HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2010, 03:37 PM
Gnd/Heli Interface Tester
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Well I have built the elevator and cut some sheet for the center wing next. One thing I have noticed is I have 1 extra spoiler rib! Anyone else with the wood pack have this? Looking at the layed out ribs, I have the following:

end rib 3/16
2 x normal ribs
1 x spoiler end rib
11 spoiler ribs
1 x spoiler end rib
2 x normal ribs
end rib 3/16

Is the centre rib supposed to be doubled up?
jiberjaber is online now Find More Posts by jiberjaber
Last edited by jiberjaber; Feb 19, 2010 at 04:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2010, 03:10 PM
Joined Sep 2009
365 Posts
Have checked out the plan & the count of the ribs you gave would seem to correct Jason.
There was only one rib in the centre, but you could double it up with the spare if you wanted to.
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Old Feb 20, 2010, 06:51 PM
Sussex, UK
Joined Dec 2009
8 Posts
Watts Up Wood Kit

I am part way through build using wood kit and have found that the fuselage bottom panel has been lasered to the outside profile instead of allowing for the thickness of the fuselage sides, I guess I'll just have to remove 3mm all round to make it fit,
Do we know what the target weight is for the 100" model.
#cherokee is offline Find More Posts by #cherokee
Old Feb 21, 2010, 05:04 AM
Joined Sep 2009
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by #cherokee View Post
I am part way through build using wood kit and have found that the fuselage bottom panel has been lasered to the outside profile instead of allowing for the thickness of the fuselage sides, I guess I'll just have to remove 3mm all round to make it fit,
Do we know what the target weight is for the 100" model.
I heard this from one of the guys in our club. The simple way would be remove 6mm from one side, Might be worth pointing out to Traplett as they are in control of the laser cutting program. Still on the bright side it is bigger & not SMALLER. Try fitting to one side, by pushing it into position then run a pencil round the inside of the fuselage side that needs reducing to give pretty good guide, as to what to remove
I know it is normal for the top & bottom to be attached to the outside of the fuselage sides, but I use this method to keep the fuselage in line & also so as the boom can be fitted in place more easily.

I thought the weight was on the plan in the box lower right. Should be 1200grams(42 ounces) for the 100" & approx 1300 grams(45.5 ounces) for the 3.1 metre version. This is all up ready to fly.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 05:20 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Aug 2002
725 Posts
What are the boom dimenrsions? I've got a Bubble Dancer boom that measures 0.805" OD at the big end and 0.465" OD at the small end. It's 36" long.

Also, if I order the plans, is there enough info to plot out the ribs for the 3.1 meter version? Airfoil used, any mods to thickness and camber, and panel spans and chords? I ask because it was mentioned that the rib templates were not on the plans. I have Compufoil for rib plotting, and a CNC router for cutting.

Thanks in advance,

John Ihlein
Albuquerque, NM
jihlein is offline Find More Posts by jihlein
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:17 AM
Joined Sep 2009
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jihlein View Post
What are the boom dimenrsions? I've got a Bubble Dancer boom that measures 0.805" OD at the big end and 0.465" OD at the small end. It's 36" long.

Also, if I order the plans, is there enough info to plot out the ribs for the 3.1 meter version? Airfoil used, any mods to thickness and camber, and panel spans and chords? I ask because it was mentioned that the rib templates were not on the plans. I have Compufoil for rib plotting, and a CNC router for cutting.

Thanks in advance,

John Ihlein
Albuquerque, NM
Hi John

The boom you have should be Ok, but check it out you need it to be .708"(18mm) at the rear & 29" (737mm) in length. The taper may be to much to achieve the size I have quoted.
The wing sections were supplied with the original plan, but the cynic in me suggests that the mag with held them to sell the wood pack. The section is MH32 unmodified.

Although the plan does not show the 3.1 metre wing, it can be drawn out as I did by increasing the outer tip to 16" instead of 10" & the inner tip panel to 26" from 20", with rib spacing at 2". The leading edge is straight, all the taper being on the trailing edge.

