HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:41 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
if you are interested in shipping everything but the fuse half send me a pm. I would be interested.

-Brady
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:51 AM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,167 Posts
I'm thinking of selling my '57. Yellow/blue, set up for 4s with a MotroFly 3625/800, ICE 100 Light. Has Hyperion servos in it currently, I can swap them for a set of HS-225, or sell the airframe only. Needs to be LPU only. Any interest, PM me.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:02 PM
United States, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Sep 2010
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg View Post
I'm thinking of selling my '57. Yellow/blue, set up for 4s with a MotroFly 3625/800, ICE 100 Light. Has Hyperion servos in it currently, I can swap them for a set of HS-225, or sell the airframe only. Needs to be LPU only. Any interest, PM me.
If you decide to ship, let me know.
collinss is offline Find More Posts by collinss
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:12 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
I have a question on the pull-pull rod connectors. I swear I screwed them all the way in. I first screwed them in by hand as far as they could go. I then use some pliers and screwed until the little bolt stopped going in (3-4 more turns). However, I'm looking at the build video and some of the photos and it looks others are quite a bit more screwed in. Should I debond and try again?
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:17 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,179 Posts
if you have half the length of the connector worth of thread in it, it should be good. It sounds like you got enough of the thread in there....can you pull it apart with your hands?...i bet not
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:28 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinss View Post
If you decide to ship, let me know.
Hm. You are close to DC, right? I'm not going to ship it, but I do visit DC once in a while..
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:41 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
if you have half the length of the connector worth of thread in it, it should be good. It sounds like you got enough of the thread in there....can you pull it apart with your hands?...i bet not
I did my darndest to pull it apart. Half? I don't think it's quite that much, but it's tough to know now.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:48 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,650 Posts
If you can't pull it apart with your fingers your servo certainly won't be able to pull it apart.
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:50 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
I was worried about the force in the air and wind pushing against a flexed surface. I've just read some stories about those things coming loose on this thread.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:59 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,691 Posts
it's certainly not ideal, but I've lost pull pull cables from various failures and setup mistakes in the air several times. they were all my fault, but my point is that under most conditions losing one side of a pull pull cable in the air is not a complete disaster. very easy to land the plane as the other side of the cable usually keeps the rudder somewhat centered. '
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:13 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
This would fall under the category of my fault though wouldn't it. Just curious if anyone else's were the same length. I pretty much followed the same procedure for all the rods (aileron, elevator) and got about the same amount threaded on each. Hand threaded 1-2 and then torqued down 3-4 more. On the elevator if I had gone any further the CF rod wouldn't have fit.

Went back and looked at threads compared to one that's not used, definitely not half used. More like 1/3. I guess I'm overthinking it (as I tend to do). I'm just confused how people were able to get it to thread deeper. I kept turning and it kept not going deeper. I marked the threads just to be sure.
Last edited by chriscap; Oct 18, 2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:34 PM
Deer Park, Tx (East side of Houston)
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
3DHS 57" 330SC setup question

I'm very new and a slow learner when it comes to all things 3D. While I've been flying my 57" 3DHS 330SC now for about a year, after attending the 3DHS Octoberfest last weekend in Austin...well I have some question.

I'm always on a budget but when I got my plane I was in between jobs and the purchase was to keep my mind from being idle and going crazy. So the budget concern was even greater.

When it came to the motor I purchased a Scorion 3032-12. Scorpion said it was their cross for 3DHS receommended Hacker motor. The specs on the motor sounded pretty good to me and it save me approx $25 to $30 on this purchase.

Scorion 3032-12 Motor Specifications are as follows:
Stator Diameter 30.0 mm (1.181 in)
Stator Thickness 32.0 mm (1.260 in)
No. of Stator Arms 12
Magnet Poles 14
Motor Wind 12 Turn Delta
Motor Wire 20-Strand 0.21mm
Motor Kv 687 RPM / Volt
No-Load Current (Io) 2.06 Amps
Motor Resistance (Rm) 0.039 Ohms
Max Continuous Current 70 Amps
Max Continuous Power 1200 Watts
Weight 223.6 Grams (7.89 oz)
Outside Diameter 37.50 mm (1.476 in)
Shaft Diameter 4.97 mm (0.197 in)
Body Length 49.9 mm (1.964 in)
Overall Shaft Length 88.5 mm (3.484 in)

I'm using an APC 15x7 prop

I'm using a Castle Creations ICE 75 speed controller (not the "Lite" version).

