Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:22 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Question
Point me out to some DIY SSC plans ?

Hi guys,

I suspect that there is a few plans for what I'm thinking of already lurking in the forum, but the search tool is not being particularly helpful today.

I'm looking to help get a bunch of the guys at our model club interested in combat. The SSC with 0.15 glow or equivalent electric looks like a proven way to go from what I see discussed here and elsewhere.

Can anybody point me out to what they consider to be reasonable quality DIY plans, to hotwire cut SSC wings out of Bluecor foam preferably ?

We have a local guy with a CNC cutter who could do it for us if we have the drawings. Most of our club guys prefer to build rather than buy kits..

Any other pointers of where to find more info on building SSC will be appreciated too.

Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2009, 07:13 AM
central CA
Joined Aug 2002
348 Posts
there is some stuff on www.rccombat.com not much in the way of plans though. there is also some coroplast designs out there. basicly its the Battle axe, avenger and falcon and in coro, the mig 3 and a few new planes I have seen, semi scale types
draftman1 is offline Find More Posts by draftman1
Old Sep 11, 2009, 07:28 AM
Shelby Township, MI
Joined Feb 2002
76 Posts
roll your own

there are some SPAD plans out there that will be fine for club combat. our very first SSC plane was a SPAD dogfighter, which is 4 mil on the bottom and 2 mil on top. you can make the fuse lighter by using folded coro instead of gutter pipe, but keep in mind the SSC minimum weight (2.5 pounds), which, if you are doing club-combat, you could reduce. The dogfighter or other spads will fly better on a 15 as light as you can get them....the dogfighter on a 15 was a fun plane and flew fine but would in no way compete with a more modern SSC design.

look at the battle axe avenger B2+ from teamsharnell or the phencepost from hattrickrc.com for reasonably priced kits, if you want to roll you own you can draw design inspiration from those.

a suggestion for a very easy to build SSC plane would be Clark Y-H section of 64 inch span, straight LE with tapered TE, pick your root and tip chords as convenient to get you to around 600 sq ins. 25 pound foam will be adequate, 40 pound is more durable but will add 2-3 ounces. the flat bottom will make it very easy to mount to either a flat bat, or a piece of phencepost (plastic fence post for electric fences, get at Tractor Supply or similar). Use 1/8 inch f/glass rods for spars top and bottom, and cover with packing tape. Use coro from old signs for tail surfaces, screwed to the phencepost or glued to the flat bat.
sgilkey is offline Find More Posts by sgilkey
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:16 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Thanks for those suggestions, and I have question.
Firstly though, 2mm corro is virtually unobtainable here in Adelaide unless I have it posted in from elsewhere, and it gets too expensive to do that IMHO. Sign writers here seem to have 3mm and 4mm only. So I'm not really looking for Corro designs, unless the wing can be converted to blue foam core.

The clark Y airfoil is flat bottomed from what you said, it that a good thing for a combat model ?

I like to spent a lot of time inverted to put other guys off, I'd like a wing that will bunt as well as it loops if possible. I had imagined that a semi symmetric or full symmetric would be what most guys used (in a foam wing).
Old Oct 18, 2009, 03:38 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Battle Axe

Hey does anyone know the wingspan of the Battle Axe SSC model ?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 08:41 AM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS
Hey does anyone know the wingspan of the Battle Axe SSC model ?
60 inches Almost everyone is at 60-64". The 60" planes tend to roll a little quicker, but the 64" planes fit the 4' x 8' Dow "Square Edge" foam blocks without cutting them down and the "occasionally" get an extra cut from the 4" additional span.

The theoretical wing area of a Battle Axe is 495 sq in. I'm going to make mine a little bigger for next year. 550-575 or so.

Listen to Gilkey, he knows what he is talking about. He is also full of "smack talk" but that's part of the FUN of combat!
gsjames is offline Find More Posts by gsjames
Last edited by gsjames; Oct 18, 2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:47 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Hmm.. I like the advice about the wing area. I can start to see my way to cutting a core soon.
If I may be so bold what is your tip on an approximate root chord and tip chord in a 64" span ?

