HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2003, 01:17 PM
Mmmm... crunchy balsa.
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Sep 2002
490 Posts
At first, I thought my new Razor 2500a was good...

Okay, I actually thought it was amazing. Then I pulled a "Lawnmower Man" with my MiniFlash on takeoff. The prop caught the very short-cut grass. Clearly my fault. I checked the controls and everything looked okay. So I hand-launched her. After about 30 seconds, I completely lost power. So I landed the plane and discovered that the pinion was slipping on the shaft. (I know that sound, as I've seen it happen to a few Hackers that have similar Maxon gearboxes.) The motor revs, prop-no-spin.

I called Matthew at Razor. Told him exactly what happened, and ask what I should do. He said, "Oh that's MY FAULT. I machined the pinion to tight onto the shaft, so there wasn't enough loctite. I need to open it up another 1/1000th or so to allow for more loctite." "Send it back and I'll take care of it... no charge."

I was completely dumbfounded. Here is this guy, new company, excellent product... and now he's taking ownership of a problem I feel that I caused!?!? If I sounded like Razor cheerleader in my other posts, now I'm a complete Razor religous zealot.

So, if anybody is thinking of buying a Hacker B20-15L, all I can say is, "Why the heck would you?!?" Get a 2500a from Razor and you will not only be bowled over by the performance, but their customer service is apparently unmatched in this department. (motor service, that is)

Matthew - Thanks for being so forthcoming and making my week!

cheers,
-Harry
harryo is offline Find More Posts by harryo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2003, 02:09 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Man, don't post stuff like that. I already own one razor and since buying it have been doing everything I can to convince my self that I DON'T need a 2500A. Posts like yours are NOT helping my wallet out..

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Apr 18, 2003, 02:36 PM
Head...Paper...Now!
Valley Village, California, United States
Joined Mar 2002
1,264 Posts
To late for me.

I've got a 2500 on order. I'm going to try it with a GWS EPS GB. Not sure what ratio yet.

-John-
JFGrn is offline Find More Posts by JFGrn
Old Apr 18, 2003, 02:53 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,020 Posts
Thanks Harry, ya just pushed me over the teeter point.

Now then, you Razor owners, which razor motor for my Sokol ?

My Sokol history started w/ an Astro 010 and 10-720 nickels, which was truly a joy, but I wanted more.
So I drop a 16/15/3 in it on 9 HE cells. This is too much, I almost need 1 gal of coffee to fly it.

Suggestions ?
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Apr 18, 2003, 03:15 PM
Mmmm... crunchy balsa.
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Sep 2002
490 Posts
I just got off the phone with Matthew again,

Great guy... The new 2500a will have a different shaft metal (M2 or something, the kind used in Bucknives... cool, very strong!) and a slightly larger glueseam for the pinion. He's only had about 3 out of about 50 that this happened to. Pretty darn good track record, considering there are guys like me out there whacking these things around. I was also pleased to hear that Matthew, the guy from Maxon, Astro Bob and a few others are in regular communication about these and other issues regarding the manufacture of these motors. That's good business sense and great news! I like hearing that the manufacturers are working together nicely.

-=h=-
harryo is offline Find More Posts by harryo