Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:37 AM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Discussion
Jet Joe Jr on a Stryker foamie

Subscribers to my YouTube channel will have already seen the Stryker powered by an expensive Lambert turbine but now I've got video of the same airframe fitted with one of the Jet Joe Jr turbines (4lbs thrust). One third the price of the Lambert by the way :-)

Stryker RC plane powered by Jet Joe Jr turbine (2 min 21 sec)
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:57 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
23,936 Posts
Nice

Did she flame-out, or just run out of juice?

How are you finding your JJ? I have a JJ3000. It's still only on a 'test bench' while I build the aircraft. I get a buzz just out of starting the thing up every now and then (a loooong way to go on the plane build yet)

The JJ's cop a fair bagging around the traps, but I think they represent good value for money. Sure, they can be a bit fiddly to set up - but the problems I encountered were to do with the way I had it set up rather than anything wrong with the Turbine/electronics themselves.

Your Stryker looks like a hoot to fly...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Sep 13, 2009, 02:39 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,853 Posts
Hi,
I am buying a DH-100 Vampire from VASAModel in CZ Republic. It is fully molded and it comes with a 65Fan. But I am thinking JetJoe's miniture trubin might be an excellent candidate for it and with hand lunch no landing gears. Jsut wondering how reliable this little thing. Thanks
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:53 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Well the engine in that video "lunched" its hearings the next day (I'll be posting another video of the last flight).

It may have just been bad luck -- or it might be why these are half the price of a Lambert :-)

I don't know and it would be unfair to speculate until more folks have flown these little Chinese turbines.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:53 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,853 Posts
some other posts indicated JetJoe turbines require some "special massage" - setting by someone in the US for a fee and after that it runs good. somewhere also mentioned oil system had something to do with as well. Please keep us informed of the situation before I jump on one since I am no good tuning turbins. Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:40 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
23,936 Posts
Ok LifeIsGood - I have recently bought a JJ3000 to learn a bit about RC Turbines, and this is what I've learnt re JetJoes so far:

The "special massage" you refer to is not a bad idea. I can't tell from your profile where you're from, but I do know that down here in Australia we have several Jet Joe reps I can send my Turbine to for one of these "massages". I'm sure other countries have equally capable blokes to do the job. Basically, they'll pull the Turbine down, check the balance of the compressor/shaft/turbine and make sure everything is where it should be, then lock everything down and put it back together again.

Jet Joe's 'quality control' ain't known to be the best in the business, and I've read on other threads that sometimes simple things such as ensuring the compressor wheel is done up properly may get overlooked. If that comes apart at 100K rpm +, it won't end well. Or if the main shaft is out of balance, and it'll eat the bearings pretty quickly. Or the compressor wheel may foul on the cowling and grind part of it away etc.

Earlier stuff had electronic glitches in the FADEC etc, but I think that's more or less covered these days.

I guess you have two basic choices here - opt for a Jet Joe knowing that you are buying something at a huge discount, but be prepared for the odd glitch here and there. Sending your Turbine to a reputable Dealer, or buying one through them to start with should ensure you're getting something that's been checked over a bit more thoroughly than from what ships ex-China.

While each Turbine is test-fired before it leaves the JJ factory, I'm not all that sure what that entails apart from running her up to see she starts, then putting it in a box and shipping it out. Having a Dealer pre-service it for you is probably good insurance - may cost a few more dollars that way, but you're still going to end up miles in front on price.

Or, you can save up close to double the money and buy a Turbine from someone else.

Like I said before, I bought my JJ3000 to learn about Turbines and have some fun firing it up every now and then while I build the aircraft I want to put it (and a second JJ3000) into. From everything I've picked up so far, I'm pretty sure that I will whizz my Turbine off to one of our local Dealers down here to give it the once-over before I put it into my plane. Just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:04 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,853 Posts
Thanks BJ. I live in the San Francisco area and now a day no place to fly turbin that is why I am thinking about the little thing with hand lunch. But on the other hand, I don't have huge place to run the turbin resulting neighbors may complain about, etc. I think I might as well just wait. No, I don't want to go through the fuz for a $1,500 turbin that requires others' attention and don't know how much more I need to spend on. For now, just stay with the F5D planes. Thanks again.