Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
FYI on the GR-60:

Watt metered it last night with a Turnigy Plush 80a, 15x7, Turnigy 4s-3600 30C

1 sec burst
97.3A
15.6V
1513W
I didn't want to sustain that for 10 secs because I pulled so hard. The power on the bench is tremendous. Haven't weighed it either so I don't know my power to weight, but I didn't do anything non-typical so I expect standard weight. Killer power though, can't wait to fly it. I might need to prop down. I will try it on a 14X8.
BustedBlades is offline Find More Posts by BustedBlades
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:56 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
Power system setup?

Extreme Flight Power System: Torque 4014 motor with Airboss 80 Elite ESC

Batteries: Thunder Power 4s 3850 Pro Power 30C batteries

Prop: APC 16/8 prop.

For control throw setup and CG, I went straight out of the manual.

As far as the power system, lots of guys have Torque 4014 motors left over from their SHP, Yaks, Katanas, etc, that they flew on 5S. That what I've got in mine, and dropping to 4s didn't hurt it a bit.

In fact, I've still got just a little too much power because the new Pro Power batteries have a lot more punch than my 4s Extreme V2 packs. I think I can get around that by working on my throttle control and trying to inprove that. I might also try 30% expo on my throttle channel.

I've become a believer in lower power systems. The 4014 on 5s was just stupidly overpowered. It was so much power that you not only couldn't use it, but it was hard to modulate and control. I am much happier flying the SC on 4s than I ever was flying the SHP on 5S. At the time I just didn't know any better.

I'm not afraid of high powered planes at all. In fact, I used to race Formula One, so I like a badass plane. For 3D, though, too much power hurts your ability to keep the airplane in a post stall attitude. It's too easy to blast off when you are overpowered.

This isn't my idea either. I got this from Andrew Jesky, and since he's the man, I figured I had better give it a try. I think it's made a better pilot out of me. It's certainly made things much easier.

For those who haven't been to the blog lately...........

Doc,this i think is one of the smoothest flights ive seen you do.This is a compliment and im not slaming your balls to the walls previous vids either..i still dont know how you get away with what you do with thos planes lolol.But the SC looked rock solid and good stick work by the pilot.i really think you should move to the cochran ga area soon.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 22, 2009, 01:04 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
yeah, I liked that vid too. nicely done!
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2009, 01:18 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1
Doc,this i think is one of the smoothest flights ive seen you do.
Thanks, Manta. I can always count on you for something positive.

However, check out vid #4 because it is the smoothest of this batch.

Quote:
....im not slaming your balls to the walls previous vids either..
Oh, that's ok. I'm sure those people will show up eventually.

Quote:
But the SC looked rock solid.........
Well, it is. The lighter weight makes the plane easier to fly slower, and also more agile and stable at those lower speeds. Everything just slows right down and there is more time to deal with everything.

Comparing that to my SHP videos, the really big difference is the power-to-weight ratio between those planes. The SC is much, much more manageable with the 4s power. 5s was just too stupid much overkill...way, way, way too much....much more than you could even use.

Looking back, by comparison, I think I was just hanging on with the SHP, and now I'm flying the SC. I feel much more in control, and much more confident. The SC almost feels like a 47" SHP in how easy it is to toss about, but it retains the SHP's big plane feel without the overbearing awesome power.

Of course, I was pretty confident and at ease with the SHP, but at the time, I just didn't know any better that lower power actually gives you more control. I always thought more power was more to get out of trouble with, and it was. More power, especially too much power, makes staying in post-stall flight much more difficult. The whole idea of 3D is to slow the plane down, and more power works against that.

And I think that's where the SC came from. I think the SC is just the lightweight 130-170wpp philosophy grafted on to the SHP. The SC is not a completely new plane....it just flies completely different.

Quote:
I really think you should move to the cochran ga area soon.
Maybe you ought to move to Florida.......it worked for Hypersprint!

Flight 2:

Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Oct 22, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 01:42 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
And tonight I get my first private lessons from The Doc
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:09 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
....make sure you wear your hard hat.......
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:23 PM
Fear is the mind killer
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
Is 15x7 pulling 97 Amps too much prop for the GR-60??? Max amps on the website says 80 A!! I guess I can run it and see if it gets hot.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:41 PM
May the Farce be with you...
Duncanville, Alabama. USA
Joined Dec 2006
8,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17
....make sure you wear your hard hat.......
Maybe a Full face motorcycle helmet, and Military grade Body Armour.....

(Oh yeah, Steel toed shoes).
refugeefromcalif is offline Find More Posts by refugeefromcalif
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:41 PM
Fear is the mind killer
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
Guess I will have to wait another day for the maiden flight...
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:50 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
i saw Ben fly in the rain at seff,so 3dhs planes are water proof..go ahead and maiden.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:26 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
I met up with Hypersprint and Charles Allen at the Parrish club and put a few more flights on my new SC. I wasn't on my game at all and didn't give the plane a very good ride, but at least I didn't hurt it and I did enjoy hanging out with the guys.

I borrowed Earnie's (the club president) plane for the full contact combat and scored a full tilt kill, unfortunately on one of the nicest dudes in the club! Of course, killing the other guy is what you're supposed to do, so we all had a good laugh over it.

Next Thursday will be the last Parrish Thursday Cool Guys Throwdown with cookout, Combat, and Night Flying until daylight savings time returns in the spring, so I hope to make it down there.

I flew pretty badly today, so it's a good thing I held back one decent SC video.........

Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 23, 2009, 09:37 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBlades
Is 15x7 pulling 97 Amps too much prop for the GR-60??? Max amps on the website says 80 A!! I guess I can run it and see if it gets hot.
That just doesn't seem correct to me but I could be wrong. I run a 15x8 prop on my Reaper 60s with Airboss 80 ESC and have never seen the amps that high.

I wonder if there is a problem with your watt meter? Which one are you using?

Carlo
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:53 AM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
I met up with Hypersprint and Charles Allen at the Parrish club and put a few more flights on my new SC. I wasn't on my game at all and didn't give the plane a very good ride, but at least I didn't hurt it and I did enjoy hanging out with the guys.

I borrowed Earnie's (the club president) plane for the full contact combat and scored a full tilt kill, unfortunately on one of the nicest dudes in the club! Of course, killing the other guy is what you're supposed to do, so we all had a good laugh over it.

Next Thursday will be the last Parrish Thursday Cool Guys Throwdown with cookout, Combat, and Night Flying until daylight savings time returns in the spring, so I hope to make it down there.

I flew pretty badly today, so it's a good thing I held back one decent SC video.........
Did you just say you were not on your game and held back lol
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:21 PM
Fear is the mind killer
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars
That just doesn't seem correct to me but I could be wrong. I run a 15x8 prop on my Reaper 60s with Airboss 80 ESC and have never seen the amps that high.

I wonder if there is a problem with your watt meter? Which one are you using?

Carlo
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10080

basically the same as the "Wattsup" meter

I took two readings. It was very clearly 97 amps, 15.6v, and 1513W

I have a turnigy plush 80A. It does not have the auto-timing feature like the Airboss, which is plug and go, so to make it sync at WOT I had to change to timing to HIGH. I contacted Scott and he said to prop down and the timing was giving me high numbers.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 01:04 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBlades
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10080

basically the same as the "Wattsup" meter

I took two readings. It was very clearly 97 amps, 15.6v, and 1513W

I have a turnigy plush 80A. It does not have the auto-timing feature like the Airboss, which is plug and go, so to make it sync at WOT I had to change to timing to HIGH. I contacted Scott and he said to prop down and the timing was giving me high numbers.
It definitely sounds like you need to prop down, but I'd be more worried about the ESC myself. It seems like there would be a good possibility of it frying pretty quick pushing that much current!
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777