HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2010, 08:48 AM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Very nice, now heres another one I need to build someday!
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:34 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
video of 2nd flight of Peter Rake Sopwith Pup

heyas,
the wifie cranked up the video camera this arvo and the pup had its 2nd airing.
here is a little video of it in action.

Peter Rake Sopwith Pup, 2nd flight (6 min 37 sec)

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:03 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,626 Posts
Excellent

What an anyone say? A touch of class right there!
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:28 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,421 Posts
Good one Craig - she looks very stable - I too would love to fly off a field like that! Was it a close one with the goal posts on landing or just an optical illusion

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:28 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,431 Posts
Very nice Trumps. The profile in the air looks sensational. And looks like your power set up is perfectly scale.
Your wife is good on the camera too.

What are the bylaws regarding flying on parks and reserves over in the west? If I was to put something up in my local park (electric or otherwise) here in Vic, the local bylaws officer would be down on me like a ton of bricks. I'd love to be able to just nip round to the local oval and have a fly rather than drive for an hour to my clubs field.

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is online now Find More Posts by MerlinV
Last edited by MerlinV; Jun 17, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:31 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,421 Posts
Hugh - I fly my little Powell at a dozen or so parks and sports grounds in Victoria without a problem. I did avoid those 'orrible parks with signs that showed a model plane and a big red cross through it though! Also not in Melbourne or surrounds!

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:35 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
cheers guys,
Pat, i landed about 3-4 meters infront of the goal posts, it is quite a nice little oval, but there must be 10 sets of soccer, and footy goals there being as it is a primary school oval. touch wood i have always managed to thread my way between them, even with the Gee-bee which lands pretty hot. there are about 4 good ovals locally, within 5 minutes from home but tuesday and thursday arvos are always flat out with cricket and in winter footy training so i usually drive around for 10 minutes to find one that is free.
Merlin, the local council rangers have always been great, never had a problem with them, all of my planes are pretty quiet, quite often i have the ranger pull up and come over for a look see, and a chin wag, they have always been great, supportive even! just have to use some common sense regarding what you fly there, how you fly it, and be respectful of other users, well that has worked well for me for the last 4 years anyhow. we seem to have more problems at my club field where edf's and pushers have been banned due to noise complaints and the club has been flying there for about 25years!
the wife is pretty good on the camera these days, it is funny watching the videos at home and listening to her rants and raves that she mumbles when i don't put the plane exactly where she wants it in the air she likes the pup due to its slow and steady nature.
Oh Pat i have seen your fields that you have to fly off of, mate i always thought they were part of an elaborate film set, where you are taking off and landing in no-mans land on the Somme for a new WW1 film You are a braver man than i, there would be wheel pants and undercarts scattered everywhere if i tried to do that LOL.

thanks guys
Craig
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:25 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Had a great morning down at the club, must have got about 20 flights in, with 4 being the pup. One of the guys Mick was good enough to get some more film of Mildred H cruising about.

R/C Sopwith Pup at Yokine reserve (3 min 22 sec)

Cheers
Craig
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:36 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,486 Posts
Love that nice scale take off, climb out and landing. Great job. It's good to see a WWI type NOT flying like an F-16 on steroids.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:42 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers Larry,
i feel the same way myself, why build something that is ment to look scale if it then goes on to fly like an X-wing fighter! no starwars planes for me

Craig
Old Aug 01, 2010, 09:12 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
some pics 01/08/2010

had a fantastic morning down at the club, must have got about 20 flights in, 4 or 5 with the pup, she would have about 25 flights on her now, still flying like a dream, only drama so far has been one of the wheel bushes broke free and spun in the wheel enlarging the hole slightly. a bit of ca to harden the surrounding wood and epoxy to remount the bushing sorted that out.
Arlo took some great shots today which i thought i would pin up, cheers mate!
really must get my butt into gear and put a pilot in her, probably just a little depron profile dude to wave at the camera as he flys by

Cheers
Craig
Old Aug 01, 2010, 10:39 AM
Perth. Western Australia
Joined Jul 2010
108 Posts
yea she could do with a pilot looks a bit bare without one,remember no ray ban's you'll want to keep weight down.

wayne
fearlessfly is offline Find More Posts by fearlessfly
Old Aug 01, 2010, 12:50 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
WOW, those videos are great and some mighty fine flying to boot!
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:26 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
allo gov, yer got a new mota?

a bit over a month ago the motor (dummy ) threw a leg out of bed, well pretty much all of them really. one of the sick on weights inside my cowl came slightly loose and was collected by the cylinders. i was never totally happy with the mounting of the original so figured it was time to come up with something a little better.
the photos pretty much show what i came up with, i only used one half of the Manzano dummy motor crankcase, i laminated 2 pieces of 0.5mm balsa sheet cross grain for the back of the motor, and rolled a strip around the bell to get a good sturdy mount. it all fits together very snug and having run it up i don't think there is any need for me to glue the whole shebang to the bell, works very nicely so far.

cheers
craig
Last edited by trumps; Sep 26, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:37 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,375 Posts
My first one was stationary and I used only the front half. Forgot about that when I did my rotating version. For the M-S AI rebuild i will follow your example.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb