HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2009, 10:26 AM
Northern VA
Joined Apr 2006
90 Posts
Hi FF,

Last Sunday was windy. 15 MPH wind sock sticking straight out and gusts in the 20 mph range. I flew the AVA with a buddy who was flying a glass Supra.

The AVA was getting bounced around more, but penetration was not a problem. I was able to follow the Supra around fine. This was with the lighter 3C pack for ballast. The heaver pack was not needed.

That said, I wont fly it in conditions like that again, if for no other reason than wet towels where needed to keep it on the ground, and the thermals get so broken up they are well above my skill level to utilize with out a guide.

I think the penetration reputation tagged to AVAs most likely came from un ballasted pure glider AVAs in the 40oz range. The AVA-Es in the 60oz range are quite a bit heaver. Additionally the Pro versions have less drag and penetrate even better.

Best,

Branwell
branwell is offline Find More Posts by branwell
Last edited by branwell; Oct 02, 2009 at 10:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:00 PM
Terre Haute, Indiana, USA
Joined Aug 2004
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branwell
...Last Sunday was windy. 15 MPH wind sock sticking straight out and gusts in the 20 mph range. I flew the AVA with a buddy who was flying a glass Supra.

The AVA was getting bounced around more, but penetration was not a problem. I was able to follow the Supra around fine. This was with the lighter 3C pack for ballast. ....
That high-wind performance seems pretty good! And it suggests that your 4M AVA could benefit quite a bit, on a calm day, from being substantially lighter, if that can be managed. Seems like you would need a different power system to do so??

FF
Forest Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Forest Flyer
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:27 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Flyer
And it suggests that your 4M AVA could benefit quite a bit, on a calm day, from being substantially lighter
I have been competition flying my heavy 59oz Super AVA-e against lighter AVAs all year, and beating them, even on calm days. Although the min sink of a lighter AVA may be a tiny amount lower, the wider speed range (and maybe crisper handling?) of the heavier model seems to more than compensate for this.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Last edited by Neil Stainton; Oct 02, 2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:42 PM
Joined Aug 2004
959 Posts
That is interesting, Neil. And scaling-things up a bit from your Super AVA, it sounds like 65 oz might be a good operational AUW for the 4M AVA.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 04:15 PM
Northern VA
Joined Apr 2006
90 Posts
Hi FF,

Would the 4M AVA be better lighter?

In super light lift with little wind, probably, but as Neil mentioned, its pretty good with a little weight on board and had a wider flight envelope.

B
Old Oct 02, 2009, 07:33 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Thanks for posting those great flying shots. What state are you in ? It's not on your user info. Looks very nice there.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 08:57 PM
Northern VA
Joined Apr 2006
90 Posts
Northern VA Bob. About 1.5 hours west of DC.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 10:07 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
That's very pretty back there. I've seen it on the travel channel.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2009, 07:48 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,517 Posts
Thanks for the beautiful pictures..
What an amazing sailplane..and it does it all with RES
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Oct 04, 2009, 07:28 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
I think the penetration reputation tagged to AVAs most likely came from un ballasted pure glider AVAs in the 40oz range. The AVA-Es in the 60oz range are quite a bit heaver.
My AVA-E is 52oz..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:31 PM
Northern VA
Joined Apr 2006
90 Posts
Now Andy. Your AVA must be Spayshal
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:46 PM
Northern VA
Joined Apr 2006
90 Posts
Todays changes included swapping out the 3 cell A123 pack for a Hyperion G3 3300 3C Lipo.

I remounted the motor so the speed controller would mount on the fuse side to allow more depth so the hatch can close.

The Hyperion weighs almost exactly the same as the A123, has 1000ma more capacity, and a heck of a lot more current.

How much more current?

Well on the 4th jaw dropping climb, I heard something akin to a gun shot, and the climb came to an abrupt halt.

Upon landing, I discovered one of the blades of the Aero Naut 16-10 prop, not liking the Hackers new found grunt, had departed for warmer clines. ( little bastard didn't take me with it )

The resulting vibration was enough to dislodge the hatch ( luckily held on with a rubber band ) and disconnect the battery.

I have an RF 17-10 that is somewhat tougher. Will give that a go.

Branwell
Last edited by branwell; Oct 05, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:52 PM
Northern VA
Joined Apr 2006
90 Posts
Another change I made today was to mount the antennas for the 2.4 radio externally.

Yesterday while flying at the limit of my sight, I felt like I was loosing control intermittently. Admittedly, it was windy and choppy and the plane might have been caught in some sort of saver high altitude turbulence, but.......

Branwell
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:19 PM
Joined Aug 2004
959 Posts
Quote:
....The resulting vibration was enough to dislodge the hatch ( luckily held on with a rubber band ) and disconnect the battery....
Well, that could have been much worse! I am surprised that the nose is still intact. No doubt that the fist few flights are always the most perilous for a new plane.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:23 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,517 Posts
branwell,
I had fits with my AR6250 rx antenna under the wing like yours, on my 2m Poly Pulsar. Hold light flashing all the time after a flight. Perhaps with the carbon fibre D wing "box" or CF servo cover nearby, had glitching from time to time, on this setup.

Later I moved antenna back further on the fuselage, and angled downward almost at 90 degree to each other. No more glitching, or hold light flashing. Flew two flights today, pretty far away and high.
Of course you can check this out with a data logger. I just have the internal "hold" light to warn me of trouble. And I don't have your remote either.

just an idea, ray
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Oct 08, 2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added one picture of antenna