Many people have said it is based on the Bubble Dancer, but to set the record straight, if you have a cross tail with a tail boom you are not left with many options. I would have done it for a V tail from choice, but as the majority of flyers canvassed said it would be better with a cross tail, so that is what you got. Also the fin/rudder are smaller & less prone to damage.
I designed in features that are practical for the home builder, regarding the servo drive for the rudder/elevator. Also the wing is easier to construct without the carbon spars which are not essential with an electric glider.
The central spoiler has been used on other models previously, so nothing is really new in this game
Last edited by Essex BOF; Feb 22, 2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:57 AM
Joined Sep 2009
365 Posts
Have updated my reply as I had missintepreted the sizes quoted by John.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 05:19 PM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Well - I have laid down the ribs for the centre section. I had already cut the LE but on reflection I am going to have to make it a bit taller as I took the height off the plan which is a little different that reality against the rib ends to leave a 1/16 top and bottom over hang for shaping.

My efforts at stripping large widths are failing me, but over sized cuts and the razor plane is saving the day.

I went for the doubled up centre rib in the end.

Might take some pics tomorrow, (after the pi$$ take started in my last build thread I am less enthused to do so. )
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:52 PM
Richard
Staffordshire
Joined Dec 2009
10 Posts
All goes well

Getting back into it. Build is going well. I to noticed the extra material in the keel this dimensional mismatch also affects the upper nose plank and plank to the rear of the TE. Hope to be covering by the middle of next month. Any tips on this, as last done 35 yrs ago.

Regards

Richard
Quadra21 is offline Find More Posts by Quadra21
Old Feb 24, 2010, 03:57 AM
Joined Sep 2009
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra21 View Post
Getting back into it. Build is going well. I to noticed the extra material in the keel this dimensional mismatch also affects the upper nose plank and plank to the rear of the TE. Hope to be covering by the middle of next month. Any tips on this, as last done 35 yrs ago.

Regards

Richard
I take it you mean the piece that is left on to set the boom at the correct position to the incidence on the wing. This is the other reason I forgot to mention for having the fuselage bottom inset on the sides, as it allows the bottom to be glued to the longerons, then the excess removed flush with bottom.

With out doubht the best covering material is Profilm or Oracover, it's other trade name. Very easy to use, can be removed for repositioning, good tolerance to heat. Also if you do have to recover, can be stripped off without leaving the colour pigment behind as a sticky mess. Downside not cheap to buy, cheaper from the roll if you can find a scource that sells that way.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:36 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Right I have ordered my carbon cloth and pole... just need to source the wing joiner tubes. Any particular supplier for these Brian?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:14 AM
Joined Sep 2009
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiberjaber View Post
Right I have ordered my carbon cloth and pole... just need to source the wing joiner tubes. Any particular supplier for these Brian?
Most model shops stock K&S metal tubing etc. You need the 7/32" OD ali tube(only comes in American or Imperial sizes). This will be a slightly tight fit on 5mm carbon rod, so I put the rod in an electric drill & LIGHTLY run some 400 wet & dry paper over it till it is a nice fit.
For some strange reason I have never been able to get non ferrous materials in metric, sizes only BSWG (British Standard Wire Gauge)
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:03 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Yes, even Chronous seem to be imperial for non-ferrous as well.. they dont have any ali tube either.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:42 AM
Joined Sep 2009
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiberjaber View Post
Yes, even Chronous seem to be imperial for non-ferrous as well.. they dont have any ali tube either.
Hobby stores should have it if nothing else as Ripmax are the wholesalers for K&S products. Try Galaxy Models he will post it, or do a net search. I did get some 5mm bore ali tube from off the net, but it was a bit loose on the 5mm carbon rod as they sold it as 6mm OD claiming it to be 5mm bore. I got over it by wrapping 2 laminations of Cellotape around the rod in two places on each half that slides into the wing halves. This took up the play.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:37 PM
Richard
Staffordshire
Joined Dec 2009
10 Posts
Excess material

[QUOTE=Essex BOF;14432873]I take it you mean the piece that is left on to set the boom at the correct position to the incidence on the wing. This is the other reason I forgot to mention for having the fuselage bottom inset on the sides, as it allows the bottom to be glued to the longerons, then the excess removed flush with bottom.

Brian,

It's the small upper plank from the TE to boom. This also has been lasered too wide and to the fusealage outer profile NOT to the inner skin dimensions. I've just stripped of 6mm prior to fitting.

Many thanks for the help with covering materials.

Regards

Richard.
Quadra21 is offline Find More Posts by Quadra21