HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:26 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
the people that run 6S only run a 2200 setup?
the one 6S I've flown was 6S 2200... but it's certainly an option. but the point is you don't get more flight time just by changing the cell count/voltage... it's still about capacity of the packs vs watts being drawn. this plane could happily fly 4S 5000 pack, if you want flight time you simply increase capacity.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:28 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
aronph's Avatar
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,194 Posts
so back to what he was saying....why the situation?
aronph is online now Find More Posts by aronph
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:35 PM
Registered User
vienquach's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
5s-3000 with Hacker A40-12s, 6s-2500 with Motrolfly 3620-480 have similar flight time as the 4s-3800 setup. Same weight, less load on the ESC, a bit more power and cooler.

The difference between them is easier to see in the summer.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:40 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
still some unknowns... how much was being put back into the pack on the next charge?... how hot is the motor getting with this 50% WOT performance?... have larger props been tested?...

...at the end of the day, 6 minutes isn't a bad flight time, 50% of WOT isn't a small amount of WOT really.


But back to the "watching the other guys I think I have an issue" problem... at the Octoberfest, I didn't notice how many 57's were flying, but I had Bens out a whole bunch, and while brutal amounts of power (Reaper G60) it was landing under the 6 minute mark, and the packs getting quite drained. So if it is a measure against the plane I was flying the flight time is on par, and I was flying the same cell count and capacity.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:43 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
I had the Scorpion SII-3026-710 in my 57 for a while, and though plenty of power on the prop I was using, I was bruning it up... scalding hot when landing.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:46 PM
Registered User
vienquach's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
If anyone flying on 6s, the 2500mah pack might be a better choice than the 2200. Although I only put back 1700mah or so after a 7 min flight, I could feel ~20% power drop at the end of flight with the 6s-2200 pack.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:53 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
aronph's Avatar
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,194 Posts
i like the power of my A40-10S on 4S 4000 40C zippys and Ice 100 with a 15x6 zoar......when it actually works...
aronph is online now Find More Posts by aronph
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:55 PM
Registered User
vienquach's Avatar
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
i like the power of my A40-10S on 4S 4000 40C zippys and Ice 100 with a 15x6 zoar......when it actually works...
I had the same 4s setup with Xoar 15x8 in the summer. Worked great, but the motor was hot and the ICE 75 was warm.

Now doing 5s-3300, with A40-12s in the Fall weather, and Motrolfly 3620 in the Summer. Nothing else to worry about. Just enjoy flying.

I can also use the same packs for EF 60" EXP planes, up to 1400w or so.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:07 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
aronph's Avatar
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
I had the same 4s setup with Xoar 15x8 in the summer. Worked great, but the motor was hot and the ICE 75 was warm.

Now doing 5s-3300, with A40-12s in the Fall weather, and Motrolfly 3620 in the Summer. Nothing else to worry about. Just enjoy flying.

I can also use the same packs for EF 60" EXP planes, up to 1400w or so.

Vien
gotta send back the ice.....may be a while before the five seven is crashable again
aronph is online now Find More Posts by aronph
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:46 PM
Registered User
smithder's Avatar
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
I finishing my 57 up. Is the Xoar PJA series what im after?
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:54 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
heritageflyer's Avatar
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
PJN

http://www.xoarintl.com/props/model-airplane/PJN.html


http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...APTU&search=Go
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:00 PM
Registered User
smithder's Avatar
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
Thanks. I thought this looked a little beefy.
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:37 PM
Got the Slickness
gabrielisrael's Avatar
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
I recently "dumb thumbed" my 57" Extra low and damaged the airframe on the RHS (looking down front of plane) just behind the canopy, with some minor cracks around the motor box area. I have repaired (ie CA'd) her back together, but I have a 1 3/4" tear in the covering right behind the lower RHS of the canopy running almost straight back on the fuse in the white color.

Question for you more experienced flyers: How would you recommend I repair this tear? Tape it, or use a small piece of adhesive covering? If tape it, how? Lastly, when to I use the heat gun to take out the wrinkles, before or after the tear repair?

Thanks guys!
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:28 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
heritageflyer's Avatar
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
I recently "dumb thumbed" my 57" Extra low and damaged the airframe on the RHS (looking down front of plane) just behind the canopy, with some minor cracks around the motor box area. I have repaired (ie CA'd) her back together, but I have a 1 3/4" tear in the covering right behind the lower RHS of the canopy running almost straight back on the fuse in the white color.

Question for you more experienced flyers: How would you recommend I repair this tear? Tape it, or use a small piece of adhesive covering? If tape it, how? Lastly, when to I use the heat gun to take out the wrinkles, before or after the tear repair?

Thanks guys!
I use Clear Scotch Tape, BUT, can't apply heat on it, will curl up and pull.

If you can obtain it, there is Ultratrim (Ultracote) Trim that is Adhesive Backed and Shrinkable on low heat. That works better. Cut a small patch strip slightly bigger then tear, stick on, smooth out and then apply med heat from a Heat Gun.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:52 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jan 2008
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
I recently "dumb thumbed" my 57" Extra low and damaged the airframe on the RHS (looking down front of plane) just behind the canopy, with some minor cracks around the motor box area. I have repaired (ie CA'd) her back together, but I have a 1 3/4" tear in the covering right behind the lower RHS of the canopy running almost straight back on the fuse in the white color.

Question for you more experienced flyers: How would you recommend I repair this tear? Tape it, or use a small piece of adhesive covering? If tape it, how? Lastly, when to I use the heat gun to take out the wrinkles, before or after the tear repair?

Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
I use Clear Scotch Tape, BUT, can't apply heat on it, will curl up and pull.

If you can obtain it, there is Ultratrim (Ultracote) Trim that is Adhesive Backed and Shrinkable on low heat. That works better. Cut a small patch strip slightly bigger then tear, stick on, smooth out and then apply med heat from a Heat Gun.
For me, it all depends on how old and beat up looking the plane is getting. New and pretty- it gets the section of covering removed and redone, middle aged and starting to show wear and it gets patches of similar color covering and/or stickers applied over the flaws, old and beat up and it gets whatever tape is closest slapped on the hole and goes back in the air . My black and yellow 47" SHP was sporting red white and blue "Priority Mail" tape on the wing and aileron for a while .
kwiktsi is offline Find More Posts by kwiktsi
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3D Hobby Shop 47" Edge 540 #BUILD VIDEOS ADDED# ipsmotors 3D Flying 3960 Nov 23, 2013 08:39 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop 57" Sukhoi sukhoi26mx Electric Plane Talk 7 Sep 17, 2008 09:33 AM
Sold NIB 3D Hobby Shop SHP Extra 300 *Blue* Version 2 thomer Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 May 04, 2008 02:31 PM
Build Log 3D Hobby Shop 55" Katana LIVE Build Log Jeremy Sebens 3D Flying 54 Oct 12, 2007 04:39 PM