Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:57 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
Sweeeet.
Yeh....so tough to build the only thing that slows you down is that you and Scott swung such a nice plane together I didn't want to rush and mar anything on this gorgeous plane!

I had an assembly line going with my son's 42 Slick on the next table.. the planes are so easy to build I just went from step to step on each and they look great...

Thanks again Ben for the cool candy
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:26 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,903 Posts
brown spinners... may be the true mark of the addict.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:54 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I searched and found that flyinhigh025 sealed his hinge gaps, but I didn't see anyone else bother with it. Anybody else sealing their hinge gaps? So easy to do, but is there any point?

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:57 AM
How can we stop winter?
Frederick, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
I searched and found that flyinhigh025 sealed his hinge gaps, but I didn't see anyone else bother with it. Anybody else sealing their hinge gaps? Is there any point?

kendall

I'm sure it's not necessary... I just like to throw in those little performance extras where I can. And the Blenderm tape makes the hinge gap sealing process very quick and painless.

Good question though... anyone else sealing the hinge gaps?

-Jeff
flyinhigh025 is offline Find More Posts by flyinhigh025
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:02 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,908 Posts
Mine are sealed with blenderm.... I guess I always do it . I have a decent gap to allow free movement to a point past 60+* so I just seal it with a strip of blenderm on the bottom. Can't hurt...correct?

Or is it going the way of peeling covering before gluing the elevator stab? Remember having to do that?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:08 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I didn't do it during the build so now it's a matter of undoing the linkages. Not that big a deal really. But then I have nothing to build right now and crappy weather so it'll be fun just to fiddle with the plane for a bit.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Feb 19, 2010, 08:08 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
Quote:
I searched and found that flyinhigh025 sealed his hinge gaps, but I didn't see anyone else bother with it. Anybody else sealing their hinge gaps? So easy to do, but is there any point?

kendall
this is one of those topics that is debated alot.to seal or not to seal.some folk may tell a difference some may not.maybe fly your plane until you get used to it without,then seal them later and see what you think.We usu seal them around here.Im not sure if it helps or not..
Tell you a trick I read about in the forums.After you seal with the blenderm tape,shake some baby powder onto the tape,that way the poweder sticks to the sticky and not grass,dirt,etc.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:06 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,908 Posts
Quote:
I didn't do it during the build so now it's a matter of undoing the linkages. Not that big a deal really. But then I have nothing to build right now and crappy weather so it'll be fun just to fiddle with the plane for a bit.

kendall
no need to undo.... I just gently took the deflection back to the point where it was full to the up with everything attached.... laid down the derm tape on one edge and use an old credit card (3DHS got all of the dollars) to guide the press to that bevel. start in the center and use the card on the rest.. close to perfect but not.....

I usually don't have any sticky on the tape but like Manta's Ball Powder idea for the tape.....good idea for a hot day at the field to prevent that string bean sweat line on the backside if you are not already venting threw plumber crack pants
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:33 AM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
I sealed mine but have not flown yet. I posted a while back that MC Sports and Dunhams carry Howies Hockey tape. It is identical to Blendrem and you get a huge rolls for $4.00 instead of a few feet for $4.00. Just check out your local sporting goods stores if you don't have an MC or Dunhams.

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:44 AM
Citizen #96
NE Denver, CO
Joined Sep 2007
676 Posts
IIRC from my studies years ago sealing gaps is largely a drag reduction technique used for high speed applications that I believe can also serve to inhibit control surface flutter. If this is true for our scale stuff then I would assume there is negligible benefit at the speeds 3D planes fly at.

Having said that I seal mine cause it's easy and it can't hurt.
Steve Graham is offline Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:28 AM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. Corrigan View Post
IIRC from my studies years ago sealing gaps is largely a drag reduction technique used for high speed applications that I believe can also serve to inhibit control surface flutter. If this is true for our scale stuff then I would assume there is negligible benefit at the speeds 3D planes fly at.

Having said that I seal mine cause it's easy and it can't hurt.
Plus the ability to sell 3M Blenderm for $5 a roll instead of the $0.50 it would go for in the hospital is second only to paying $4.50 for a bottle of water

I would only imagine Dubro "highly recommends" sealing all hinges (your house, car, plane, boat, etc.) with their Blenderm stockpile....
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:11 PM
TEAM CANUCKER HUCKER
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2003
1,634 Posts
I buy my Blenderm tape at my local drug store for a whopping buck a roll. I think think they are 50ft. rolls, so I can seal a lot of gaps for a buck.
And I too always seal my gaps. I lost a 70" plane due to flutter once. The throttle linkage let go and I was stuck at WOT on a YS 1.10. All was good until I heard that ppppppppphhhhhhhhbbbbbbbbb sound and see the plane heading straight for the terra firma. I had a minimal amount of control, but just like on a carton of milk, this planes expiration date was up.
ssflylow is offline Find More Posts by ssflylow
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:39 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,140 Posts
Sealing hinge gaps has no downside *if done correctly*. The reason we no longer recommend it much is because it is often done incorrectly, resulting in hinge drag and causes far more problems than it can ever solve. This applies particularly to small planes whose servos are not oversized. On a plane with mondo servos, like most 50CC applications, if you install something wrong in the linakge or hinge system, the servo lets you know by breaking it off, so not much problem with hinge drag in those cases.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:51 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,908 Posts
scary....how does one apply incorrectly?

say I deflect a surface to maximum up deflection and lay blenderm across the beveled surfaces smoothly so there is no strain on the down and back up... Thats how I hve been doing it...

is this the right way?