Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:11 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger_Wing View Post
Steve T,

Since you asked about the ICE 100 and the GR-60 I am assuming you are using them together. If not disregard this question. Are you having compatibility issues between the two? I am sending my ICE back to CC because I am having timing issues and the motor sounds like a coffee grinder. I am curious if the motor is not yet compatible with the ICE software or if I just ended up getting a bum unit. My new plan is to run a Scorpion 4020-10 with a 15x10 to get the same feel as the GR-60 with a 14x8.5. By the way CC has great customer service.

-Scott
Hi Stagger...

I talked to Kyle at CC about the problems folks have been having, and he said that the latest firmware has taken care of the problem. If not, I'll get a new Hacker ESC, as I have never had problems with those, and I have the programmer for it.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:35 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
Hi Stagger...

I talked to Kyle at CC about the problems folks have been having, and he said that the latest firmware has taken care of the problem. If not, I'll get a new Hacker ESC, as I have never had problems with those, and I have the programmer for it.

SteveT
is he talking about 3.0?... the short answer is no, 3.0 hasn't solved all the problems. My GR60XL isn't completely smooth with it regardless off the settings (can still burble and "miss" under various situations), and the other day I managed to get it to shut down... so, Castle are still working on it.

the best you can do for these motors: 100 start power, 8khz PWM, low timing. Should run it pretty smooth (will still have the odd burble, but you'll have a generally reliable system). Downgrading to 2.16 wont hurt either for these motors.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:41 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
the best you can do for these motors: 100 start power, 8khz PWM, low timing. Should run it pretty smooth (will still have the odd burble, but you'll have a generally reliable system).
GTK, thanks Arron.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:48 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,223 Posts
actually, let me add to that... low timing can also be taken into "custom" for a value of 2 or 3 (my scorpion is happy with a 3). Either way, the ICE generally means that you'll have to try a setting or two to see what results.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:59 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
actually, let me add to that... low timing can also be taken into "custom" for a value of 2 or 3 (my scorpion is happy with a 3). Either way, the ICE generally means that you'll have to try a setting or two to see what results.
Cool.......I added that to my CC 100 spreadsheet.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:36 PM
For the Birds
California
Joined Jul 2004
400 Posts
Thanks for the info Arron.

Are you having any issue with the ICE and your Scorpion motors?
Stagger_Wing is offline Find More Posts by Stagger_Wing
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:15 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Hi Guys....

Well...though I didn't get my 330 done on Friday as I had hoped, I did get it done today with the exception of putting the decals on and balancing it. I will be using Thunderpower 4S 3850mAH 30C packs, and with one of those, and the GR-60, I am amazed at how light this plane feels. Unfortunately, I don't have a good scale to weigh it on, but I may take it to one of my local grocery stores and weigh it, as I am curious how much it actually doesn't weigh...

Oh...and one thing that I want to ask... on all of my previous 3DHS kits, there was a concave area on the nuts for the "E-Z" connectors for the control surfaces so that you could put some glue there. None of the ones in this kit had that. Has anybody else found this to be true recently??

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2009, 02:21 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Hi Guys....

Well DRAT!!!

As noted in my previous post, I finished my 330 today with the exception of the decals and balancing, and now I can't find my decals. While my shop is not huge, and is in a bit of a mess, there really aren't too many places they could hide and they are nowhere to be seen. I usually put all my decals in one spot, and I have looked there (twice in fact), and they aren't there either. My son has a new kit sitting there, and I will swipe his for the time being, but I will still have to replace them. I looked on the 3DHS site, but couldn't find them listed...

Anybody have a set they are not going to use, and want to part with??

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2009, 02:34 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger_Wing View Post
Thanks for the info Arron.

Are you having any issue with the ICE and your Scorpion motors?
Only had a few flights with one Scorpion (S-4035-380), but its butter smooth so far. It can spin the GR in a reliable fashion, but there's a subtle "missing" or burbling sound in various load/cavitation situations. For the GR's, I'd prolly recommend going with reaper's own ESC's if that's the motor people are after, the ICE is the weak link in that particular chain though. Hopefully Castle can get on top of it properly.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:18 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
Hi Guys....

Anybody have a set they are not going to use, and want to part with??

SteveT
PM Ben...he might can help you out.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:43 AM
Fear is the mind killer
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
New 85A ESC

Hey guys- Wanted to let you know about this controller. I bought it to run my GR-60. Starts the motor ultra smoothly on the default settings. Seems to get considerably longer run times than the turnigy plush.(~2min). No wierd ticking noises, no sputtering, etc. Really happy with this one. 85A- Runs up to 6S. Using 4S on mine- runs cool.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10331

AND- its the first Turnigy I got with an on/off switch.
BustedBlades is offline Find More Posts by BustedBlades
Last edited by BustedBlades; Dec 14, 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:49 AM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,688 Posts
Good tip Blades. I got it saved in my favorites under 57" extra build.
i love nachos is offline Find More Posts by i love nachos
Last edited by i love nachos; Dec 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:16 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Well the weather has been crap fo a week, This morning started out sunny and now the clouds are moveing in for the next round of rain.

Taking my lunch break and heading out to maiden the new yellow SC Only time for a couple of flights

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Dec 14, 2009, 04:07 PM
TEAM CANUCKER HUCKER
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2003
1,636 Posts
Weather has been crap here too. -40f with the wind chill......a little to nippy for me.
ssflylow is offline Find More Posts by ssflylow
Old Dec 14, 2009, 04:46 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Well here I am back at the office after the maiden and 2nd flight.

Scott and Ben have really dialed this thin in, I started off with 5% rudder aileron and 5% rudder elevator mix, both were way too much, looks like 1-2% rudder aileron and 3% rudder elevator will be where it will set in, High alpha knife edge was almos hands off on the right stick.

Inverted flight was close to neutral, with the slightes down needed, I may move the CG forward a tiny bit for precision.?

I have flowen 2 of these now and both needed quite a bit of throttle to rudder mix to fly a straight verticle up line at full throttle, also need a lot of right rudder in a hover. I think I will add a degree of right thrust so I do not need quite as much mix.

Harrior ,as you all know is super solid and it just begs to be harrior landed, I was chicken today. Blenders and flat spins are excelent and inverted exit is just release and fly it out.
Knife edge loops are easy at half throttle, deep snap to a hover, working on the waterfalls, I have to find the right amount of rudder to hold, but it will flip when you find the sweet spot. No knife edge spins, I need to get them in my repitour, ( re watch Bone Doc's clinic).

I am a happy camper Next open day to fly will be the weedend and so far it looks good.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C