1,441 Posts
agreed!
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Old Mar 05, 2010, 03:14 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
Me too! And Jay... How did you cut out those logos? I have been trying to convince my wife that she needs a Cricut for her scrapbooking. I think those would be the ticket to cutting out some covering . She can use it sometimes too, I guess.
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
Old Mar 05, 2010, 05:04 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
For the smaller graphics I found images on the web, resized them for proper fit, and printed them on transparent sticker material with an ink jet printer. You have to spray the stickers with gloss clear, I used Testors, using light coats until they were coated well. Ink jet prints will run when water hits it so you have to seal. For the Pepsi logos I printed them out on regular paper, taped it down with scotch tape, and cut them out using a xacto #11. It's time consuming but the results pay off.
My buddy just bought his wife the Cricut and the software program to go with it. I'm very anxious to try it out. I hear it perfect for doing stuff like this.

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Mar 05, 2010, 05:06 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
great info! thank you very much!

with a name like wildman i wouldnt expect anything less than full throttle!
Haha...I definitely like to use the power! Regarding the username I got that from some guys in school that called me "Wildman" because I was so quiet and reserved. It's kinda like when you call a fat guy "Tiny".
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777
Old Mar 05, 2010, 05:16 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
Thanks Jay

That is a real sharp looker there

Did you glue the regular paper with the logo printed on it to the plane after cutting out and cover with clear as well?

Thanks
Rob
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Mar 05, 2010, 06:02 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
For the smaller graphics I found images on the web, resized them for proper fit, and printed them on transparent sticker material with an ink jet printer. You have to spray the stickers with gloss clear, I used Testors, using light coats until they were coated well. Ink jet prints will run when water hits it so you have to seal. For the Pepsi logos I printed them out on regular paper, taped it down with scotch tape, and cut them out using a xacto #11. It's time consuming but the results pay off.
My buddy just bought his wife the Cricut and the software program to go with it. I'm very anxious to try it out. I hear it perfect for doing stuff like this.

Blessings,

Jay
Great job.... just too bad it's Pepsi (I'm deathly allergic to Pepsi), but the plane looks great...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 05, 2010, 09:34 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Sep 2008
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
Me too! And Jay... How did you cut out those logos? I have been trying to convince my wife that she needs a Cricut for her scrapbooking. I think those would be the ticket to cutting out some covering . She can use it sometimes too, I guess.
All of my graphics are cut on a cricut machine by Mrs. Prozac. She uses a software program to interface called Sure Cuts Alot. Google it....
They are done with UltraCote. Use sticky paper to apply them to the planes, and iron them to make it permanent.
prozac is offline Find More Posts by prozac
Old Mar 05, 2010, 09:55 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint View Post
Thanks Jay

That is a real sharp looker there

Did you glue the regular paper with the logo printed on it to the plane after cutting out and cover with clear as well?

Thanks
Rob
Thanks for the compliments guys!

For the big Pepsi logo it is printed on regular paper, cut out with scissors, taped down over the color of Oracote, cut along the lines, and then the shape/letter is heated into place with an iron. It's kind of tedious but from the looks of the circut and what it can do, it could make life easier.

Mrs. Prozac did a great job on those graphics. Very cool
I wish I had the $$ for the Circut. The machine and that program aint cheap

Blessings,

Jay
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:18 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
...You have to spray the stickers with gloss clear, I used Testors, using light coats until they were coated well. Ink jet prints will run when water hits it so you have to seal...
Jay,

I wonder if applying clear Ultracote over the stickers would keep it from running and be a little easier to do. Just a thought...

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Old Mar 07, 2010, 10:30 AM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer View Post
Jay,

I wonder if applying clear Ultracote over the stickers would keep it from running and be a little easier to do. Just a thought...

Alan
Great thought. I have a roll of clear monokote that I could do that with. I wonder if the heat would melt the sticker material. I'll try it for sure. Sometimes while spraying the clear the graphics would run and I'd have to start over, this would cure that for sure.

Thanks and Blessings,

Jay
Old Mar 07, 2010, 12:10 PM
To me, every day is Saturday
DAL/FTW
Joined Jul 2006
1,533 Posts
Would someone please tell me what the distance is from the back edge of red trim to aft edge of aileron? Thanks.

gb

Prozac showing us how it is done. Yes, I know, it should be "Vyper".

114th Aero Squadron 02/27/10 (9 min 53 sec)
fall666 is offline Find More Posts by fall666
Old Mar 07, 2010, 04:21 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fall666 View Post
Would someone please tell me what the distance is from the back edge of red trim to aft edge of aileron? Thanks.
About 8 3/4" to 9" depending on where you measure close to center.

Blessings,

Jay
Old Mar 07, 2010, 05:12 PM
To me, every day is Saturday
DAL/FTW
Joined Jul 2006
1,533 Posts
Thanks.

Part 2 to that video has Feather flying his 3DHS Slick and an unique Senior Telemaster:
Senior Telemaster Part #2 114th Aero Squadron 02/27/10 (5 min 44 sec)

gb
fall666 is offline Find More Posts by fall666
Last edited by fall666; Mar 07, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 07:33 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
The RC gods were not smiling on me today.

We got home from church and lunch around 2:00. I put all my 4S batts on to charge intending to head out with the SC by 3:30 or so. I'm working on the Velox while my batts charge. Beep, beep, beep--charge cycles complete...and all the batts on my Dynam DC6's are only reading 16.45V. Weird. The clocks ticking, but I take the extra hour and a half to run them all on the Hyperion 0606i and get them up to 16.8V. With the sun already setting I pack up and drive 15 minutes to the field. I get there and it's windy (was dead calm at the house), but by golly I'm gonna get one good flight in. I set up the the plane, racing the sunset, trying to stay focused (wing bolts...check, servo connections...check, controls...free and correct, etc). Just as the sun dips below the horizon I take off...

...3:34 into the flight and my canopy hatch blows off about 200ft up and comes fluttering down way the frak downwind. Balls, says I. I land the plane. Canopy latch is AWOL. I trudge across the sodden field and retrieve the hatch (slosh, slosh). It has a small crack in the balsa rail but is otherwise intact. Back to the plane I find the canpy latch still inside the fuse! How did it not fall out the cooling vent?! Need CA. I'm going to finish this battery. Back to the car for the flight box. Rummage, rummage...rummage, rummage...I remember I took my CA in the house to use on the Velox.

So for 3 hours of prep time I got 3 and a half minutes of flying and a broken canopy hatch.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn