SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2010, 10:15 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Yes, generally, but that's a crutch that you won't want to use later. Make it a goal to learn to hover and torque-roll a properly balanced airplane and more advanced flight routines will be easier later.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2010, 10:31 AM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jun 2009
592 Posts
so would the recomended 120-125mm be a little on the tail heavy side?
kygreen229 is offline Find More Posts by kygreen229
Old May 25, 2010, 10:42 AM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
I have started balancing all of my 3DHS planes at the center of the wing tube. Since I started doing that, it seems like each plane couldn't possibly fly any better in whatever role I throw at it. The wing tube is usually in the middle of the range that 3DHS specifies.

I haven't had any issues hovering etc.

However when I throw the CG way back, hovering is hands off and super stable but I feel like I lose some of the agility and control that I am after in other types of flying.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Old May 25, 2010, 10:53 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
+1 Dabbler (note, that applies to double-taper planes, Extras, Slicks, Veloxes)
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 25, 2010, 10:54 AM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Dabbler View Post
I have started balancing all of my 3DHS planes at the center of the wing tube. Since I started doing that, it seems like each plane couldn't possibly fly any better in whatever role I throw at it.
+1
Well said Dabbler!

D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old May 25, 2010, 10:56 AM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jun 2009
592 Posts
cool deal. So if I remember right 120mm is about the middle maybe a little towards the back of the wing tube..?
kygreen229 is offline Find More Posts by kygreen229
Old May 25, 2010, 08:45 PM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
well guys it happened again. same thing as the first time that put it in the dirt.

wall to hover.

im coming in beside me, off throttle, as it passes me and gets right in front of me, bam i grab throttle and elevator to wall to hover, and ~BARK!~ loud screach no throttle at all. throttle goes dead, all other surfacees still working. it flops over and i get it almost back to level for pancake. all the re-enforcing i did after the first one worked. all that held. jsut transfered the energy further back. snaped the fuse right behind the wing root like a profile. got the canopy too. plenty fixable ill have her ready for FLI.

but this is twice now. same move. off throttle glide to wall to hover. no "gas' what so ever. after the first time ben told me to use a "throttle up" to keep the prop spinning and always out of startup timing. so i did that just before take off i gave 10-12 clicks of up throttle to get the motor spinning and then 2 more for good measure. then throttled up and taxied out and took off.

any way. any ideas? ive got a new esc im gonna try, just waiting on program card. i also want to order another motor to try.

thoughts? its more than coencidence now.
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Old May 25, 2010, 08:55 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
what's the ESC?
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 25, 2010, 09:13 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Sep 2008
293 Posts
Sounds like the ESC can't handle the rapid throttle advancement. That is why Castle esc-s have an adjustable level for throttle. You could just advance the timing to a higher setting if you have a cheapie like a Turnigy. I have a Plush in my Super Chipmunk, and without high timing it will do the same thing with all but the smoothest slowest spool up.
Never had any problems with my Airboss ESC. Castle is adjustable. Those are the only 3 I have any experience with.
prozac is offline Find More Posts by prozac
USA, NY, Brookhaven
Joined Mar 2003
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
+1 Dabbler (note, that applies to double-taper planes, Extras, Slicks, Veloxes)
What about Edge's?
Where is the middle of C/G in relation to the wing tube for them?
rickc
RickC2009 is offline Find More Posts by RickC2009
TEAM CANUCKER HUCKER
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2003
1,636 Posts
I really don't know, just a shot in the dark here.
Maybe the sharp throttle blip under a strenuous load caused the motor and esc to rapidly loose timing, sending a voltage spike back to the esc causing it to go into failsafe mode shutting power to the motor???

Again, I really don't know, I'm just flappin' at the gums here.
ssflylow is offline Find More Posts by ssflylow
Old May 25, 2010, 09:19 PM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
it has a hobbywing 60A and exceed monster power 32

ive got a turnigy superbrain 80A im gonna switch to (pretty sweet unit with data loging, usb programing etc)

also gonna try infinite (ok hobby) motor. the magnets on this one feel really weak.

keep the ideas rolling, i obviously didnt fix it the first time. so you guys think higher timing would help?
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; May 25, 2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 09:37 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Sep 2008
293 Posts
I don't think the magnets feeling weak are an indicator of the motor's power ability, but only a function of the number of poles vs. magnets and how they line up in the can.

I would surely try another esc and whip the throttle up and down on the ground with a fresh pack before getting airborne again. I've looked at the Turnigy Super Brain escs but haven't bought one. They are supposed to have better processors than the plush, so you might not have to set the timing to high to get a smooth running motor.

Good luck.
prozac is offline Find More Posts by prozac
Old May 25, 2010, 09:57 PM
Crashing Gooder and Gooder!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
what's the ESC?
It's the thing-a-ma-bobber
YamaDan is offline Find More Posts by YamaDan
Old May 25, 2010, 10:07 PM
GreeneAeroFlyers
Greeneville, TN
Joined Mar 2004
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
it has a hobbywing 60A and exceed monster power 32

ive got a turnigy superbrain 80A im gonna switch to (pretty sweet unit with data loging, usb programing etc)

also gonna try infinite (ok hobby) motor. the magnets on this one feel really weak.

keep the ideas rolling, i obviously didnt fix it the first time. so you guys think higher timing would help?
The Hobbywing and the Turnigy Plush seem to be the same esc. the both come with identical instructions, the programing is the same and they both use the same programmer. I had to go to high timong on mine to get them to stop doing the same thing.

Ken
kenkey is offline Find More Posts by kenkey