HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:34 AM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Would I set expo or just try to make the curve a little looser in the higher range. I have an A9 which should handle it, just not quite sure what I should be doing. If I make it looser (ie for throttle stick movement it's less than 1:1, logarithimc curve) at some point it has to come back around and go above 1:1 (exponential curve) to get back to 100% throttle. Might be a good idea anyway on 5s if it's too twitchy in mid throttle range because of the power.
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap
Last edited by chriscap; Dec 14, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:01 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
A9

perfect....plenty of adjustments on the throttle curve feature.

you want to move the actual points 1 thru 7....or whatever it goes up to, can't remember. I think I usually remove the top two and only run 1-6 and put 6 at 100%

You want to bump them all up. I can send you a rough set of numbers via PM if that helps.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:19 AM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Yeah, that would really help. Thanks. I can fine adjust from there.
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:06 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
first damage to the 57 today! I was having a pretty good flight. kinda keeping it high because i was flying over a chopped down corn field at the end of my subdivision with an unfinished culdesac. did a few 1/2 throttle KE spins but other than that nothing too rough on the airframe. a lot of semi low harriers, KE figure 8's, and some hovering. about 5min into my flight i did a 1/3 throttle KE spin into an elevator and then hover on the deck. everything was fine until i punched full throttle out of the hover. it rocketed out as usual but after 5 feet of climb there was a very distinct change in the motor pitch and the plane started climbing at an angle. i instantly leveled out and went into a harrier and brought her in for a harrier landing. still had power but was scared sh""less. turns out i actually pulled apart the motor box! it cracked in several places now i have almost 3x the spinner gap, my motor is off center, and it actually broke my spinner. not happy that the first damage wasn't my fault really. shouldn't take more than pushing the motorbox all back together and CA it. glad its mostly in one piece but not happy to lose my daily flyer. dont trust myself flying the 71 somewhere i have no option but harrier landings. Still super happy with the power of the motrolfly 3620-480 on 6s 2200mah with 15x7. obviously too much power and 8-9 minute decent 3D flights! this combo is definitely going on my 58 edge when it gets here!
lammbn is offline Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:45 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
first damage to the 57 today! I was having a pretty good flight. kinda keeping it high because i was flying over a chopped down corn field at the end of my subdivision with an unfinished culdesac. did a few 1/2 throttle KE spins but other than that nothing too rough on the airframe. a lot of semi low harriers, KE figure 8's, and some hovering. about 5min into my flight i did a 1/3 throttle KE spin into an elevator and then hover on the deck. everything was fine until i punched full throttle out of the hover. it rocketed out as usual but after 5 feet of climb there was a very distinct change in the motor pitch and the plane started climbing at an angle. i instantly leveled out and went into a harrier and brought her in for a harrier landing. still had power but was scared sh""less. turns out i actually pulled apart the motor box! it cracked in several places now i have almost 3x the spinner gap, my motor is off center, and it actually broke my spinner. not happy that the first damage wasn't my fault really. shouldn't take more than pushing the motorbox all back together and CA it. glad its mostly in one piece but not happy to lose my daily flyer. dont trust myself flying the 71 somewhere i have no option but harrier landings. Still super happy with the power of the motrolfly 3620-480 on 6s 2200mah with 15x7. obviously too much power and 8-9 minute decent 3D flights! this combo is definitely going on my 58 edge when it gets here!
I don't remember if it says it in the 57" Extra manual, but most of them suggest that you add some CA to all of the motor box joints. I don't know if you did this or not, as you do not mention it. If nothing broke...push it back together, and re-glue. If it did, get yourself some Starbucks or McDonald's coffee stirrers, and reenforce it, you will be good as new... Also, the Great Planes aluminum back red plastic spinner is a really nice one for this plane, and runs more true than the plastic back ones.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:10 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
yeah, i added plenty of CA. always spend a good 30 min going over all exposed joints. it actually split the wood in parts. doesn't seem like it will be too hard to get them to line back up though. do you mean the plastic stirring straws? just checking because i've never heard that one before.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:42 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,428 Posts
No, the wood ones.

Wood paint stir sticks make great repairs on bigger planes. Good for the landing gear box and other areas that require more strength. I grab a couple for free every time I'm at Home Depot. Just put the writing side down and nobody will know.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:48 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
I have heard that some motorbox reinforcements would be good before I build mine, but in like 8 3dhs planes I have never had a problem? You guys think it needs done or just some local wives tale?
Post 8940. a page or so back if you do 100 or 50 per page (I do the max)...

anyway, I think we may be overpowering these planes a bit.. I know I am going to put a 4315-714 im mine on 4S. Been flying my 59 with that setup, but I am at 6,000' here in Denver so we need to overpower a bit. Not sure other than the CA to the joints what to do about it.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
overpower? psh, no such thing!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:17 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
So what if I got 1600watts in a 4 pound plane
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:40 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
So what if I got 1600watts in a 4 pound plane
I think I could live with that... Hover at 1/4 throttle...nice!
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
I'm running about 1300 watts! Might be why i pulled apart the motorbox on a hover pull out. Hover was about 1/3 before the throttle curve to bring it up to 1/2. Need more resolution in the mid range not the top end anyways. Harriers are a little tricky when it climbs at the first or second notch above no throttle.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:13 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
Sounds like you need to put in a throttle curve. I had 1600watts in the SC and 59 slick and didnt have motor box issues. I ended up backing them down into the 1200 to 1300watt range. 1600watts is a bit much
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:05 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,799 Posts
1100-1200 Watts on this plane is plenty of Slamming around power, more than necessary actually but it's still fun. You just can't be doing hard power on Tumbles, KE Spins, Walls or something's gotta give somewhere. I've cracked motorboxes before and that was my warning sign to back off a bit on the power into Tumbles. Besides, the best Tumbles are power off, snapped off quick when you hit the sticks for them. I doubt if the KE Spin did the cracking. Tumbles, Walls, Tumbles with both sticks buried to the inside upper corners can do it though, and Blenders if you don't get off the gas when you enter it. Also if you had a prop strike on blacktop sometimes can strain things.

It's a good idea to pull the cowl every couple weeks during flying season and check for cracks up front. I also grab the spinner before flying and see how much up/down, side to side play there is on the motor. Have found split Firewalls and cracked side braces that way. I also do it after I land to feel if anything changed, if I was on a Tumbling rant.

Looking at the pics, I'd say you got off lucky. With the torque in this size motor, if that firewall tore loose that motor would wind up the wires real quick and dead short. Fries the ESC and Motor. Don't ask me how I know...
heritageflyer is online now Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:53 PM
United States, CA, Poway
Joined Jan 2006
541 Posts
what are some cheap and powerful and light setups for this plane these days?
I think mine is a bit too heavy with 5s4000mah packs and a hacker motor.
Thanks.
jpinn is offline Find More Posts by jpinn