HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:10 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
Would be nice if the wing tip had some blind nuts installed for the SFG, like the EF planes.

Vien
they don't? I just got mine and haven't built it yet.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:14 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
they don't? I just got mine and haven't built it yet.
No, they don't. EF planes do.

Maybe something that could be improved.

Vien
vienquach is online now Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:18 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
so you just screw into the wood in the wingtip?
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:21 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
yes, and 'in theory' drip thin ca into hole to harden the wood... i remember someone did blindnutting for sfg but that involved recovering so no no for me... p.s. that motrofly... does it bolt right on? or do i need spacers? and was spacers supposed to come with kit? cause with 1.5 buck huck there is spacers, but here there was no spacers... just asking.... so far just cut holes, hinged rudder, finished tail section, assembled landing gear... now all i have to do is wait for servos and next month for motor and esc....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:23 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,185 Posts
there's holes in the balsa tip that guide the screw into the backed plywood. you screw it in, remove it, add some thin CA, let it cure, and there you have a pretty tough and secure mount without requiring more hardware than needed and screws that you don't need to loctite or anything else in fear of them backing out during flight. the 70" planes and up have blind nuts and bolts, not necessary for this size airframe.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:27 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,997 Posts
Quote:
so you just screw into the wood in the wingtip?
Yeah, I guess. A friend installed blind nuts but required re-covering.

Thin CA into wood will work, but blind nuts will help last longer, after many cycles of installing and removing.

Vien
vienquach is online now Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
well if there is plywood in there I would think it would work fine then... thanks!
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:47 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,097 Posts
only bad thing about the blind nuts on the inside of wind is when they come off and rattle around inside the wing.....seen it several times
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:40 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
yes, and 'in theory' drip thin ca into hole to harden the wood... i remember someone did blindnutting for sfg but that involved recovering so no no for me... p.s. that motrofly... does it bolt right on? or do i need spacers? and was spacers supposed to come with kit? cause with 1.5 buck huck there is spacers, but here there was no spacers... just asking.... so far just cut holes, hinged rudder, finished tail section, assembled landing gear... now all i have to do is wait for servos and next month for motor and esc....
Spacers didn't come with mine. The a40 requires 10-12mm of spacing (7/16" roughly). I don't know about spacing on a motorfly.
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap
Old Dec 07, 2011, 06:53 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
there's holes in the balsa tip that guide the screw into the backed plywood. you screw it in, remove it, add some thin CA, let it cure, and there you have a pretty tough and secure mount without requiring more hardware than needed and screws that you don't need to loctite or anything else in fear of them backing out during flight. the 70" planes and up have blind nuts and bolts, not necessary for this size airframe.
Weird, I know, but I have to remove my SFG's every time I pack my SC into my car. A couple of times a week...the screws probably hold fine over time, but I prefer thumb screws, so I made a cap for each wingtip, and put a 6/32" blind nuts in each wing. Very easy to remove or put on with no tools. Wasn't that hard, either.

Got the idea from Stickybeatz. His turned out awesome.
Luv3d is offline Find More Posts by Luv3d
Last edited by Luv3d; Dec 07, 2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Thpeling errrr
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post
Weird, I know, but I have to remove my SFG's every time I pack my SC into my car. A couple of times a week...the screws probably hold fine over time, but I prefer thumb screws, so I made a cap for each wingtip, and put a 6/32" blind nuts in each wing. Very easy to remove or put on with no tools. Wasn't that hard, either.

Got the idea from Stickybeatz. His turned out awesome.
Pics?
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:54 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Pics?
I'll post them tonight- I think they turned out great. However, there was covering involved....
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:45 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
thanks, I can file them in my memory and after my build if I have issues with the standard I will know what to do...
Old Dec 08, 2011, 05:24 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post
I'll post them tonight- I think they turned out great. However, there was covering involved....
Here are a couple of pics to help see what I did and how it came out. I used 1/8" balsa for the end cap, then I cut out the original section of the wingtip which held the plywood ring. I bored out the ring to fit a 6/32" blind nut, then pressed it into place and used thick CA to hold it on. I glued that to the back of the wing end cap after carefully placing the hold in the wing caps.

Then I used med CA to glue the entire wing cap to the existing wingtip. I use 6/32"x3/4" nylon thumb screws to hold the SFG's in place- works like a champ!
Old Dec 08, 2011, 05:26 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
thanks!