HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2009, 09:52 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
word of warning... any SD card you use in it will be dedicated to the purpose, you can't simply drop in the one from the camera because it had a little spare room, etc etc. They use a proprietary file system, so even if you have a ton of models in there, opening the card on a computer will see one file that is the full capacity of the card (their file system)... so, it's still as closed as CAMPAC, but super cheap. If you want to backup cards, use little ones like 32mb and such.
Thanks for the tips! I had planned to find a 32MB SD card that I got with an old camera that never was big enough to store enough photos. If I can't find that then I will buy a small capacity card. I had hoped it would come with a small capacity card already.
SonyVegasUser is offline Find More Posts by SonyVegasUser
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2009, 05:11 PM
Joined Dec 2005
361 Posts
Got several flights on my Extra today. Got a lot of comments from the guys at the field. Sure is a nice flyer. I cracked my carbon fiber landing gear today on a hard landing. It is still in one piece but one side seemed to be vibrate while I was rolling down the runway. Upon further inspection I found a crack and some delamination on one side.
Adam G is offline Find More Posts by Adam G
Old Oct 17, 2009, 06:16 PM
Fear is the mind killer
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
Hey guys, Had a great day at the field even though I split my 42 slick in half.

A guy had a 330sc and he had problems hovering it. He is a good pilot, so it may be his heavy setup, or the 25+ gusts we had.

Any thoughts on how this plane performs 3D compared to the other 3DHS line up????

I saw Aaron (KM) completely handlin it, but we all know he is a Jedi.

Thanks guys,
Hebert (AKA: A-Beer)
BustedBlades is offline Find More Posts by BustedBlades
Old Oct 18, 2009, 08:36 AM
Baton Rouge, LA
Joined Jan 2005
82 Posts
[QUOTE=BustedBlades]
A guy had a 330sc and he had problems hovering it. He is a good pilot, so it may be his heavy setup, or the 25+ gusts we had.

Matt
I think it the wind. I let him fly my Slick which he can torque roll well and he had the same problem. He finally admitted it was probably the wind.

Rusty
jrusto is offline Find More Posts by jrusto
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:24 AM
Fear is the mind killer
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
[QUOTE=jrusto]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBlades

Matt
I think it the wind. I let him fly my Slick which he can torque roll well and he had the same problem. He finally admitted it was probably the wind.

Rusty
after you left, he kept on about it... He was wanting to sell it. The other guy (red hair, beard) flew it and torque rolled it, despite the wind. I think it was his heavy setup. The plane is not designed for a gearbox. Aussin flew his Giles again when the wind let up and he was TR that one...
I just wanted to see what others though.
BustedBlades is offline Find More Posts by BustedBlades
Old Oct 18, 2009, 01:43 PM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Well, I finally maidened today. I should have waited or at least picked a different field. I didn't want to have to wait another week (with all of the kids activities in the evenigs after work and the fact that I have to go out of town for a couple of days). I should have gone to the AMA field about 45 minutes away. At least it is over, I get so nervous doing a maiden flight. Now, I can relax on my next flight.

I flew in an industrial park near my house. I don't recall those young trees being in the center of the field like that. They are about 8' to 10' tall. I probably never noticed them before because I never needed to land in the direction before.

Wind mapper indicated that the winds were up to 25 mph but it seemed like there were calm periods where I could squeeze a flight in. From the moment that I took off and made my first circuit of the field, I knew that I shouldn't have rushed it. I spent the whole flight trying to line up for a landing. The flags on the buildings near by were whipping pretty briskly and making a lot of noise. Plus, I think my pull-pull cables were not quite tight enough because the plane was wiggling back and forth a little bit like the flags.

Every time I tried to line up a nice approach into the wind and gradually come down for a landing, I ran out of space because those trees would be in the way. I tried doing a harrier landing "with" the wind like in BoneDoc's 3D clinic (cause the plane bounces less with the wind instead of into it) but when I tried that the wind was carrying the plane too quickly across the field and towards a street and small tree line where I was standing.

Finally, I just jammed in a harrier landing into the wind. I juiced the throttle just before touchdown and then shut it off so the prop wouldn't smack the grass and get tangled in it. It came down pretty hard but I don't see any damage. I think I would have been fine flying in the wind if I was on a much bigger field that had a defined runway. At least the maiden is over and I know that it flies well.

I could really feel the side force generators. This is my first plane with side for generators and the first time flying in 25 mph wind as well. I think the SFGs really helped cut a straight path through the wind and prevent a lot of wing rocking during the gusts.

Mike
Old Oct 19, 2009, 02:18 PM
ModemMisuser
Lafayette, IN
Joined Dec 2007
1,095 Posts
Hehe, flying in 20+ MPH winds always fun...
Jon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Jon Craig
Old Oct 19, 2009, 03:38 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBlades
Hey guys, Had a great day at the field even though I split my 42 slick in half.

Any thoughts on how this plane performs 3D compared to the other 3DHS line up????

I saw Aaron (KM) completely handlin it, but we all know he is a Jedi.

