HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:48 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,223 Posts
in-flight failures are fun when you get away with 'em. In this case I was practicing fast hesitation and reversing rolls... aileron servo stopped working and locked into the "you really don't want this wing to be generating any more lift" position as shown in the pic. Was interesting times to say the least.

But, managed to get it down soft enough that the giant slushie that is the field didn't rip the pants off. SFG however didn't fare so well
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:53 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
whew KM.was a closey for sure.glad ya got her down ok.think the sfg will be easy fix.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:27 PM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,688 Posts
Wow I guess snow ain't so bad after all!

Quote:
But, managed to get it down soft enough that the giant slushie that is the field didn't rip the pants off
i love nachos is offline Find More Posts by i love nachos
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:27 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
That was fantastic Tyler. Awesome flying and what a spectacular area.

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:30 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Great job getting her down safely KM!

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Feb 23, 2010, 06:22 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
..... when I started aerobatics/3D flying....."!
....speaking of which.....you know anything about this blue/yellow thing that showed up
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Feb 23, 2010, 06:24 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post
....speaking of which.....you know anything about this blue/yellow thing that showed up
I hope so!

edit: On second though, if it's something that your doctor should know about then I don't want it!
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Last edited by G.P.; Feb 23, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:54 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
My 330 will be here tomorrow!! So EXCITED!!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:52 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
in-flight failures are fun when you get away with 'em. In this case I was practicing fast hesitation and reversing rolls... aileron servo stopped working and locked into the "you really don't want this wing to be generating any more lift" position as shown in the pic. Was interesting times to say the least.

But, managed to get it down soft enough that the giant slushie that is the field didn't rip the pants off. SFG however didn't fare so well
In that case, "could you have" roll inverted, then given it left aileron, until just before landing...or land it inverted..."

This from my years of flying 3D...NOT!!!

Great Flying Arron...glad you saved your plane!!!

Edited, as I sounded like a jerk, when I didn't mean to!!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 24, 2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:14 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
In that case, roll inverted, then give it left aileron, until just before landing...or land it inverted...

SteveT
interesting post. from this I assume that...
a) you feel you could also handle the plane during the event that it transpires out of the blue (I did it, can't be too hard)
b) you can analyse the situation well enough that it's better defined than the plane simply can't fly level any more
c) come up with the plan to roll a plane inverted that has lost the will to produce lift in any proficient manner
d) execute this plan as devised
e) bring it all to feathery soft landing that will do less damage than my SFG falling off

...apologies for the attitude of this post, but, dang. how easy is it to write a "you should have..." post after it's all said and done?... I got it down soft enough to not break anything and the slush took my SFG off. I'm happy with that, sorry that you didn't see it as a situation well handled.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:20 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93 View Post
My 330 will be here tomorrow!! So EXCITED!!
dude! get into it... one of the finest airframes you'll fly. seriously.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:32 AM
TEAM CANUCKER HUCKER
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2003
1,636 Posts
Quote:
a) you feel you could also handle the plane during the event that it transpires out of the blue (I did it, can't be too hard)
b) you can analyse the situation well enough that it's better defined than the plane simply can't fly level any more
c) come up with the plan to roll a plane inverted that has lost the will to produce lift in any proficient manner
e) bring it all to feathery soft landing that will do less damage than my SFG falling off

...apologies for the attitude of this post, but, dang. how easy is it to write a "you should have..." post after it's all said and done?... I got it down soft enough to not break anything and the slush took my SFG off. I'm happy with that, sorry that you didn't see it as a situation well handled.
Well said KM. In these situations, from my experience, instinct kicks in. You don't have time to analyze the situation. This is where a seasoned pilot will pull threw.

Unlike myself, I probably would have had a handful of toothpicks.
ssflylow is offline Find More Posts by ssflylow
Old Feb 24, 2010, 02:17 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Quote:

Hi KM...

Heck no....Even though something like this happened to me, and I tried to correct it, I am not as skilled of a pilot as you are, and I crashed my plane....

I'm sorry if you took my suggestion as criticism, as it was not intended be be. I was just thinking out loud that with the aileron up, and it was rolled inverted, it would act like a flap, then by giving left aileron, it would also have acted like a flap...therefore give you the opportunity to fly it down, as I know that you are a very skilled pilot...

And...I meant to put some "smileys" after my post, but I forgot to do so....

I'm sorry I made the comment, I'll keep my mouth shut concerning your flying from now on...

But...congratulations on saving the plane with minimal damage...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 24, 2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 02:26 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
Hi KM...

Actually, I did have something like this happen, and that is what I tried to do, unfortunately, I am not as skilled of a pilot as you are, and I crashed my plane.

I'm sorry if you took my suggestion as criticism, as it was not intended be be. I was just thinking out loud that with the aileron up, and it was rolled inverted, it would act like a flap, then by giving left aileron, it would also have acted like a flap...therefore give you the opportunity to fly it down, as I know that you are a very skilled pilot...

I'm sorry I made the comment, I'll keep my mouth shut concerning your flying from now on...

But...congratulations on saving the plane with minimal dmage...

SteveT
In that case, use a smilie, some disarming language, not be quite so terse and direct... or re-read to see if maybe your attitude is not being represented.

ArronB

...it's winter, we're not flying enough, etc etc
Old Feb 24, 2010, 02:31 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
If you reread my last post, you will see that I was editing it to say that I had meant to add some "smileys" (which I did mean to do), but you caught it before I had a chance to edit it... sometimes when things are typed, they don't come out quite the way they are meant.... It was not meant as a "you should have"...

Anyway....great flying, I'm glad you saved a very nice plane...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 24, 2010 at 03:22 AM.