SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 05, 2010, 09:52 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooHead View Post
Toledo Ohio? What is going on there? It is certainly a closer drive than Amerigus Georgia.

Coo
Only a truly gargantuan vendor show...

http://www.toledoshow.com

...and at night the champion RC pilots from around the world converge to see who is the best indoor aerobatics pilot at the ETOC. That's all.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:11 AM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Thanks KM.
I knew I've heard about this big deal event...but it's not really a "fly in" where I can go and fly in front of others. I'm looking forward to going to a real AMA event this year...even a regular AMA flite-site. I always fly by myself behind the local facotry parking lot. Once a month or so, I'll drive down to a local high school field and fly with CFish and SkyKing.

But I'd like to attend a big deal event. That Geogia thing looks and souns like so much fun....but 15+ hour drive would suck.

I'm sure there will be something for me to attend this summer somewhere close.

Coo
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:14 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooHead View Post
Thanks KM.
I knew I've heard about this big deal event...but it's not really a "fly in" where I can go and fly in front of others. I'm looking forward to going to a real AMA event this year...even a regular AMA flite-site. I always fly by myself behind the local facotry parking lot. Once a month or so, I'll drive down to a local high school field and fly with CFish and SkyKing.

But I'd like to attend a big deal event. That Geogia thing looks and souns like so much fun....but 15+ hour drive would suck.

I'm sure there will be something for me to attend this summer somewhere close.

Coo
the huckfest at napoleon OH... not an AMA event, but crazy amounts of fun is had. giant scale gassers all the way down to small electrics (mostly large planes though). 3dhs is title sponsor this year. they're also holding a freestyle contest, so will show a nice cross section.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 01:07 PM
Clifton Park, NY
Joined Mar 2010
193 Posts
Hey guys so I was thinking of running a 50-60 inch plane and was wondering which would be cheaper money wise to build. Thanks
bigeclipse is offline Find More Posts by bigeclipse
Old Apr 05, 2010, 01:10 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeclipse View Post
Hey guys so I was thinking of running a 50-60 inch plane and was wondering which would be cheaper money wise to build. Thanks
huh?... which would be cheaper to build?... what are the options?
Old Apr 05, 2010, 01:13 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,471 Posts
Other than airframe, it doesn't cost much more to build this than it does to build a 45" plane or a 51" Slick. Even a 70" airframe is pretty reasonable. I just set up my 70" Slick for less than I set up my 45" EF Extra 5 years ago.

I like to use Hitec servos, and the ones for this airframe are less than the ones for the smaller airframes. Everything else seems to be a few dollars more the bigger you go, but not hundreds more like just a few years ago.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 01:29 PM
Clifton Park, NY
Joined Mar 2010
193 Posts
I meant to say as in like let's say I wanted to have a 55inch extra or slick if they existed. What usually costs more building one with electric setup or gas setup?
bigeclipse is offline Find More Posts by bigeclipse
Old Apr 05, 2010, 02:06 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeclipse View Post
I meant to say as in like let's say I wanted to have a 55inch extra or slick if they existed. What usually costs more building one with electric setup or gas setup?
err, glow setup?... there isn't really a gas motor that will fit this beastie comfortably. For nitro it's around a .55 size engine. With the cost of nitro, and lipos from china, electrics are seemingly the cost/performance winner these days until you leap around nitro altogether into the gasser sizes of 30cc and up (70" +).

There is a 51" Slick too.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 02:06 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Sep 2008
293 Posts
I don't know of a lot of gas setups for these models. Electric can vary in price by brand and equipment use. Between nitro/gas and electric the equipment is the same except for the motor/esc vs. motor and fuel tank.

My setup electric:
Motor- GR60 (RIP)- @99bucks
ESC- Ice 100- @100bucks
Servos x4- @30 each
battery- 4s 4000 - 28$ each.

Hope that helps.
prozac is offline Find More Posts by prozac
Old Apr 05, 2010, 02:13 PM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
you can also save some money by going chinease.
motor $30
and esc $40
had great luck with them
www.hobbyking.com
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Old Apr 05, 2010, 03:03 PM
To me, every day is Saturday
DAL/FTW
Joined Jul 2006
1,533 Posts
bigeclipse, I have found that there is not a BIG difference in price between a glow and an electric set up. Each has its advantages and its supporters. STANG KILLA SS is correct. If you go Chinese, electric's price can be shaved down. In going Chinese, one does give up a lot of dealer support. Buying American might cost more, however you gain a phone number/email address that stands a better chance of being answered. If you buy from 3DHS, you get the BEST customer support that there is. I have had Ben respond within minutes to an email sent to him at 2am.

gb
fall666 is offline Find More Posts by fall666
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:41 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
Can anyone who owns this plane give me the dimensions to the top of the canopy and top of the tail while sitting flat on the landing gear? I am trying to find out if the plane will fit through my back seat passthrough on a 2007 Nissan Altima. I have plenty of length available, but it only has a 15" tall passthrough and the seats don't go totally flat. Thanks a lot of the help.
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:45 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Sep 2008
293 Posts
Just measured.... about 16". You could always just unbolt the landing gear and bolt them back on at the field. Quick 2 bolt job.
prozac is offline Find More Posts by prozac
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:54 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
Thanks Prozac, was that to the top of the tail or the front canopy? If the canopy is lower, I should be able to feed it through from either the inside or trunk side. The landing gear option would be a last resort, but I am currently flying a Mini Funtana X and want a bigger plane.
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:43 PM
Fly low, fly fast.
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
214 Posts
When I load my planes into my '03 sentra I have to remove the canopy to get enough clearance.
mustng1bob is offline Find More Posts by mustng1bob