HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:34 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscap View Post
Do the hs225's buzz a bit when at full deflection. I got my elevator all setup tonight and I was surprised to hear them buzz a bit. The surfaces all move freely with no binding that I can tell. I guess my experience has been that all servos buzz to some degree. The hs-45's were really bad, 65's not so bad. I was just expecting these metal gear servos to be totally silent. Don't know why I expected that.
Is your elevator going full to the bevel, if so, back off just a few degrees, so that it is not. This usually the reason for buzzing at full deflection....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:08 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
Is your elevator going full to the bevel, if so, back off just a few degrees, so that it is not. This usually the reason for buzzing at full deflection....

SteveT
+1 also with the 225s thats a good way to ruin that servo. Just make sure you are not getting any binding. Though also servos have noise to some degree
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:06 PM
Crashing Gooder and Gooder!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne View Post
I maidened my 57" Extra yesterday. Rob at ADC took great care of me with all the hot rod parts and Yamadan did a smokin' job on the build!!! All I had to do is show up and fly. Life is good! Ground check is good, wattmeter check just over 1100W, let's go! Took off, NO TRIM needed, thanks DAN. A couple minutes of getting a feel for it and RCDrum says okay enough circles. Blender time! Throw in a couple tumbles, check the knife edge, harrier and inverted flight. Only had one borrowed battery so the FUN was short lived. My biggest plane yet and bigger DOES fly better!!! Really looking foreward to cutting my teeth on this one and then moving up. A couple weeks and I'll be ready to pull out the 65" Viper. My hat's off to Ben and the crew for consistantly coming up with planes that are WINNERS right out of the box! I may have to get a bigger car so I can make the jump to 70" size!
You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it!
YamaDan is offline Find More Posts by YamaDan
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:06 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
What Castle ESC are you using?

Did you see I am having problems with my Castle Lite 75amp in my 59" Slick running the recommended components? It cut out on me about 5 seconds after pulling out of a hover. Fortunately I was able to dead stick it in, but still having problems with it.

Please keep me informed how things go.... thanks
i am using an Ice 75. not the lite version. it flew fine at the field with the 15x7. still didn't feel like it had as much punch as i would like. i'm going to do a little trouble shooting on my esc to see if it was the lvc or the current limiting causing it to cut out. if it was the current then i'm going to turn logging back on and see what the esc is reporting. if its bad i will put my Ice 100 in to hold me over while the 75 is in for repairs. I will update with the results of the testing and possible watt numbers with the ice 100 to see if they are any different with my prop selection.
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:44 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne View Post
I maidened my 57" Extra yesterday. Rob at ADC took great care of me with all the hot rod parts and Yamadan did a smokin' job on the build!!! All I had to do is show up and fly. Life is good! Ground check is good, wattmeter check just over 1100W, let's go! Took off, NO TRIM needed, thanks DAN. A couple minutes of getting a feel for it and RCDrum says okay enough circles. Blender time! Throw in a couple tumbles, check the knife edge, harrier and inverted flight. Only had one borrowed battery so the FUN was short lived. My biggest plane yet and bigger DOES fly better!!! Really looking foreward to cutting my teeth on this one and then moving up. A couple weeks and I'll be ready to pull out the 65" Viper. My hat's off to Ben and the crew for consistantly coming up with planes that are WINNERS right out of the box! I may have to get a bigger car so I can make the jump to 70" size!
told you
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:19 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Does it matter which side of the control horn the machine screw/ball link is on vs the nut. I feel like these minor things don't really matter. For example, on the ailerons, I've seen most pictures with the ball link on the inside and the nut on the outside (facing the wing tip). But when I lay mine out, seems to be a straighter line on the opposite. Does these things matter or contribute to binding. I'll probably just follow what I see, but is it worth worrying about something this small?
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:20 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,777 Posts
I don't think so. Do what makes your setup better.
Luv3d is offline Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:10 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Does it matter which side of the control horn the machine screw/ball link is on vs the nut. I feel like these minor things don't really matter. For example, on the ailerons, I've seen most pictures with the ball link on the inside and the nut on the outside (facing the wing tip). But when I lay mine out, seems to be a straighter line on the opposite. Does these things matter or contribute to binding. I'll probably just follow what I see, but is it worth worrying about something this small?
whatever gives the most direct, straight shot to the control horn. Doesn't really matter. You want to avoid angles in the servo horn to control horn connection.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:45 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,671 Posts
Setup suggestion

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be ordering one of these. I'm relative new to RC, I started with a RTF 3 channel Cub, then a UM t-28, moved up to a DX6i and a PZ P-47 42" and now I have a e-flite UMX sbach342. I can fly the Sbach well and can hover it, KE, high alpha, couple of harrier rolls(still working on them). The guys at my local club think that I'm ready for a good balsa plane and said 3dhs is the way to go. Enough about me the question is I've never setup a plane before as all the other planes I have were BNF or RTF. I was thinking about getting a Scorpion SII-3026 710or890 and probably a 90amp ESC powered by a 4cell lipo. 4x HS-5245MG and a AR7010 or AR6210.

Will this setup work? Do I need a separate BEC? is there a better suited motor ESC combo? Would I be better off going with the 3dhs hacker A40-10S and X70A ESC? would that need a separate BEC?

I'm sorry for what is probably a simple question I've searched and been reading for weeks now but theory and actually building are different things usually.
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:58 AM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
The Hacker setup is great. You can probably save some money with a combo from 3dhs, too. Get it all in one spot and save on shipping.

And you can start collecting points towards other 3dhs stuff, too. Trust me, there will be more.

Running your servos at 6 volts really increases the performance. If your chosen ESC doesn't have an adjustable voltage BEC, you can run an external BEC like the Castle 10 amp. The stock BEC in the X-70 will work fine though if you don't want to mess with an external.

HS-5245 will work great on all surfaces.
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Last edited by 6L6Amp; Oct 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:53 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,671 Posts
thanks for the quick response. I think for easy of setup i'll use the 3dhs combo.
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:57 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6Amp View Post
The Hacker setup is great. You can probably save some money with a combo from 3dhs, too. Get it all in one spot and save on shipping.

And you can start collecting points towards other 3dhs stuff, too. Trust me, there will be more.

Running your servos at 6 volts really increases the performance. If your chosen ESC doesn't have an adjustable voltage BEC, you can run an external BEC like the Castle 10 amp. The stock BEC in the X-70 will work fine though if you don't want to mess with an external.

HS-5245 will work great on all surfaces.
Running 6v to the Rx and servos won't overload them or shorten their life?
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:38 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
The resurrected 57 is enjoying her second chance at life out in the Arizona sun. Photos courtesy of Buzzed

p.s. leaning totally helps you avoid mid airs
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:45 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Running 6v to the Rx and servos won't overload them or shorten their life?
No, they can take it. Running 225MG's on 6v.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:46 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
The resurrected 57 is enjoying her second chance at life out in the Arizona sun. Photos courtesy of Buzzed

p.s. leaning totally helps you avoid mid airs
Feels good doesn't it!
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer