Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 15, 2009, 01:13 AM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Jeff is your plan to maiden the plane this weekend. Love to see it fly.

Joe
jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2009, 07:53 AM
How can we stop winter?
Frederick, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadamian75
Jeff is your plan to maiden the plane this weekend. Love to see it fly.

Joe
Joe,

Hoping Friday or Sat. morning at LAMA. It just depends on the progress I make with the build and weather. I will keep you posted.

-Jeff
flyinhigh025 is offline Find More Posts by flyinhigh025
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:53 PM
How can we stop winter?
Frederick, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,336 Posts
Servo Arms and Push Rods

Time to install pushrod connectors onto the servo arms, and thread the ball links onto the pushrods.

This is a set-up I have used on -6- different 3DHS planes, and it has proven to be solid, accurate and reliable. Not a single failure.

Note: You will notice the pushrod connector nuts have two different sides. Make sure the side with the small but pronounced countersink is exposed.

Double Note: Notice the elevator pushrod has a carbon fiber tube for reinforcement. Nice touch!!

-Jeff
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:52 PM
How can we stop winter?
Frederick, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,336 Posts
Servo Extensions

Time to attach the servo extensions. The elevator servo gets an 18", and the ailerons get 6" extensions.

I have seen many methods of securing the servo wires to the extensions.
-Clips
-Safety Wire (Credit: Scott Stoops)
-Tape
-EVEN GLUE (WHY? I'm not sure)

I personally like to use 3/8" shrink tube to hold the connectors in place. Works well for securing the "semi-permanent" connections. Shrink tube is also very easy to remove with a razon blade when the time comes. I then like to use safety clips for all other connections.

-Jeff
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:44 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,825 Posts
Looking good Jeff. Looks like we might 3-4 of these at Lama on saturday!

Cory
RC4x4 is online now Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:37 AM
How can we stop winter?
Frederick, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4x4
Looking good Jeff. Looks like we might 3-4 of these at Lama on saturday!

Cory
Thanks Cory.

I will have to be sure and bring my camera! See you there...

-Jeff
Old Sep 16, 2009, 05:40 PM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,037 Posts
Servo Extensions

I have to remove the wings every time on this size plane and don't like to plug into the RX every time so I us a short extra extension if needed. the Hitec 225MG servo leads just make it inside of the fuse (if I don't twist them like I prefer to do). Is there enough length to comfortably use the 6" extensions permanently on the RX?
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:12 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell
I have to remove the wings every time on this size plane and don't like to plug into the RX every time so I us a short extra extension if needed. the Hitec 225MG servo leads just make it inside of the fuse (if I don't twist them like I prefer to do). Is there enough length to comfortably use the 6" extensions permanently on the RX?
I use (2) 4" extensions on each wing. One attached securely to the servo like above and one plugged into the Rx with a zip tie holding it on the correct side of the fuse so it is easy to tell which extension goes into which wing.

Rob
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:22 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts

Not that it matters in this size plane but I usually take the cover off the male plug when I am going to secure a connection with heat shrink like this. It is kind of a trade off for the weight of the heat shrink but where it has come in handy is the connection will be smaller which I have been able to pull threw some tight places. You can also use a smaller size heat shrink tube

Rob
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:30 PM
departure from controlled flt
SF Bay Area
Joined Oct 2004
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell

Approximately 1" of HS-225 servo lead extends through the wing root into the fuse (including the connector, ~1.5").

Yes, do-able (though perhaps a bit UNcomfortable) to mate with extensions permanently plugged into the RX.

--
Larry
airportdog is online now Find More Posts by airportdog
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:05 PM
How can we stop winter?
Frederick, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,336 Posts
I would consider 4" or 6" extensions from the receiver and safety clips.

Like these: http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=305

Not enough weight penalty to worry about on this size of airplane.

-Jeff
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:06 PM
How can we stop winter?
Frederick, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint

Not that it matters in this size plane but I usually take the cover off the male plug when I am going to secure a connection with heat shrink like this. It is kind of a trade off for the weight of the heat shrink but where it has come in handy is the connection will be smaller which I have been able to pull threw some tight places. You can also use a smaller size heat shrink tube

Rob
Good idea Rob, thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:13 AM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Jeff,
The build is looking great. Hope to see it fly Saturday at LAMA.

Hypersprint,
Good idea on zip tying the extensions for the ailerons to the side they are supposed to go to.

I have used the heat shrink method of holding extentions together but have melted a couple of plastic cases myself. The aeroworks servo locks are very nice especially for places that need to be removed. I have used for semipermanent locks the smallest zip ties I can find. They work great by looping through one of the inside sets of 3 wires on the extension to the servo wire..

Joe
jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75