HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:38 AM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
261 Posts
Quote:
I also suggest taking a puller with you to the field when you fly so you can pull the hub off of the engine in case you get string wound up in it.
A battery terminal lifter works very well and is quite a bit cheaper than a gear puller. I also found out the hard way that I needed one in my box.
gsjames is offline Find More Posts by gsjames
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:31 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Rules state string leader will be at least 5 feet long when attached. We cut ours to 6 feet.

And yes, the BattleAxe needs a bit more tail. I have two more kits waiting to be build, plus my current airframe needs a new tail, I an going to expand the tail. Thanks for the dimensions.

Even without a streamer, in a dive the thing wags.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:42 AM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Rules state string leader will be at least 5 feet long when attached. We cut ours to 6 feet.
We don't bother to actually "cut" them around North Texas. We just pull off two full "arm spans" of string and tie it to the streamer. That way it's slightly longer than that required by the rules and nobody actually has to sit around measuring string.

In CL Combat, the Houston boys have a neat little device to make cutting the string to length easier. String length is more critical in CL Combat. They made a stand wherein a piece of 1 x 6 is held erect by some legs and there is a big notch cut in the top. At varying distances down the board, (depending on the event being flown) dowel rods are drilled and inserted in the board. The roll of string is wrapped around and around the top notch and the appropriate dowel rod. Then the string is secured to the board with rubber bands so the string doesn't slip off and then the entire bunch of string is cut at the lower dowel rod. This leaves many individual lengths of string, each pre-cut to the appropriate length. The competitor just comes up to the string tree and takes what he needs. It works well and saves the CD a lot of pre-contest prep time.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:55 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Well, that's how we measure also, but only one arm span. And for short people a bit more.

Local guy showedus a fast way to measure and cut streamers. Lay out 15 feet from fence pole. Run streamer material from mark around pole to mark. Put tape on streamer by the roll, hook up other end to winder (cordless drill) and wind until the tape gets there. Tear, move tape back by roll and wind another one. You can wind an entire roll of streamer material in minutes.
Old Dec 03, 2009, 01:16 PM
Joined Sep 2006
418 Posts
I buy my streamer material at the local party shop, and set up one of my dining room chairs 15' away and suspend the roll on a dowel uderneath my chair. I loop the mateial over the chair rail and then insert the streamer in a slotted dowel in my drill. I use a strip of tape to mark my end, then run the drill until the tape gets back to me. I use that piece of tape to secure the end. Once I have a bag full of streamers, I go out to my band saw and cut down the 2" wide rolls to 1", saves a lot of time rolling. In one evening I can get a whole seasons worth of streamers rolled.

Ed
txcombatguy is offline Find More Posts by txcombatguy
Old Dec 03, 2009, 07:49 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
That's what I was saying.
Old Dec 03, 2009, 11:01 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcombatguy View Post
I buy my streamer material at the local party shop, and set up one of my dining room chairs 15' away and suspend the roll on a dowel uderneath my chair. I loop the mateial over the chair rail and then insert the streamer in a slotted dowel in my drill. I use a strip of tape to mark my end, then run the drill until the tape gets back to me. I use that piece of tape to secure the end. Once I have a bag full of streamers, I go out to my band saw and cut down the 2" wide rolls to 1", saves a lot of time rolling. In one evening I can get a whole seasons worth of streamers rolled.

Ed
So the streamers are 30 feet long plus the leader ?
(I should read details in the rules I guess, but too busy building)
Martin
PLMS is online now Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Dec 04, 2009, 07:53 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Yes.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:36 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Spent part of the weekend building 3 new wings and two new fuselages from a locally produced kit for the BattleAxe.

I had to order some throttle servos. I ran out (I use HS-56s), and the one on my existing airplane was SMASHED from the last midair.

I cut the vertical tails 1 inch taller and added 1 inch to the trailing edge.

Getting ready for next season.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:21 AM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
We fly combat wings around these parts and I'm happy to make the plans available if anyone wants them.

They're polystyrene cores with a plywood engine mount through the middle, some coreflute tips, balsa elevons and a little fiberglass along the leading edge.