I'm using Turnegy Nano Tech 4S 4000mA packs.

I get about 6 minute flight times of what feels like rather conservative flying. I'd say 50% of the flight is at 50% throttle or less and feels slow in the air. The other 50% of the flight is at or near full throttle trying to learn knife edge spins and other more 3D type manuvers.

Anyway I've been happy but then I went to Octoberfest last weekend in Austin and I saw other electric 57" 330SC's in flight. They seemed to fly way longer than my 6 minute flights. Their airspeed seem to be way faster than mine throughout most of their flights.

At first I thought it was an optical conclusion but the more I watch the more I beleived my eyes. It is as if something with my setup is whimpy.

I may never be a big 3D flying type guy but I like trying. I aslo like making nice pretty lines in the sky, old school airshow type flying. I saw these guys doing it in Austin last weekend with more speed, zest, zeal, and with longer flight times.

Anyone have any ideas? What has this beginner yet to learn?
DanWard is offline Find More Posts by DanWard
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:45 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWard View Post
I'm very new and a slow learner when it comes to all things 3D. While I've been flying my 57" 3DHS 330SC now for about a year, after attending the 3DHS Octoberfest last weekend in Austin...well I have some question.

I'm always on a budget but when I got my plane I was in between jobs and the purchase was to keep my mind from being idle and going crazy. So the budget concern was even greater.

When it came to the motor I purchased a Scorion 3032-12. Scorpion said it was their cross for 3DHS receommended Hacker motor. The specs on the motor sounded pretty good to me and it save me approx $25 to $30 on this purchase.

Scorion 3032-12 Motor Specifications are as follows:
Stator Diameter 30.0 mm (1.181 in)
Stator Thickness 32.0 mm (1.260 in)
No. of Stator Arms 12
Magnet Poles 14
Motor Wind 12 Turn Delta
Motor Wire 20-Strand 0.21mm
Motor Kv 687 RPM / Volt
No-Load Current (Io) 2.06 Amps
Motor Resistance (Rm) 0.039 Ohms
Max Continuous Current 70 Amps
Max Continuous Power 1200 Watts
Weight 223.6 Grams (7.89 oz)
Outside Diameter 37.50 mm (1.476 in)
Shaft Diameter 4.97 mm (0.197 in)
Body Length 49.9 mm (1.964 in)
Overall Shaft Length 88.5 mm (3.484 in)

I'm using an APC 15x7 prop

I'm using a Castle Creations ICE 75 speed controller (not the "Lite" version).

I'm using Turnegy Nano Tech 4S 4000mA packs.

I get about 6 minute flight times of what feels like rather conservative flying. I'd say 50% of the flight is at 50% throttle or less and feels slow in the air. The other 50% of the flight is at or near full throttle trying to learn knife edge spins and other more 3D type manuvers.

Anyway I've been happy but then I went to Octoberfest last weekend in Austin and I saw other electric 57" 330SC's in flight. They seemed to fly way longer than my 6 minute flights. Their airspeed seem to be way faster than mine throughout most of their flights.

At first I thought it was an optical conclusion but the more I watch the more I beleived my eyes. It is as if something with my setup is whimpy.

I may never be a big 3D flying type guy but I like trying. I aslo like making nice pretty lines in the sky, old school airshow type flying. I saw these guys doing it in Austin last weekend with more speed, zest, zeal, and with longer flight times.

Anyone have any ideas? What has this beginner yet to learn?
they may have been running 6S setups which has less current draw=more flight time *generally* speaking.....of the 3 setups most people use on this plane, the 4S setup is the least efficient, and the Kv of your motor is in between a 4S wind and a 5S wind....
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
they may have been running 6S setups which has less current draw=more flight time *generally* speaking.....of the 3 setups most people use on this plane, the 4S setup is the least efficient, and the Kv of your motor is in between a 4S wind and a 5S wind....

except that most people increasing the cell count reduce the capacity of each cell so that they arrive at the same all up weight. when doing it this way there's no change in flight times or power or whatever. the 4S setups are completely awesome, and I've flown some good 5S and 6S setups.

...and the typical 4S setup (4S 4000mah) probably has more flight time than the typical 6S setup (6S 2200) because there's more electrons on board (4 x 4000 being higher than 6 x 2200).

The 57 that I was pounding on all weekend at Octoberfest has the timer set for 6 minutes and I was being brutal to it with respect to power usage. 4S 3750mah packs.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:12 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,179 Posts
the people that run 6S only run a 2200 setup?