Thanks,
Martin
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:46 PM
East Tennessee
Joined Nov 2007
148 Posts
If I remember correctly,

Battle Axe : Span 60", Root 10", Tip 6.5", Aileron 2"

Avenger : Span 64", Root 10", Tip 8", Aileron 1.5"

Plus, if you don't want to run a flat bottom airfoil, you could use some of the wing bed to create a flat spot to mount against the fuselage such as in this picture...although the form could also be attached to the fuselage itself.

BNC
Blue Note is offline Find More Posts by Blue Note
Old Oct 26, 2009, 08:28 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Rails ?

Thanks Blue Note.

I now have a set of foam cores to tape up and try out, and I'm on to the fuselage design.

Using local stocks of aluminum my choices for the u-section fuselage rails are 12x12mm (about 1/2"x1/2"), or 12x16mm (about 1/2"x5/8"). Both are about 1.5mm or 1/16th wall thickness.
Which one of these sounds most like whats normally used in these SSC planes ?

Thanks,
Martin
Old Oct 26, 2009, 08:53 AM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
266 Posts
Martin: Go to the RC Combat Association website: www.rccombat.com Look through the forum sections including the debriefs section and anything connected with construction, etc. There you will find LOTS of pictures of various ideas that have been used by others that can give you inspiration. There is no "right way" or "wrong way" to build a combat plane. Recently, Bob Leone and Brandon Stevens have come up with some really neat designs. Bob's is for electric power and Brandon's uses a square steel "towel bar" for the fuselage on a design that resembles an Avenger. I think Brandon's design "The Badger" is really going to catch on.

All of the photos are also posted in the rcca gallery Check it out

http://www.rccagallery.com/

But to answer your question, the C channel most commonly used is approximately 3/8" x 1/2" with 1/16" walls. The "cut out" of the C perfectly fits a sheet of 1/4" plywood, which just happens to be its intended purpose, to go around the edge of a sheet of plywood.

Have FUN! and be sure to check out the gallery/forums
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:06 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
You can also do what some clubs have done. Buy a BattleAxe kit and reverse engineer it.

Our club flies the BattleAxe and some are "factory" kits and some are reverse engineered kits. About $20 difference in price.

And you can bulk order stuff like fuel tanks and props from Tower Hobby for some savings.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:00 AM
Terry Harner AREA-52
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined May 2007
593 Posts
Spads in SSC

http://spadworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17203
The End is offline Find More Posts by The End
Old Nov 02, 2009, 07:17 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
You can also do what some clubs have done. Buy a BattleAxe kit and reverse engineer it.

Our club flies the BattleAxe and some are "factory" kits and some are reverse engineered kits. About $20 difference in price.

And you can bulk order stuff like fuel tanks and props from Tower Hobby for some savings.
The Battle Axe formula is so sound that's it's hard to improve on by the look of it. Ours is going to come out quite similar looking.
We've used our own semi symmetrical airfoil based on the suggestions, and most main parts come from the local hardware store or HobbyKing.
Tower Hobby is out because of shipping costs and tax etc as we're in Australia.

I tried to find the threads about 'The Badger' but was unable to see anything. Anyone got a direct link to a picture ?
Old Nov 02, 2009, 08:16 PM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post

I tried to find the threads about 'The Badger' but was unable to see anything. Anyone got a direct link to a picture ?
http://www.rccagallery.com/Gallery/v...am_Abby_Normal

There are no plans or threads at this time because Brandon is just getting it sorted out. Last month's contest was the first for his new design, but it sure looks like a winner to me. The square "towel bar" fuselage took a couple of pretty good hits and didn't fold, but it did dent.
Last edited by gsjames; Nov 02, 2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 08:21 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Nice picture. Looks similar to the Avenger, thanks

Hey, general question about covering the wings with coloured packing tape (on top of the bi-directional tape). How well does it resist fuel and oils lifting it off ?
Do you need to use overlaps to avoid that ?

I've used packing tape a lot, but only with electrics.

Martin