HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:21 PM
The RED filters through
Rendon, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by byHISgrace View Post
The only problem I have with the AR500 is the programing that's needed to run the other aileron channel, you have to make your own mix and use the "gear" channel. Matt

The AR500 has a "channel" or "port" for the separate Ailerons....
RedTalon is offline Find More Posts by RedTalon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:19 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint View Post
I have the AR500 in several of my planes without any problem. For $50 I like it a lot

Rob
+ 1 (bought one for $25 and another for $30)
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:22 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:35 PM
Jesus Freak
USA, TN, Knoxville, Cedar Bluff
Joined Feb 2005
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTalon View Post

The AR500 has a "channel" or "port" for the separate Ailerons....
Yes, but it's just a "y" off the other aileron channel. If you want to run flaperons, you must program a mix the "gear" to aileron channel. Matt
byHISgrace is offline Find More Posts by byHISgrace
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:41 PM
Lets Make a Deal
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2008
7,292 Posts
Quote:
Yes, but it's just a "y" off the other aileron channel. If you want to run flaperons, you must program a mix the "gear" to aileron channel. Matt
I don't have my stuff to confirm this but I am pretty sure that all I have done with the AR500's is plug each aileron into each aileron channel and set the wing type to flaperon.

Rob

Edit: The ports labeled AILE are channels 2 & 6
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Last edited by Hypersprint; Dec 28, 2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:50 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Quote:
Kind of a floaty bird to be messing around with flaperons, but you are right.... built in Y harness....

This is from the AR500 manual

Note: The AR500 features dual aileron channels (channel 2 & 6) making it convenient when using aircraft with two separate aileron servos, no Y-harness or when mixing will be needed.

this post from RCU may contain a contain a work around. I Have not vetted it out to see if the guidance is solid but try it

wpotter6 -> RE: 3 position flaps with AR500 & DX7 (9/29/2009 12:18 AM)

Here are the directions that I put on the Corsair thread about how to make flaperons using DX7 and AR500:

I was able to set this up and bench test it using a DX7 and a spare AR500 with two servos. It is a bit complicated:

1. Use the Gear output to drive the right wing servo (this should be correct but could be the oposiite, i.e left aileron)
2. Turn on Flaperon in order to mix the flaps to the left aileron
3. Set up the desired flap angle
4. Set the Gear travel limts, up and down, to 0%, this is VERY important to prevent the gear switch from driving the right aileron!
5. Mix the AILE to GEAR with 100% rate
6. Mix the Flap to the Gear with 100% rate for the down flap positions, 0% for the Up Flap position

For some unknown reason, I was unable to mix the flap to both the aileron and the gear using 2 differnt mixes, with the flaperon off. I thought this would work, but it did not.

Make sure to use either Mix 5 or Mix 6 for the AILE to Gear mixing, because these channels on the DX7 trim both master and slave. Mises 1-4 do not trim the slave and can be used for the flap to gear mix. The DX6i programming may be slightly different.

These directions can be modifed if you are adding two flap servos with a Y-harness and making two flap surfaces separate from the ailerons:

1. Use the Gear output to drive the flap servos
2. Set up the desired flap angle
3. Set the Gear travel limts, up and down, to 0%, this is VERY important to prevent the gear switch from also driving the flaps!
4. Mix the Flap to the Gear with 100% rate for the down flap positions (both of them), 0% for the Up Flap position

If you use the flaperon technique, you will then avoid having to add two new servos and making a mod to the wing. This also helps to eliminate tip stall, because now the outer portion of the wing has more lift than the inner wing. You just need to eliminate the Y-harness to the aileron and use the Gear output for the other Aileron. There are two AILE outputs on the AR500, but these are simply connected together internal to the receiver and will not work for flaperon.
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:01 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgewing View Post
Kind of a floaty bird to be messing around with flaperons, but you are right.... built in Y harness....
Not so much for landing or takeoff but "spoiler/flaperons" can be used in harmony with the elevator to get extreme pitch. Like doing square loops, etc...

I have mine setup like this on my 3D birds so I can activate it with a switch.

Carlo
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:13 PM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
Not so much for landing or takeoff but "spoiler/flaperons" can be used in harmony with the elevator to get extreme pitch. Like doing square loops, etc...

Carlo
I do the opposite of that. I have mine set to match my elevator.....well not an exact match, but more like 50% flaperon to elevator, and have it set to my trainer switch. So when I want to do fast elevators, I just grab the trainer switch and it make my plane fall like a rock.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:13 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post

Carlo
I thought the Slick already had "extreme pitch"!!!

I'd love to see that!
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:23 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
I do the opposite of that. I have mine set to match my elevator.....well not an exact match, but more like 50% flaperon to elevator, and have it set to my trainer switch. So when I want to do fast elevators, I just grab the trainer switch and it make my plane fall like a rock.
I use my "flap" switch to control "flaps". In the up possition the flaps deflect in the opposite direction of the elevator. In the switch down position the flaps deflect in the same direction as the elevator.

With this setup I can do all kinds of crazy stuff.

Carlo

PS G.P. yea on the slick I don't use as much as on the Extra cause I have to watch or it can snap out a bit or get squirley fast if the plane isn't flying at the correct speed. I wouldn't suggest it on the Slick unless you are very comfortable with it already.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:40 AM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
Aside from flaps...
The AR500 does not allow for sub-trim or travel limit adjustments on the other channel.
So unless your servo is setup *exactly the same as the other wing and is perfectly centered, you will not be able to adjust out aileron differential (axial rolls).
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Dec 29, 2009, 02:17 PM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
two words

LOVE IT

had my maiden on sunday and two more flights today. It is absolutely amazing

Now i need some more packs ...
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Old Dec 29, 2009, 02:40 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,412 Posts
Glad you like it!
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Dec 29, 2009, 02:54 PM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starzen View Post
two words

LOVE IT

had my maiden on sunday and two more flights today. It is absolutely amazing

Now i need some more packs ...
Can't wait to build mine!
i love nachos is offline Find More Posts by i love nachos
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:59 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx View Post
Glad you like it!
How can we not? It's a superb airplane!

Carlo

PS BTW, Scott of all the planes offered by 3DHS (by U or AJ) what is your favorite plane in the 5X-7X" size?