SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2003, 04:39 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Harassment by Model Airplane News Magazine....

Late last year, I signed up for 3 free issues of Model Airplane News on the net. I evaluated the magazine, nice, but I went ahead to subscribe to Backyard flyer, which was more up my alley.

I have since received 5 collection notices from Model Airplane News for a balance due on a 1 year subscription, advice that they are ceasing my subscription (after the 3 free issues) and on the last one, that they are considering lowering my credit rating.

WHAT?

I'm getting a headache from these collection notices. The language is bordering on accusations of being a deadbeat. I have written to the company to try and stop these bills.

I'm also not renewing my Backyard Flyer subscription which is published by the same company just because they have treated me so badly.

Lastly, have any of you gotten this sort of stuff from Model Airplane news?

JT
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Last edited by BING!; Apr 18, 2003 at 05:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2003, 04:50 PM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
YEP!

I subscribed for a year, and then didn't renew, then I started getting the notices. I finally had to call and share some of my thoughts...the collection notices then quit.

Bob
mefly2 is offline Find More Posts by mefly2
Old Apr 18, 2003, 04:58 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
BING!. I had the simular thing happen, and I canceled after the 1st free issue. ( sorry but the reviews are so "fake", and some of the information in the issue I received was plain old WRONG) Finally after quite a few calls it was setttled. A big hasstle that has kept me away from Back Yard flier. I hear they use the same tactics with their advertising.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:13 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,295 Posts
Just curious...did they even send you any magazines beyond the 3 free issues? Seems very strange to try to collect on a product that they never even delivered!
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:33 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Just 3 free isues....

From the language of the collection notices, they consider my signing up as part of a subscription, and that I had already gotten my first 3 issues. They have the gall to insist I owe them!

I quote "In the interest of maintaining your good credit rating with us, please mail payment, so we can clear your account. Once payment has been received, we'll stop sending invoices and reinstate your order for the full term of the offer to which you responded. It is important that we have your prompt cooperation"

Signed by Ned Bixler Circulation Coordinator.

They started trying to collect immediately. Then the language starts ramping up till the last bill where they threatened to lower my credit rating.

Good thing I didnt trust them with my credit card no.

Hopefully, I dont wake up one day with Tony Soprano at the door trying to collect.

I tried to "juzfuhgedabawtit". By the bills just keep on coming.

Hopefully the letter will address this problem as they are starting to make me feel like somebody who is running from creditors.

JT
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Old Apr 19, 2003, 09:03 AM
Where do I glue the smoke
Geneseo NY
Joined Aug 2002
258 Posts
I had the same thing happen when I didn't renew my subscription with them. I did a 1 year sub. and when I didn't renew they started sending me nasty-grams. I just ignored them and they finally stopped. I will never subscribe to anything that company publishes again.
davidmor is offline Find More Posts by davidmor
Old Apr 19, 2003, 01:08 PM
Dallas,TX, USA
Joined Mar 1999
834 Posts
Hi All,
Thanks for the info. Ihave received offers but will stay away from these turkeys!
Dick Huang
Dick Huang is offline Find More Posts by Dick Huang
Old Apr 21, 2003, 08:11 AM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
I buy my magazines at the LHS

Paul
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Apr 21, 2003, 03:58 PM
USA, CA, Orange County
Joined Mar 2002
110 Posts
I'm a new subscriber to both MAN and BYF and have had a few problems with missing issues (nothing an e-mail hasn't cleared up) but so far they haven't pulled any kind of bully-tactic. I guess I'll have to wait and see what they'll try when my subscription ends. I'm waiting for a good laugh.

If it were me, as far as I'm concerned, if I didn't sign anything, they legally cannot hold me responsible and they have no ground to make hits against your credit. It sounds like they meant, "their credit" report...uh-oh...better watch out...Model Airplane News is such a huge threat...LOL.

I'd tell them to go suck an egg.

-DD
Double Dutch is offline Find More Posts by Double Dutch