HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:39 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Discussion
why should I get an updated 5G6/Lama 2?

okay - I'm "on my way" to being able to afford a new helicopter such as a lama v4 or hunter, but I am compelled to ask whether a new metal-head, 2.4GHZ 5G6 is actually a good thing worth buying? I don't understand what the 2.4GHZ advantage is. Does this improve the helicopter's range?

Since I have plastic spare parts for my original 5G6 and they rarely break now I know how to control and crash it right, why would I actually want a 5G6-1 for all that extra money?

I also have the brass pinion motors 5#6, which seem to be reliable.

So - couldn't I simply buy another cheap older plastic model for less than half the money - or would it be better to buy a new 2.4GHZ one for nearly triple the money?

--Give me some advantages you experience from your model. Are they quieter? better in the wind, less twitchy?__
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:16 AM
Joined May 2009
752 Posts
2.4ghz is A LOT less likely to get interference.. My sister has a 40 mhz lama, and it gets servo twitches randomly and even just fell out of the sky once. With my 2.4 ghz lama v4, kestrel and walkera cb180q, I've never had a single twitch, and they don't go nuts either if you turn off the remote before the heli, or power the heli with the remote turned off.
range-wise, either 2.4 ghz or mhz will usually allow the helicopter to be nearly out of sight before the range is exhausted.
Arakon is online now Find More Posts by Arakon
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
First of all, you have to decide where you're going to be flying. The 5G6-1 and Lama 2 are palm size heli's that are more likely to be flown inside, not outside. The Lama 4 is an outside heli as far as I'm concerned because it's just too big for the average size house. That being said, the Lama 4 is a great outdoor heli - with a few modifications. It needs motors that have vents for cooling because all totally enclosed motors run hot. They also need longer servo arms like the ones from a CX2 so you get more throw from the servo movement. Otherwise, it can fly like a brick! The full canopy/ body on heli's can be a PITA. That's why most owners go to a boom on the back side. At least the Lama 4 has pivoting blades. The solid blades on a CX2 have you replacing blades on just about every crash!
The 5G6-1 is one of the best indoor, palm size heli's out there, IMHO. The disadvantage to ALL Walkera palm size heli's is their lousy stock motors. They're cheap to replace, but a PITA just the same. Of the 5G6-1 and the Lama 2, the 5G6-1 is the clear winner. The Lama 2 has the servos and receiver and the motor control stuff all on one board. My son bought a Lama 2 when they came out and the receiver board was junk. He sent it all the way back to Hong Kong, on his own dime ($42!!!!!!!!!!!!) and it came back just as messed up as when he sent it to them!!! He got so fed up with it that he sent it to me. I have it now and it flies, but it isn't as good as the 5G6-1. As far as the older version, the 5G6, parts aren't as readily available as they used to be. The whole gear train is different, so, if you need a new motor, it will come with a different pinion, etc. The 5G6-1 has better servos than a 5G6. That's not me speaking, but the guys who owned both and recommend the 5G6-1 because of it.
So, you see, I have all three of the heli's you've mentioned and my pick is based on where you will be flying. Even though the Lama 4 is an outdoor heli, you have to wait for calm conditions to fly it outside because the wind will affect it a good deal. I also have to warn you that with my experience and those who also have them, you either get a good Walkera and love it or you get a bad one and do nothing but fight with it. Likewise, I've had two 72Mhz transmitters go bad in less than a year, so, there aren't any 72Mhz transmitters in my future. The 2.4Ghz electronics doesn't suffer from the glitching that the older stuff does.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Last edited by kodak_jack; Sep 12, 2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:52 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Thanks guys. It can be confusing so it is best to hear from those with experience. I want an outside windless flyer, but my old 5G6 suffers if you even breathe on it.

The range on my 5G6 seems crud. If it goes higher than 20 feet it starts to spin to the ground, if it goes farther than 30 feet radius, it spins and goes to the ground.

V4 still seems best bet but it is illogical to go for a new rig when I have loads and loads of spares for 5G6.

So, well, I'm used to walkera, used to their parts, got spares, and can handle them, so that was the advantage on that side, and I figured, well - since no heli works in the wind, it doesn't really matter whether it's a micro model or not, as you have to basically wait for stock still windless days.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:36 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbaba
Thanks guys. It can be confusing so it is best to hear from those with experience. I want an outside windless flyer, but my old 5G6 suffers if you even breathe on it.

The range on my 5G6 seems crud. If it goes higher than 20 feet it starts to spin to the ground, if it goes farther than 30 feet radius, it spins and goes to the ground.

V4 still seems best bet but it is illogical to go for a new rig when I have loads and loads of spares for 5G6.

So, well, I'm used to walkera, used to their parts, got spares, and can handle them, so that was the advantage on that side, and I figured, well - since no heli works in the wind, it doesn't really matter whether it's a micro model or not, as you have to basically wait for stock still windless days.
I just bought a used CX2 on Ebay that has the boom, is 2.4Ghz, etc. I'm enjoying it outside, but it won't be an inside heli; it's too big for my house. Your 5G6 would be a good inside heli, but with the electronics you have on it, it doesn't sound like a good outside heli. If you want to move up to FP heli's, there are a world of choices out there. If you want to utilize your 5G6 parts, why not get a 5G6-1? I think you'd like the more stable 2.4Ghz electronics. Don't get me wrong, I fly mine outside; it just needs to be calm or the wind will really mess with it.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:59 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
If you want to utilize your 5G6 parts, why not get a 5G6-1? I think you'd like the more stable 2.4Ghz electronics
Yes, I think that might be a good idea. I might go with that eventually.

I'm guessing the FPs are better outdoor. I had a look at the 4G3, they seem popular, also the buzz flyer.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:10 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbaba
Yes, I think that might be a good idea. I might go with that eventually.

I'm guessing the FPs are better outdoor. I had a look at the 4G3, they seem popular, also the buzz flyer.
The 4G3 is a CP heli - tons of tiny parts and set up on something that small. The big ones are bad enough. The FP heli's are: new HBFP(referred to as Version 2), Eflite msr, Walkera CB100, Walkera CB 180, etc. Again, size determined by where and how you fly.