Engines are anything from .25 to .32 and we use 10m (31 foot) streamers.

Stacks of fun and *very* tough. The weekend before, mine went in from about 100 feet with a failed elevon servo. It bounced six feet into the air. The only damage was a broken prop.

RC combat with nitro-powered foam wings at Tokoroa (4 min 58 sec)
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:34 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,682 Posts
Reapers first combat

We did our first combat at the club today with the model you guys helped us design and build. Thank you to all involved.

I think we had five or six models in the first session. A few mishaps. One models Spektrum receiver went off air and the model ground looped after take-off. The airframe was just a little bent but not broken, wing was fine, fin was ripped off but replaceable of course.
Another decked his intentionally to stop from flying through the pits, a small loss of orientation caused that to be necessary unfortunately. Broke his carby off the ASP, but again the airframe fared OK, with the wing box popped apart and some bending in the rails. It will fly again soon.

No mid-airs, and a couple of ribbon cuts.

The bluefoam core wings with three dowel spars are proving to be very tough. I think we built them with more tape than you SSC guys would have, and they are a little heavier. We've settled on .19 engines with 8x5 MAS props for our club use.

Hopefully I can get some picture of it to show when I see our club photographer.

Cheers,
Martin
PS. Nice combat wings Bruce. Quite a fur-ball with just two models in the air.
PLMS is online now Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Dec 12, 2009, 07:31 AM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
261 Posts
Martin:

Did you guys use "sticky stuff" on your leading edges? It's legal by the RCCA/AMA rules here in the US and it makes for higher scoring and more exciting rounds. We generally use either double sided carpet tape or "Tanglefoot" bird repellent (over a piece of painters tape on the LE). Without it, all you'll get is prop cuts and they are pretty rare.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:59 PM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
261 Posts
Xjet: I'd be interested in seeing how you attach your engines. It might be a better way than the way I'm doing it on my Cobras. Gary
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:10 AM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
I can't see how your engine is attached from that picture but basically I cut my wing cores in two halves (left and right) then glue them to a plywood center-rib that extends forwards with a cut-out for the engine.

Some glass cloth and epoxy resin is then added to the center-section, effectively making a *very* strong wing. I also run a small strip of carbon roving along the leading edge and a strip of glass cloth (4" wide, wrapped around the leading edge so there's 2" top and bottom) and epoxy that in place. This creates an extremely light but rigid wing that really is impossible to break.

One of our guys got disoriented and dived his wing into the roof of a full-sized aircraft hangar at full throttle. It punched a very nice hole right through but all it did was break the prop and slightly crack the plywood motor mount. A new prop, a bit of thin CA and he was back in the air minutes later.

It took about an hour to rivet some new iron over the rather large hole in the hangar roof though ;-(

___
RCModelReviews.com is giving away free RC products after they've been reviewed. Visit the site for details.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Jun 03, 2010, 07:23 AM
Australia, SA, Morphett Vale
Joined Oct 2004
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
We did our first combat at the club today with the model you guys helped us design and build. Thank you to all involved.

I think we had five or six models in the first session. A few mishaps. One models Spektrum receiver went off air and the model ground looped after take-off. The airframe was just a little bent but not broken, wing was fine, fin was ripped off but replaceable of course.
Another decked his intentionally to stop from flying through the pits, a small loss of orientation caused that to be necessary unfortunately. Broke his carby off the ASP, but again the airframe fared OK, with the wing box popped apart and some bending in the rails. It will fly again soon.

No mid-airs, and a couple of ribbon cuts.

The bluefoam core wings with three dowel spars are proving to be very tough. I think we built them with more tape than you SSC guys would have, and they are a little heavier. We've settled on .19 engines with 8x5 MAS props for our club use.

Hopefully I can get some picture of it to show when I see our club photographer.

Cheers,
Martin
PS. Nice combat wings Bruce. Quite a fur-ball with just two models in the air.
What club in Adelaide does combat?
Desert flier is online now Find More Posts by Desert flier