HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:36 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,404 Posts
Discussion
Attention Blaster2 Owners!

Edit: Be sure to look at post #20 for another great mod to help increase launch height!

Recently I have gone through a period of wondering what happened to my throw? When I first started flying the Blaster2 I was amazed at how straight and high it could be thrown but lately the throws have been anywhere from 10 to 20 feet less high and almost always turning over to the left. (I am a right handed thrower.)

Most of you would have checked the condition of the rudder much sooner than I did. With a quick glance the rudder appeared to be fine. A closer look found that the rudder skin along the hinge line was delaminating from the foam core of the vertical stabilizer. This was allowing the rudder surface to move under pressure and I think this may be the root cause of the recent throwing issues.

I have three Blaster2's and they have all been flown in strong winds. I can only assume that the extra force added by throwing in the extra 15 to 20 mph winds helped to delaminate these rudders before they normally would have in light wind conditions.

To my surprise, they all had about the same amount of separation. Approximately 1/8" to 3/16" along the front of the hinge line.

rcgeorge had already fixed a couple and told me how to fix them.

First, remove the push-rod or other device used to connect the servo to the rudder horn.

Second, bend the rudder at minimum 90 degrees (or more) to expose the rear of the vertical stabilizer and the separated rudder skin.

Third, make sure there are no foreign objects such as dirt or chunks of foam between the loose skin and the foam core.

Fourth, use foam safe thin CA to glue the skin back onto the foam core. Wipe of any excess and beware that the skin may be porous along the hinge line so you may have thin CA on the outside of the rudder skin.

Fifth, hold the front of the rudder over to the right to tighten the skin along the separated area and wait for it to dry.

Sixth, verify that the fix was successful and there is no more delamination.

Seventh, reconnect push-rod or other connection used to operate the rudder.

Go fly....

I am excited to find that there might actually be a reason why I was having throwing issues lately so I will be testing each of my Blaster2's tomorrow to see if the problem really is solved. If so I will also see if the fix will handle repeated throws. My lack of an update to this thread means that the problem was indeed solved.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Last edited by cptsnoopy; Jan 14, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:59 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Jun 2006
724 Posts
rudder hinge problem

I am using pull-pull on my Blaster 2 rudder. I did so initially without modifying the rudder hinge. The line tension eventually caused the rudder hinge to buckle. I then cut the hinge off, beveled the LE of the rudder and reattached with my favorite hinge tape. Everything is now solid. The same mod would work on the delam and is probably a more permanent fix.

Dick
DProseus is online now Find More Posts by DProseus
Last edited by DProseus; Sep 13, 2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:59 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,404 Posts
Thanks for the input Dick, if these delam again I will try that.

Charlie
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:44 PM
He bowls overhand
Falcon, Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,558 Posts
Interesting. If there is room on the hingeline where the core is cut back, you could possibly run some light glass on the inside of the hinge to "face" around the Rohacell.
gl,
Jim
threcixty is offline Find More Posts by threcixty
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:47 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Thanks Charlie for the heads up...I will check my rudder hinge line for a possible delam....
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Sep 12, 2009, 03:42 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Ok Charlie...checked the rudder and sure enough it has a delam! Recently, I also had to add a right rudder preset.Each session a tiny bit more. I thought I was just hooking more on my throw. I just did the fix per your instructions. The rudder is very stiff now. Anxious to try it out tomorrow. These DLgs are like the F3K rules...learn something new everyday!!
Thanks!!
-Dave
Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:37 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,137 Posts
Yea, I checked mine this morning. It had worked it's self loose

A bit of glue, some wax paper to keep things from sticking where I didn't want it, and dang it. It made a difference
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:38 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,404 Posts
Thanks Jim, another good idea!

Dave, you will be happy with the results, I took my original Blaster out with the fixed rudder and she launches straight, just like new! I am very pleased that this was not my throwing technique going wrong... Now, how long will the repair last? I will keep banging away with the Blaster2's and report back if it fails again. Today's conditions were gusty and windy with some really high throws so the beating has already begun. So far it is holding up ok.

Charlie
Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:27 AM
Joined Jul 2008
659 Posts
Just checked mine, perhaps the very beginnings of one but nothing I need to fix yet, thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep an eye on it now!
AndrewBurns is offline Find More Posts by AndrewBurns
Old Sep 13, 2009, 01:32 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Yeah..took mine out today in windy weather....Launching like it's brand new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Charlie!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 06:16 AM
Don't worry about it!
Raleigh NC
Joined May 2008
1,368 Posts
If it happens again, you guys might want to try facing the vertical stab?

Or maybe a different type of hinge?

I saw a picture of a type of tape hinge a while back where the tape wrapped around both sides of the surface the control surface was mounted on. (if that makes sense...)

Jon
j.m. is offline Find More Posts by j.m.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:55 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Just checked mine

Thanks for the word! Just checked mine and sure enough a 1mm split just slight, but beginning. Gonna do your trick for sure. Even though it's a bit more weight in the tail, I'm all for the through bolted horns with the little back plate on the other side:: never fails. Gonna do that as well.

Doug
Douglas Tarr is offline Find More Posts by Douglas Tarr
Old Sep 15, 2009, 07:18 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
Since these layups are light, you may wish to go ahead and "CA soak" the rohacell before the delam starts. I tend to do this on baggers as well where I think a delam may pop up.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:01 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004
Since these layups are light, you may wish to go ahead and "CA soak" the rohacell before the delam starts. I tend to do this on baggers as well where I think a delam may pop up.
That has been mentioned locally here also. I think that would help if not prevent the problem all together.

Charlie
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:21 AM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,697 Posts
For a right hand throw, I think the hinges should have been cut on the other side... To me it just look wrong to cut the hinges on the right, so when you throw right hand, the rudder get push left, causing the delam.

However, I keep on seeing almost all DLG rudder are cut on the right? Anyone know why they do this?

On my tiny Blaster, we use the elevator as the rudder and cut the hinge on the left and it work great for a right thrower.

35.00 for a rudder (maybe this is why.... + 1 hour of labor )
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak