HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:20 AM
How can we stop winter?
Frederick, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93 View Post
What Hyperion motor is that? Is that the ZS3025-10 775kv?
You are correct... ZS3025-10 / 775
-With BACKMOUNT ADAPTER SET - M8 X 28 MM

-Jeff
flyinhigh025 is offline Find More Posts by flyinhigh025
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:32 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Sep 2008
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
weather hasn't been great but I managed to get out for a couple of packs. mainly to keep trimming and sorting out the setup. Running the Scorpion SII-3026-710 and a 14x7 Xoar, and going by today I'm super happy with it. Tons of power, plenty of forward speed, super smooth and quiet. Running it on an ICE-Lite100 and 4S 4000 flightmax packs and 4S2P 1650 Rhino's. An excellent setup to be sure.

Because the motor is so light, the packs need to be all the way forward to balance, and to make that operation easier I crafted a ply tray that locks into the first former to be secured vertically. It only needs to be stopped from sliding back which doesn't take too much effort (I was using masking tape for this purpose today). The cool thing about this is that the packs can change position on the tray for balance just like a regular setup, etc etc. The blenders I was doing today says that it was up for the challenge.

The plane continues to be a rocking beast to fly, so much fun. Last pic is the evidence that I did indeed get her low enough.

Why not make it easier on yourself and just put a heavier motor in there. I could understand all of this work if you just had it laying around and it makes enough power but not as a suggested setup. Your sled is pretty neat though. Anything on the front to protect the packs from the motor bolts that could occur in a hard nose in crash?
prozac is offline Find More Posts by prozac
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:48 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac View Post
Why not make it easier on yourself and just put a heavier motor in there. I could understand all of this work if you just had it laying around and it makes enough power but not as a suggested setup. Your sled is pretty neat though. Anything on the front to protect the packs from the motor bolts that could occur in a hard nose in crash?
Yup, the plane can certainly fly a heavier motor for sure, can also use nose weight. I did actually have a heavier motor on there, but it simply doesn't need the power. This Scorpion has an absolute ton of power for this bird as it is. And if this little gadget allows the lighter motor to balance a plane without dead weight... means the plane is lighter and it keeps the operation of things super simple. Seems QED to me.

Puncture protection is on the todo list, but until then I'll just keep in mind to avoid nose-down incidents.

Quote:
I could understand all of this work...
...you must be a builder
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:53 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,428 Posts
Sounds like this airframe would be a good canidate to get the 70" Slick canopy/cowl treatment in the future. That is one sweet design feature.
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:12 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,381 Posts
Quote:
Puncture protection is on the todo list, but until then I'll just keep in mind to avoid nose-down incidents.
Incidents are ok as long as they don't include those sudden stops.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Feb 16, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:24 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Yup, the plane can certainly fly a heavier motor for sure, can also use nose weight. I did actually have a heavier motor on there, but it simply doesn't need the power. This Scorpion has an absolute ton of power for this bird as it is. And if this little gadget allows the lighter motor to balance a plane without dead weight... means the plane is lighter and it keeps the operation of things super simple. Seems QED to me.

...you must be a builder
I'm running a Power 32 and 2500mah 4S pack and find I have to push the battery ALL the way into the nose for proper CG (high risk for punctures!). Even then I think my setup is still alittle tail heavy.

-Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:16 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
I'm running a Power 32 and 2500mah 4S pack and find I have to push the battery ALL the way into the nose for proper CG (high risk for punctures!). Even then I think my setup is still alittle tail heavy.

-Flyracer
wow, a light pack too even. In that case I'd be happily adding more battery to balance, duration is a close second to being lighter
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:36 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Sep 2008
293 Posts
KM, what are the temps like on that motor after a flight. You think it would work down here in Texas in the summer? Then again, I don't have anything to put this GR60 in.
prozac is offline Find More Posts by prozac
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:55 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,458 Posts
Flew Sat at our club fun fly and had a minor mid air. crunched the leading edg of the wing at the tip to the first rib.. Easy fix but no more flying that day.

Don't all these reqular fliers understand that when you hover or harrior that that is "your air space" and they are supposed to go some where else. I mean really just sitting there should not make you a target!!

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:59 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac View Post
KM, what are the temps like on that motor after a flight. You think it would work down here in Texas in the summer? Then again, I don't have anything to put this GR60 in.
Yup. This motor is working within its published spec (typically we strain them above published spec for punchouts). It has an integrated fan in it and to be honest I could prop down again and still have enough power. It's the scorpion equivalent of the GR45, which is a recommended motor. I had a GR60 in it, so much power, wanted to see what lighter was like.

No motor mentioned in this discussion is a bad choice, really.

I can eagletree the motor temps, but it's below freezing up here, so your results would most certainly vary.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:55 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Can you feel a difference in the weight with the lighter motor?

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:08 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Flew Sat at our club fun fly and had a minor mid air. crunched the leading edg of the wing at the tip to the first rib.. Easy fix but no more flying that day.

Don't all these reqular fliers understand that when you hover or harrior that that is "your air space" and they are supposed to go some where else. I mean really just sitting there should not make you a target!!

Dennis
Target? You bet, at my field if I hover I am the target so I always use all eyes to see if anyone is anywhere near and go somewhere else. If I don't I will loose a plane. I don't mind so much if it is just a foamie but my 3DHS planes are special and I always fly "boggy avoidance" LOL. .

I had one plane come straight down and into me when I was just flying level. Fortunatly my 47" SHP was repairable but the "other plane" was styrofoam dust.

Fly low and Fly the Best.
jjr2001 is online now Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:20 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
Can you feel a difference in the weight with the lighter motor?

kendall
3oz is starting to nudge the "can actually feel it" range rather than the "I think I can feel it"... but it's still largely academic for a plane this size. I really like this current setup though

The changes will be subtle, fraction less opposing aileron needed in t-rolls, the smaller prop runs a little smoother, the plane locks in a tad quicker when aborting and punching out... it all sounds awesome but it's still a very subtle difference really.

I do want to try a smaller pack to try for a bigger difference.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:55 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I ask because I could conceivably lose about 6oz by dropping down to a 3026-710 and 3700mAh bat. I'm just not sure how noticable that would be.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:08 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Fly The Best

Wow....Man that is all I can think of....Wow.

I just put my first flight on my 57" SC and I must say that it is the very best 3DHS plane I have ever flown. Of course it seems like every time I get a new 3DHS plane it is the best. This Extra flies so perfect and so true that I don't want to fly anything else.

My setup was heavy but the plane flies "lite".

I have the Reaper GR60
4 HS225MG servos
Turnigy 80 amp ESC
Turnigy 5000 mah 4S Lipo

and yes, it seems lite in the air and on landing. More than enough vertical to fly straight up and out of sight.

Landing was smoooooth, very smoooooooth.

I love this plane.

It is amazing that one of the best 3D 57" planes on the planet is so easy to fly. I think this plane is a perfect plane for anyone that can fly the sim or a foamie and keep their orientation of left and right in order. It is not a trainer in that it will just go exactly where you point it so it will not self correct for pilot errors but it is easy to fly....Very easy to fly.

My battery was set about 4 inches in front of the wing tube but I will be moving it back for some 3D type flying.

I set up the linkages at about 80% of the manual recommendations and my entire flight was at medium rates. I can only imagine how she will react when I crank in full rates.

Fly 3DHS and Fly The Best
jjr2001 is online now Find More Posts by jjr2001