HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2010, 12:23 AM
wrecklessly misspeling stuff..
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
1,005 Posts
I am not sure if anyone is interested
..but the hoffman magnetics motor arived today,,,, the windings do look hand wound,
the motor seems to be perfect appication for a light set up 6.8oz 790kv, (another but, thats a double negitive right?)
the x mouunt is attached the back end of the motor and it's plastic..........So even if the motor was awsome, it would never handle high energy manuvers,tumbles ect....
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2010, 12:26 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,005 Posts
Is anybody using carbon fiber x mounts on this plane?.....I ended up getting a scorpion 3026/12. Does scorpion sell carbon fiber mounts??
Old Feb 04, 2010, 12:40 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
I just put a 3026-710 in a 57, and the packs are right up front to balance with the stock metal mount that comes with the motor. So, no need for a carbon mount as far as I can see.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 04, 2010, 02:17 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I had the choice of the 3026-710 and the 4020-10. I went with the 4020 because I heard some folks needed nose weight with the 6-7oz motors. With the 10.7oz motor and 2x 4s/2150 packs it balances nicely but the packs are still half way up under the cowl to get the recommended starting CG.

Is there any way to remove the plastic mount on the Hoffman motor? That seems like an odd thing to do. Plastic?! Maybe that's why they didn't sell enough of them to stay in production.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Feb 04, 2010, 03:16 AM
For the Birds
California
Joined Jul 2004
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck View Post
Is anybody using carbon fiber x mounts on this plane?.....I ended up getting a scorpion 3026/12. Does scorpion sell carbon fiber mounts??
The gobrushless carbon X mounts fit the Scorpion 30 mm motors. The description says it is for the 40 mm series, but the one I bought fits the 30 mm scorpions perfectly.

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...&ref=CF-XMOUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
I just put a 3026-710 in a 57, and the packs are right up front to balance with the stock metal mount that comes with the motor. So, no need for a carbon mount as far as I can see.
I started using carbon mounts instead of metal mounts not because of weight savings but because of longer expected life. The metal X mounts seem to last about 300-400 flights in my airplanes before they fatigue and break. The carbon one listed above is the first non metal mount I have tried and I am hoping it will last longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck View Post
the x mouunt is attached the back end of the motor and it's plastic..........So even if the motor was awsome, it would never handle high energy manuvers,tumbles ect....
Assuming the plastic mount is rigid enough not to flex under load it may well have an advantage over a metal mount due to the fact that plastics often have a much better cycle life than metals. Polypro for example is considered a living hinge, meaning it will last no less than 1 million cycles before failure.
Stagger_Wing is offline Find More Posts by Stagger_Wing
Old Feb 04, 2010, 03:36 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,601 Posts
Quote:
I started using carbon mounts instead of metal mounts not because of weight savings but because of longer expected life. The metal X mounts seem to last about 300-400 flights in my airplanes before they fatigue and break. The carbon one listed above is the first non metal mount I have tried and I am hoping it will last longer.
Hmmmmm...300 to 400 flights??? I hope my planes last long enough to find out if they last that long....so far mine haven't quite done that...about two hundred flights or so seems to be the limit..

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 04, 2010, 03:40 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,496 Posts
I don't think any of my 3D planes have ever broken out of the double digits without a major rebuild!
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:28 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,005 Posts
Thank you staggerwing...Thank you The KM .................. THe plastic X mounts will not do for my style, or even our styles of flying...
I had a Common Sense X mount brake in my first 60 flights,, crazy thing was the only reason I found out was because I decided to change motors.. I loosed the bolts and the motor just fell and hung on 1 piont, leaving only the three of the x's mount pionts still conected....Scary...
I have gotton 100 flights in as little time as 4 and a half weeks.....
Last edited by tuck; Feb 04, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:36 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,005 Posts
From veiwing videos and the corrosponding setups... I have concluded.....
The light set up is for me....cool thing is I can always go bigger later......
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:34 PM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,688 Posts
Got me a GR60 on the way! Thanks Manta..
i love nachos is offline Find More Posts by i love nachos
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:46 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Youre welcome!I expect some video of you rocking your blinged out extra with it bro!Motor ships tomorrow and ill get you a tracking number.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:49 PM
Joined May 2008
1,506 Posts
I still haven't figured out why you guys are using a GR60 in this airframe. Enlighten me. The 45 (4S) in mine has all he power it needs. A 4lb. 8 0z. RTF airplane just needs 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to fly straight up and accelerate. The GR60XL pulls my 7 1/2 lb Vyper Quite well on 5S with an 18x10...Enlighten me. Which manuver do you use all that power in?
Knotnuts is offline Find More Posts by Knotnuts
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:50 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
I think its primarily because the supply of GR-45's dried up and the GR-60 does make for a really, really fun plane.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:53 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
I think its primarily because the supply of GR-45's dried up and the GR-60 does make for a really, really fun plane.
With the GR-60...is that work best on 4S or 5S?
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:54 PM
Joined May 2008
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
For drag racing or pylon?
Knotnuts is offline Find More Posts by Knotnuts