Thanks guys,
Hebert (AKA: A-Beer)
I'm no jedi, but it will hover for sure. However you need to get a feel for how it wants to sit. Until you get the feel for that, sustaining a steady hover/t-roll can be a challenge. My last vid is only just starting to get on top of it.

All planes have a line they need to lock into a hover. It's all about how the form of the plane appears visually. This is more or less the trick of hovering different planes, how well you can adjust to finding how they want to sit.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:12 PM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
I got 2 flights in after work today on the 57" 330 SC.

WOW, the 330 SC is awesome!

I flew in my neighborhood. So, I couldn't do a whole lot. Yes, I know it is getting less and less wise to do that with a 57" plane. Unless I get that 70" Slick and I can get it to take off and land in the neighborhood ok LOL

KE flight has no coupling at all. Elevator drops are unbelievably smooth and easy... Very vertical. Upright and inverted flat spins are very tight and easy to hold. Hovering was pretty straight forward. A KE Circle was very easy to do. I didn't have enough room to try a KE Loop.

I really like the 15 oz / sq ft wing loading on the Extra 330 SC. With my PA Extra 260 and my Acromaster sometimes I feel like I can't get them to come down. They want to stay up forever. I think the higher wing loading helps it touch down more predictably.

I really like the SFGs as well. I think I will have to have some for every plane I buy from now on.

I might want to bump it up to the GR60 though. It is currently running the GR45. It has plenty of power. But when I get a little cock eyed in a hover and already have full rudder deflection and goose the throttle to get more vectored thrust, I have to apply more throttle than I think I should.

I may need to train the neighbors though. I had a small crowd watching me. We need to give them some spectator training and develop a better system of communication to help them stay out of the way when I am coming in for a landing and not walking under me when I am hovering. So, I will probably have break down and go drive to a bigger field from now on. Although it is very fun to have spectators

-Mike
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:20 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,164 Posts
just make sure they are all watching when you prop-strike one that gets too close. that will end that little mess.teeheehee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVegasUser
I got 2 flights in after work today on the 57" 330 SC.

WOW, the 330 SC is awesome!

I flew in my neighborhood. So, I couldn't do a whole lot. Yes, I know it is getting less and less wise to do that with a 57" plane. Unless I get that 70" Slick and I can get it to take off and land in the neighborhood ok LOL

KE flight has no coupling at all. Elevator drops are unbelievably smooth and easy... Very vertical. Upright and inverted flat spins are very tight and easy to hold. Hovering was pretty straight forward. A KE Circle was very easy to do. I didn't have enough room to try a KE Loop.

I really like the 15 oz / sq ft wing loading on the Extra 330 SC. With my PA Extra 260 and my Acromaster sometimes I feel like I can't get them to come down. They want to stay up forever. I think the higher wing loading helps it touch down more predictably.

I really like the SFGs as well. I think I will have to have some for every plane I buy from now on.

I might want to bump it up to the GR60 though. It is currently running the GR45. It has plenty of power. But when I get a little cock eyed in a hover and already have full rudder deflection and goose the throttle to get more vectored thrust, I have to apply more throttle than I think I should.

I may need to train the neighbors though. I had a small crowd watching me. We need to give them some spectator training and develop a better system of communication to help them stay out of the way when I am coming in for a landing and not walking under me when I am hovering. So, I will probably have break down and go drive to a bigger field from now on. Although it is very fun to have spectators

-Mike
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:39 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,677 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mike...

Many years ago, when I was first attempting to learn how to fly helicopters (before collective pitch and gyros, to give you an idea how long ago), I was practicing hovering in the parking lot of a high school on a weekend. A bunch of kids rode up an their bikes, and I explained to them that this 72" long Schluter Semi scale Cobra was not a toy, and asked them to stay way back... The next thing I knew one of the boys (on a dare) ran out and tried to touch the copter while it was hovering...now, this kid couldn't have been more than ten years old, and believe me, half of the rotor diameter was much longer than his arm. fortunately, I saw him take off and was able to bank it away from him, but, as I was not that good of a pilot, yet, I flew the copter into the ground, and did quite a lot of damage to it, and back then, you couldn't just un-bolt the damaged pieces and put new ones on...you had to rebuild the copter...

So...now I don't fly if there is anybody even relatively close to me...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:10 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,807 Posts
I'm still hobbling around pretty lamely on my bad foot, but enough damm time has passed that I really wanted to get my 57" Extra SC report finished up so I could share it with everyone. We went out and shot some video today, and the text was already done, so it was just a matter of stringing it all together.....

Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 20, 2009, 04:56 AM
ModemMisuser
Lafayette, IN
Joined Dec 2007
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
DAMN I love your long, detailed reports.

Definitely sold me on the 330SC, though I was already 99.9% there anyhow. Now need to fund the project. Anyone have 4x HS-225MGs they don't need?
Jon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Jon Craig
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:17 AM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
Doc - did you notice the SC also has longer ailerons that extend closer to the fuselage? This probably contributes to the low speed control attribute, as well as the holding ability in a hover (especially with smaller diameter props).

BTW: nice write-up
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:20 AM
currently 3D-Dabbler
Richmond, VA
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Excellent job Doc. Beautiful flying. I can't wait to get more time with mine in the air. It is awesome.