with a concept that might be a little lost around here...actual help
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:39 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,193 Posts
Quote:
Oh ya, I got the reference...don't have to quote the movie to me (which is probably innapropriate for a family website) but I was just trying to help with a concept that might be a little lost around here...actual help
ive just never seen a spinner that did NOT wobble...gas OR electric...didnt know it was actually possible to get all the wobble out
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:42 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
ive just never seen a spinner that did NOT wobble...gas OR electric...didnt know it was actually possible to get all the wobble out
Spinner should not wobble if properly balanced and mounted, just as important to balance your spinner as it is to balance your prop for a long and happy power system...gas OR electric
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:03 PM
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jan 2008
927 Posts
Quote:
annnddd we're off... He specifically said "warning explicit lyrics"- if you don't like it- don't watch it, if you are worried about your kids watching it- try parenting- works like a charm.. Some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining about something .
kwiktsi is offline Find More Posts by kwiktsi
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:12 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
annnddd we're off... He specifically said "warning explicit lyrics"- if you don't like it- don't watch it, if you are worried about your kids watching it- try parenting- works like a charm.. Some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining about something .
Well the good news is that I own that movie, love that movie, quote that movie often. Where appropriate tho. I also have no kids, so thanks but no thanks for your "parenting" advice. I would think that warning or not the language in that clip wouldn't be allowed to be typed out so why should it be allowed to be like that???? And how is what I said complaining
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2010
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
fine then...have your stupid rope

did it explain anything?
Yep, Thanks .
E-reevo is offline Find More Posts by E-reevo
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:44 PM
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jan 2008
927 Posts
Quote:
Well the good news is that I own that movie, love that movie, quote that movie often. Where appropriate tho. I also have no kids, so thanks but no thanks for your "parenting" advice. I would think that warning or not the language in that clip wouldn't be allowed to be typed out so why should it be allowed to be like that???? And how is what I said complaining
Well, I just took it as you griping about the video being shown on a "family forum" and Aron not helping. If I mistook it, I apologize. FYI- Aron helps plenty around here . As for the parenting comment, it was not directed at you specifically, just stating that if people on a "family forum" are worried about their kids seeing something inappropriate, try parenting instead of sitting back letting the internet raise your child then complaining that you don't like the result. An all too common occurrence these days .

As for the spinners- I have seen pretty much every type spin true and I seen pretty much every type wobble, regardless of fit on the shaft. I have seen some wobble just because the knurling on the back plate does not jive well with the knurling on the face of the prop adapter and not let it sit flush. Heck, I have seen some prop adapters (cheap collet style) not let the collar sit straight when tightened down that are barely noticeable with just a prop on it but once you add a spinner, it is extremely noticeable. Spinners are just a matter of personal preference IMHO. I run them for looks on a majority of my planes and leave them off others when weight and or cooling is a concern.
kwiktsi is offline Find More Posts by kwiktsi
Last edited by kwiktsi; Dec 29, 2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: oops- Aron, not losi.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:29 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
To space a spinner that you don't have a spacer for (proper spacers are sweet, but this method will work)... get some tape (my favorite is Scotch green automotive masking tape), and tear off about 10 inches and then tear it in half length ways. wrap around the prop shaft with the clean factory cut edge snug against the hub in a tight fashion. wrap so there's more than enough as a spacer. Then remove small pieces at a time checking to see if the spinner back plate is able to slide on in a snug fashion. When you can push the spinner plate to the hub, get a sharp knife and cut the tape close as you can to the spinner plate. The spacer is now made, mount prop and spinner as usual. When you tighten the prop nut, the force of the prop onto the back plate onto the hub of the motor will keep it all secure... it's just that the tape allows you to get something just about perfectly centered. If the spinner doesn't turn true, than it's probably a bad spinner or something is maybe bent...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:07 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
That was actually my plan exactly. except i usually use electrical tape. i'm not sure i can get even one layer without drilling out the back plate with how close the hole already is. might have to drill it out a small step if i cant get it .the weird thing is though that it seems more like the back plate is warped with the wobble i'm seeing. it can only be seen by looking down onto the top of the plane. looking head on it seems perfect. i'm going to try to get a snug fit before i worry about it too much. i also have another great planes spinner in black waiting for my 58 edge to get here. i will try that as well. this plane has never had a blade strike or anything to hit the motor so i'm sure its still true. i couldnt see or feel any wobble running it without a prop or spinner.
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:16 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
That was actually my plan exactly. except i usually use electrical tape. i'm not sure i can get even one layer without drilling out the back plate with how close the hole already is. might have to drill it out a small step if i cant get it .the weird thing is though that it seems more like the back plate is warped with the wobble i'm seeing. it can only be seen by looking down onto the top of the plane. looking head on it seems perfect. i'm going to try to get a snug fit before i worry about it too much. i also have another great planes spinner in black waiting for my 58 edge to get here. i will try that as well. this plane has never had a blade strike or anything to hit the motor so i'm sure its still true. i couldnt see or feel any wobble running it without a prop or spinner.
Look at the gap between the back plate and the cowling and see if it is the same all the way around as you slowly spin the prop or spinner by hand. If it is changing, you possibly have a bent or warped back plate. Recently, I have had four Extreme Flight spinners (2.5" and 2.75") that had warped back plates. I have a friend who has a lathe and I am going to go over there and put a dial indicator on them and then straighten them.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:25 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
Look at the gap between the back plate and the cowling and see if it is the same all the way around as you slowly spin the prop or spinner by hand. If it is changing, you possibly have a bent or warped back plate. Recently, I have had four Extreme Flight spinners (2.5" and 2.75") that had warped back plates. I have a friend who has a lathe and I am going to go over there and put a dial indicator on them and then straighten them.

SteveT
Because of the issues with EF spinners, we have been using the Great Planes spinners. With the GP spinners, you have to cut or rout out the small prop area. GP provides a guide on the inside of the spinner for this.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael