Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:55 PM
Molalla, OR
Joined May 2008
17 Posts
Discussion
Range issues with Spektrum DX7

Help me out here guys. I bought a Parkzone Radian for my son. It was the RTF version with the AR500 already installed. I failed to range check (DUH!!!) before the first flight and the radio locked out within 50 feet of launching it. Crash.
Brought it home repaired the light damage and decided to range check. It failed miserably, 12 paces.
Bound the AR500 to my DX6i and I actually got to 60 paces and it was still working.
So I tried a range check with another plane that has an AR6100. Again it failed with the DX7 and was fine with the DX6i.
I sent the DX7 to Spektrum, and after having if for 5 WEEKS, they sent it back and said there is nothing wrong with it.
So I fiddle with positioning on the plane with the AR6100 and can barely get it to range check OK. But the Radian with the AR500 still wont pass.
Purchase and install an AR6100 into the Radian. SAME DANG THING!!! Wont pass the range check, but I can get to 21 paces now.
What am I missing??? What do you guys think? Could it be the ESC not providing sufficent voltage? I will check that in the mean time. Any help would be much appreciated.
jc9995 is offline Find More Posts by jc9995
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:33 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
I've seen this before. Probably you've got a bad crimp or cable in the transmitter antenna. Simple solution... replace it, all the way back to the RF board.

Do be very, very careful with the little U.Fl connector on the RF board, they are extremely fragile. Pull the old one STRAIGHT off, do not lever it, and be very careful to put the new one on straight. Unfortunately, the insertion force is so high you'll destroy it if you don't get it properly aligned. Or, send it back and get Spektrum to do it, they have the special tools that make it much easier and safer.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Sep 12, 2009, 05:33 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9995
So I tried a range check with another plane that has an AR6100. Again it failed with the DX7 and was fine with the DX6i.
Could it be the ESC not providing sufficent voltage? I will check that in the mean time. Any help would be much appreciated.
Any time you have a problem where the receiver works with one transmitter and not another, you should look to the transmitter for the fix.

It's certainly NOT the ESC. The receiver either works or it doesn't. It doesn't give longer range at higher voltage.

Can you test by binding your transmitter to someone else's radio and doing a range check. That would be the clincher if their transmitter gave full range and yours didn't.

I suggest phoning or emailing Horizon service. I have found them very helpful if you explain your problem clearly.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:19 PM
Molalla, OR
Joined May 2008
17 Posts
I agree with both of you.... however Spektrum Tech support claims they put it on the bench, and it range checked just fine. They state there is no issue with the TX.... but it has failed on 5 different RX's, and my DX6i passes on all of them. I agree, its the TX.... how do I get Spektrum to see it this way???
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:23 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Find someone with a WiFi spectrum analyser (needs to be one of the ones that can measure interference strength), take along your DX6i and DX7 and measure the signal strength at some particular distance. If it's different, there's something wrong.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:32 PM
Molalla, OR
Joined May 2008
17 Posts
Well, Its on its way back to Horizon.....
I bought another DX7 from my LHS.... it range checks fine. So well see what HH says. Thanks for the help.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:45 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,946 Posts
I think you'll find Horizon does the right thing in the end. Once they are convinced there's a problem, they do try to make it right.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66