HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:17 AM
Fear is the mind killer
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
Finally got all my equipment in to finish my Extra. Maiden this afternoon.

Setup:
Reaper GR-60 (EMP 14*8, ACP-E 15*7) I'll try both
Turnigy Plush 80A ESC
Turnigy 4s- 3600mAh- 30/40C
Hitec HS-225mg's all around
AR6200 rx

Kinda concerned with the built in 5V/3A BEC on the Turnigy ESC. Do I need a separate BEC just so I can use 6V?

Anyone else using 5V/3A on the HS-225's?
any issues?
Jitter?
Trouble centering?

Thanks,
Hebert
BustedBlades is offline Find More Posts by BustedBlades
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:37 AM
GreeneAeroFlyers
Greeneville, TN
Joined Mar 2004
287 Posts
I've got over a dozen flights on mine with the Plush 80A and haven't had any problems. The more I fly this plane the more it becomes my new favorite.

Ken
kenkey is offline Find More Posts by kenkey
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:45 AM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
wrong thread
jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:10 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,860 Posts
We're going to talk money here. Certainly things such as lighter batteries and one less servo are going to save you weight, but let's forget that for now and just talk about the bottom line.

Something I didn't go into during the report is just how much less expensive of a plane the SC is, as compared to the SHP. Before I got my first 55" SHP, I had to wait. For one thing, big lipos were much more expensive then, but also I would need to buy a 5S battery charger. About a year and a half ago, a 55" plane wasn't a cheap investment.....but that's changed.

Admittedly the price of the kit is up over the SHP, but it's the same amount as the SC's carbon landing gear that most of us would have bought anyway. It's just standard now. With this in mind, the price of the arf really hasn't changed, and wing bags are free. The price staying the same is almost the same thing as a reduction, especially if you compare that to everyone else jacking their prices through the roof.

There are a couple of areas where you save money that you can see. Of course right off the bat you save $25 because the elevator now only requires a single servo instead of dual, but let's keep digging.

Depending on which brand you fly, by dropping from 5 cell batteries to 4s you're going to save from $25 to $40. If you're like most guys, you'll have two batteries, so now you're saving around $50 to $80 on batteries alone. If you like to fly all day and use 4 batteries, you've saved $100 to $160 just by getting rid of that extra cell that you didn't need anyway.

The biggest single savings you're going to see with this plane is the battery charger. Most of us upsized into the 55" SHP, Edge or SR from planes like the 47" SHP, Edge, Velox, etc. We were already flying 4s batteries, or at least had a 4s capable charger. What's nice here is that I didn't need to buy a new charger. I can keep using what I've already got. Now that saved me a cool $150.

So, in the beginning, compared to a 47" plane, you will spend $100 more on the 57" SC ARF, but, as compared to a 5S powered plane, you'll save that money in startup costs for batteries and a charger.

I'm not sure if this is what 3DHS was after when they went to 4s operation on the SC, but I think a lot of guys who are sitting on the fence thinking a big 55-57" plane is too expensive for them might want to give the SC a harder look.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:13 AM
ModemMisuser
Lafayette, IN
Joined Dec 2007
1,095 Posts
Heh - I never even thought of charger cost. (I LOVE my Hyperion Duo...)

Yeah, if you only have a 3s or 4s capable charger... you'll save a ton of money being able to stay with the lower cell counts.
Jon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Jon Craig
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:00 AM
Petaluma, Ca.
Joined Mar 2006
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBlades
Finally got all my equipment in to finish my Extra. Maiden this afternoon.

Setup:
Reaper GR-60 (EMP 14*8, ACP-E 15*7) I'll try both
Turnigy Plush 80A ESC
Turnigy 4s- 3600mAh- 30/40C
Hitec HS-225mg's all around
AR6200 rx

Kinda concerned with the built in 5V/3A BEC on the Turnigy ESC. Do I need a separate BEC just so I can use 6V?

Anyone else using 5V/3A on the HS-225's?
any issues?
Jitter?
Trouble centering?

Thanks,
Hebert
I used a plush 80 for approx 500 flight's. There was never any problem with the bec and that was with 5ea) hs-225's. I did have to set the timing to high to prevent the motor loosing "sync" upon rapid throttle increases.
BOBBY1017 is offline Find More Posts by BOBBY1017
Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:23 PM
Fear is the mind killer
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBY1017
I used a plush 80 for approx 500 flight's. There was never any problem with the bec and that was with 5ea) hs-225's. I did have to set the timing to high to prevent the motor loosing "sync" upon rapid throttle increases.
Do you mean it would "squelch"?
Which motor were you using?

Good to hear no servo issues with 5v.
Last edited by BustedBlades; Oct 20, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:20 PM
Fear is the mind killer
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
Should I use the spacers with the GR-60? It is 9.7 oz (272g). cowl fits either way.

Matt
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:22 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Should I use the spacers with the GR-60? It is 9.7 oz (272g). cowl fits either way.

Matt
nup, just bolt it on.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:24 PM
Fear is the mind killer
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
nup, just bolt it on.
Thanks,

KM- how are you liking the SFG's on this one?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:34 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Thanks,

KM- how are you liking the SFG's on this one?
I have to bolt them back on and fly a little more to say. I took them off for giggles just as there was a rash of calmer weather... throw in added familiarity, jury is out until I get more familiarity and put them back on. In short, increases the yaw abilities, you'll want more rudder expo. This thing harriers like a champ without them, so it almost voids anything you'd say about their effect on harriers.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Oct 20, 2009, 03:11 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,655 Posts
Nice report Doc! I completely agree about the lightly tinted canopy. I hope this makes its way into the future 3DHS releases as well. I'd definitely be willing to pay a little extra for each plane to already have this extra touch taken care of!

I'm going to try my first tinting job on the canopy on my 70" Slick and I'm really hoping it turns out okay. I picked up some Pactra window tint to use. Also, I have a spare cracked 55" Edge canopy to practice on first, so maybe that will help.
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777
Old Oct 20, 2009, 03:25 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman777
!

I'm going to try my first tinting job on the canopy on my 70" Slick and I'm really hoping it turns out okay. I picked up some Pactra window tint to use. Also, I have a spare cracked 55" Edge canopy to practice on first, so maybe that will help.
Rough up the inside of the canopy with some 2000 grit sandpaper. If you don't the paint will fisheye because of the mould release compound.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 20, 2009, 03:57 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
Rough up the inside of the canopy with some 2000 grit sandpaper. If you don't the paint will fisheye because of the mould release compound.
Thanks for the tip. I thought I had read somewhere that I needed to roughen it up first, but couldn't remember for sure.
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:36 PM
Petaluma, Ca.
Joined Mar 2006
706 Posts
Quote:
Do you mean it would "squelch"?
Which motor were you using?

Good to hear no servo issues with 5v.
That's one way to put it. It was a hacker a40-12 10 pole, 750 kv. Maybee the # of poles had something to do with it. This was really a helicopter motor I think.
BOBBY1017 is offline Find More Posts by BOBBY1017