HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:06 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
Ok, quick question. Mounting my motor and the blind nuts will not seat fully due to the threaded portion bottoming out on my x-mount before the teeth are even 1/3 sunk into the firewall. Anybody have the same problem or a fix?
Yup..... Three suggestions, use bolts, nuts and washers instead of bolts and blind nuts, or put some plywood discs inside the firewall for the blind nuts to pull into. Or of course if you need spacers between the motor and the firewall to adjust for prop clearance then they can be on the front of the firewall.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:30 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,431 Posts
When that happens I either drill the bottom of my standoffs bigger to go over the protruding blind nut, or I simply grind off the excess blind nut with my Dremel (after install) or bench grinder (before install).
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:18 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
X9303 doesn't come with SD card, but JR does have software allowing you to store and modify your program on a computer. I have it, but it is buried right now, and I couldn't find it online, so a call to Horizon might be in order.

SteveT
Awesome info, SteveT, thanks! I'll look into it- it would be ideal to back up all these settings!
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:12 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Ok. Those were similar ideas that i had. Thanks for the insights!
lammbn is offline Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:23 AM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Alright, I'm super confused. I called aero-model/hacker. I was told the a40-12s is a FOUR cell motor and not to run 5 cell on it. They said the a40-14s is the 5 cell setup. This is confusing the heck out of me because ADC and 3dhs say the 12S is recommended for a 5s setup. I was also told I should run a 15x8 prop on a a40-12s. Confusion.
chriscap is offline Find More Posts by chriscap
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:43 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscap View Post
Alright, I'm super confused. I called aero-model/hacker. I was told the a40-12s is a FOUR cell motor and not to run 5 cell on it. They said the a40-14s is the 5 cell setup. This is confusing the heck out of me because ADC and 3dhs say the 12S is recommended for a 5s setup. I was also told I should run a 15x8 prop on a a40-12s. Confusion.
Hacker spec and advise their motors for people who want to stay at full throttle the whole flight... this isn't how we usually set up 3D planes however. We're usually after a higher peak performance, and only ever at full throttle for short periods of time. If you want to fly at full throttle all the time, the advice from Hacker isn't bad advice.

But as the numbers go up, the Kv of the motor goes down... the 10S is a faster motor per volt than the 12S and both faster than the 14S. For the higher thrust we generally seek for 3D, the 10S is our 4S recommendation, and the 12S for 5S.

...the 14S will work fine, it will want 5S, and a larger prop. Or stay on the same prop and you can also fly at full throttle for the whole flight
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:47 AM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
That does make sense and somewhat echoes what they said. They were stressing full throttle performance.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:55 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
I'd prefer A40-12s on 5s, even with 15x8 prop.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:10 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
Hacker spec and advise their motors for people who want to stay at full throttle the whole flight... this isn't how we usually set up 3D planes however. We're usually after a higher peak performance, and only ever at full throttle for short periods of time. If you want to fly at full throttle all the time, the advice from Hacker isn't bad advice.

But as the numbers go up, the Kv of the motor goes down... the 10S is a faster motor per volt than the 12S and both faster than the 14S. For the higher thrust we generally seek for 3D, the 10S is our 4S recommendation, and the 12S for 5S.

...the 14S will work fine, it will want 5S, and a larger prop. Or stay on the same prop and you can also fly at full throttle for the whole flight
So what prop would you recommend for the 14s
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:32 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post

Vien
But then you always want Mo'powa!!! Personally, I think you should change your screen name to that.... :

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:13 PM
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jan 2008
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post

Vien
Haha, I have to be one of the few running the A40-12s on 4S with a 15x6 prop! Not blistering by any means, but enough to get out of trouble and some damn nice flight times .
kwiktsi is offline Find More Posts by kwiktsi
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:16 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscap View Post
So what prop would you recommend for the 14s
I'd try out a 15x8 first to see how you like it... will be a good fall-back prop anyway. 16x8 is probably more likely closer to where you'll end up.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:30 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
Haha, I have to be one of the few running the A40-12s on 4S with a 15x6 prop! Not blistering by any means, but enough to get out of trouble and some damn nice flight times .
and I thought I had the slowest setup....
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:32 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
That's very little power.

Can you do rolling harrier with it ?

Vien
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:38 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
But then you always want Mo'powa!!! Personally, I think you should change your screen name to that.... :

SteveT
More power is nice, but I prefer it to be light also.

Sometimes, too much power is a bit twitchy to handle.

Vien