Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:08 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Discussion
mat advice- 1947 Dumas 19' Chris Craft Utility

Hi Guys,
I am building a 1947 Dumas 19' Chris Craft Utility and would like to improve look of the rubber floor mat in the front cockpit. From the look of the instructions the mat seems to be plain black rubber with a silver surround.
(I found a photo the internet)

What I'd like to do is print a decal of something a little more interesting.

Do any of you with ref to old Chris Craft books or with a keen eye to the Chris Craft sense of styling, think any of these designs might work.
Or are they too flashy and I should just keep to the plain black mat?

Appreciate any feed back!
Cheers
Russell
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:50 AM
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
I vote for number 5! (I also vote that you send me one for my 16' Hydro )
xraycajun is offline Find More Posts by xraycajun
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:19 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,064 Posts
I used a sheet of textured Evergreen plastic, painted flat black, and framed it with the chrome tape Dumas supplied with the kit.

woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Sep 12, 2009, 05:30 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,707 Posts
RUSSELL TATE- I know that Having the Chris Craft logo in your floor mat make it look sexy, but Chris Craft never, never did anything like that in any of their boats. Usually they used standard rubber matting used by most of the boat companies.

Their a two ways to get matting that looks true scale. On e way is to use Evergreen or Plastistruct plastic sheeting called metal roofing. It comes in different scales and when cut and glued down, then painted with textured flat black paint, looks like the real deal.

Second way to make textured rubber matting is to go to the local marine boat supply house and get the non-skid, self stick patches or roll. It comes in both black and white, and when trimmed out with chrome tape, looks perferct.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:42 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,064 Posts
The real stuff looked like this,
Old Sep 12, 2009, 07:36 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,707 Posts
WOODY BOB- You have got it. The V- ribbed rubber mat is what a lot of the manufacturers used.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Sep 13, 2009, 07:58 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,064 Posts
I had these made at a rubber stamp outfit. I bet they can produce some sort of floor mat for you. Provide the artwork and you'll pay less. These are step plate pads, but I'm sure it's just a matter of overall dimensions.

Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:51 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob
I had these made at a rubber stamp outfit. I bet they can produce some sort of floor mat for you. Provide the artwork and you'll pay less. These are step plate pads, but I'm sure it's just a matter of overall dimensions.[/font]
]
Wow, those ROCK! Never thought of a Rubber stamp?
Have to say the step plates supplied with the kit do look a bit heavy and obtrusive with the way they sit so proud.
Those look really nice and subtly detailed too!

With the mat i might run off a couple of decals of #5 and see how they look, If they are too showy I might go the rubber mat, route.

thanks for your input fellers!

RT
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate