HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:53 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyness
I ALMOST grabbed the MX, but you guys have me looking this way again. One of the things that caught my attention is the fact that I can't find any vids of the MX doing any precision snaps, etc... I also like the bigger fuse.
Snaps?... snaps are sick with the SC. Forgive me for waxing lyrical, but they happen with energy and a grace I haven't flown with a plane before. You can stop them like any good snapping plane, but while ever you have the inputs there the plane just keeps hanging on, and you can continue the snap or stop it, or change it; change the rudder direction and it'll boot the tail out and maintain the energy of the tumble and end up waterfalling. The basic appearance of the snap is just gorgeous.

Here's my last vid, there's a snap and changeups in there somewhere...

an Extra fun movie... (7 min 37 sec)

...when it comes to snaps and anything rolling, this plane is excellent.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:02 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft
Yeah...the setup makes them feel more different than they would have.
The SC really seems optimized for the lighter setup. If you afre used to flying 5s it's going to take a few flights to figure out how to get the most out of he 4s setup.

Mostly you'll be afraid you don't have enough power for pulling out of trouble,but that just teaches you to stay further agead of the aircraft. I used to be lazy and sloppy and count on the blast-out power to sacveme, buton low power I have to think aheadandplan ahead, and I think that' made me a better pilot.

Jumping back and forth between the two might not be helping you. I'de suggest to just fly the crapout of the SC and leave the SHP home for a weekend or two. Learn to push the SCreally hard,and when you go backtothe SHP you'll wonder how you evercontrolled all that 5s power.

For me the SC is sooooo much easier to fly than the SHP, simply because I don't havemore power than I can control.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:06 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
Snaps?... snaps are sick with the SC. Forgive me for waxing lyrical, but they happen with energy and a grace I haven't flown with a plane before. You can stop them like any good snapping plane, but while ever you have the inputs there the plane just keeps hanging on, and you can continue the snap or stop it, or change it; change the rudder direction and it'll boot the tail out and maintain the energy of the tumble and end up waterfalling. The basic appearance of the snap is just gorgeous.

Here's my last vid, there's a snap and changeups in there somewhere...

http://vimeo.com/7070335

...when it comes to snaps and anything rolling, this plane is excellent.

The low rollers are beautiful.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:20 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
You guys got me thinking of retroing my SHP. Pulling the Reaper 60 and putting a 45 in it. Then converting the dual elevators over to a single servo. Then with a 2650 instead of 4400 it should be a decent amount lighter.

Things that make you go hmmm
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:29 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars
You guys got me thinking of retroing my SHP. Pulling the Reaper 60 and putting a 45 in it. Then converting the dual elevators over to a single servo. Then with a 2650 instead of 4400 it should be a decent amount lighter.

Things that make you go hmmm
sell it, get the SC
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:33 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
sell it, get the SC
Ditto. Once flight on the SC and I was sold.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:05 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
That's what I did .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Oct 28, 2009, 02:00 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Nah, I wouldn't sell it. It's probably my favorite plane. If anything I could strip it down and just keep it as a backup, or use it when the weather is less then ideal for the "new bird". With the current news of the 72" due in the spring I'm thinking of just holding off for that one!!! I figure if I lighten the SHP like previously mentioned it'll be more like an SC compared to what it is now anyway.

I may not bother with the elevator servo since that's a lot of work now that the plane is already built. But I can easily install the Reaper 45 on it since I already have that here. Then I can see if I really like it lighter and with a bit less top end.

Right now I've been babying it while I've been putting in a lot of stick time on the 51" Slick working on the setup to get everything dialed in exactly right. I had to do a rebuild on the Slick due to an elevator servo failure going straight down WOT (WOT until I realized I had no elevator). Tore the plane up to the back of the canopy. I fixed it all back up only adding about 1.5 oz which isn't bad considering the resin and glue needed for the repairs to the fuse/cowl/canopy and wing tips. I of course had to rebuild/make a new motor box as well as put the front half back together. Flys good now except I goofed a bit on the thrust angle and need to shim a bit more right thrust and a bit of up thrust to it. So my 51" slick is my new beater plane. I figure it's flying on "borrowed time" now anyway.

I prevously didn't care for the flight character of the Slick compared to the SHP when I first got it but I've got to say it's growing on me every time I fly it now. It just keeps getting better and better. It's amazing how "similar" looking planes can fly so differently! I really wanted to try and get so used to the Slick that I liked it better then the SHP. Then I could justify getting the 70" Slick. Now with the news of the 72" SC due in the spring I've got "option anxiety". I know there is no bad choice between the two at all and I'd be happy with either but I think another 2" will win out for me. Hell if the 57" SC flys better then the 55" SHP then the 72" SC is probably going to blow me away with how smooth it flys!

Ben, do you think an AXI 4130/20 will be a good match for the 72" when it comes out? I know the /16 might be better but I've got a /20 with only a couple of flights on it in my AT-6 I could steel it from. 6 or 8S is no problem as I've got lots of either battery packs I could use with it.

Thanks,
Carlo
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Last edited by cayars; Oct 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:27 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,523 Posts
The "search this thread" function is down.....so does anybody know if a Torque 2812-720 on 4s has been tried in the 57" Extra yet? Needs to be some more options for the gear from the 51" Slick..........
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:36 AM
ModemMisuser
Lafayette, IN
Joined Dec 2007
1,095 Posts
Now I just have to hope the airplane is still in stock come Thus/Fri when I have funds available to get it on order...
Jon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Jon Craig
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:37 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
That should work. Pair it with 14x7 or 15x6 and 4S 4000
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:38 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
GP - Yep. It's gentle, needs a bigger pack than the slick to balance easily. I can balance that size motor on mine w/ 4S 3700, pack is not up against firewall. On a 4s 2200-2600 you'll need a smidge of weight in the nose...will still be an uber-floater.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:41 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,523 Posts
Thanks Bone Doc and Ben. I was hoping to use my 4s 2600's. Could run two of them I guess. If I have to buy new packs anyways, I have a 4014 that I'm not using at the moment....just that I have a spare 2812 too.

Ben - are there any plans for another airframe that will directly take all of the 51" Slicks gear? It kind of seems to be all alone in the 3DHS lineup.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:58 AM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Yea.....good question and I'm looking for the answer too.
I have the Slick and defacto power system (2812-720, 55amp ESC, 14x7, 4S2350 packs).
That all works great with the Slick.
That all seems to big for a 47" plane, yet to small for a 55" plane.

I'll repair my Slick and fly it like that as it works so great for that plane.
But I too was wondering if there was any other plane that this gear would work in....just curious.

Coo
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:58 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
GP, if you don't mind looking a little funny, you can space your motor a tad up front, and then the pack will fit in the front of the motor box. That's what I did with my GR 45 and 4S 2500 packs.

Or just add an oz / two at the nose and you're still going to be ahead in the weight department.