SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2010, 03:59 AM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
There is a build blog that i am running for the new Alacrity that I am building, where some of the pictures of the wing construction pictures may be of use to those building the Watts Up. These show the carbon sheet around the joiner tube. The WU is simpler on the Centre Section being flat, does not need the carbon sheet running along the span, so just has the 3/8" webbing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180687
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2010, 04:52 AM
Joined Jan 2008
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF View Post
Further to my earlier reply, I have done a search for what I think may be a cheap solution to what some of may want, but it does involve a bit of work on your behalf to get there.

Hyperflight stock a Maxon copy gearbox, with adaptor plate to fit 400/480 motors( I take that to mean that the hole centre's are 19mm):-

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=MAX44

This could be fitted to a Wasp BL2835 (300Watt) 400/480 motor from BRC Models in the UK

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=sh...ditem&item=811

Total 58.90
Can someone advise if this would be suitable for a 3s lipo. Also what prop size would be suitable. Thanks
keefy is offline Find More Posts by keefy
Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:49 AM
St. Neots, England
Joined Sep 2002
149 Posts
Hello all

I've ordered a Watts Up! Plan. As soon as I saw the model in RCMW I had to have one but until now my building has been full. I have a Kontronic Fun 480 with matching gearbox that is at present wasted in an Easy Glider, this should fit nicely in a Watts Up! I will order the wood pack soon when I'm ready to start.

My thanks to Brian Austin for sharing his great design.
Keep up the good work.

Phil.
Phil_P is offline Find More Posts by Phil_P
Old Jan 29, 2010, 03:48 AM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefy View Post
Can someone advise if this would be suitable for a 3s lipo. Also what prop size would be suitable. Thanks

If you go to the BRC site it will tell you what the motor details are, where it says it runs on a 3 cell Lipo.

Hobby King also do this motor under another name as the TurnigyHXT2835(380)S-2700Kv for $19.50, well pretty sure it is the same as the spec is identical.

As for Prop size start with a 14X9/10

You & others may find this useful as a guide to what set up is of the best type, in giving the best THRUST. That is what you need above all. It will check out the amps,Watts, prop size etc. You can change things around to see what is best, without buying lots of gear.
I find it simple to use over other software, which suits me

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp
Old Jan 29, 2010, 04:00 AM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_P View Post
Hello all

I've ordered a Watts Up! Plan. As soon as I saw the model in RCMW I had to have one but until now my building has been full. I have a Kontronic Fun 480 with matching gearbox that is at present wasted in an Easy Glider, this should fit nicely in a Watts Up! I will order the wood pack soon when I'm ready to start.

My thanks to Brian Austin for sharing his great design.
Keep up the good work.

Phil.
Thanks for the compliments, Phil, the object was to supply a design/model that did not cost the earth to obtain, would be a bit universal in configuration & allow your imagination to take it to further, if required. i.e wing span, flaps/ailerons even wing sections to try them out.
It has been quite gratifying to find from this thread, that the art of making models has not died out just yet.

The Kontronik Fun 480 is an excellent motor that I have used over the last few years, i own 4 of them. Sad that they stopped them well they do the Kira now with a built in fan that is more expensive. This puts it on par with the HackerB40,s which are better in that they do more variations,to give a wider choice.
Last edited by Essex BOF; Jan 29, 2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:52 AM
St. Neots, England
Joined Sep 2002
149 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments, Phil, the object was to supply a design/model that did not cost the earth to obtain
This is the main reason I want to build a Watts Up! Decent 2.5m-3m e-gliders are very expensive and I do enjoy the challenge of building, but not too difficult as I just don't have the time.

Phil.
Phil_P is offline Find More Posts by Phil_P
Old Feb 03, 2010, 11:07 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2007
52 Posts
Hi Brian its Ray Staerck from the old Fairlop days...Hope you are well.

I'm looking to build a glider for a Mills 1.3cc deisel. Your Watts up 100" seems perfect.

Whats are you thoughts matey.......Fancy a beer some day?

Ray
madgooner99 is offline Find More Posts by madgooner99
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:28 AM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
Hi Ray
Nice to hear from you again. Peter & Ray have joined our little group down here in Essex hinterland & we run Electric Soaring events. First one this year on 4th April.

Yes I am sure it will fly fine on a Mills 1.3, but the climb will not be as rapid as the electric version, plus you will need a small tank or throttle control.
It will weigh less without power battery, esc.

Regards
brian
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:22 PM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2007
52 Posts
I have converted George Chastells big light V tail to electric...Its a real pleasure to fly.

I'd like to join you all for a days soaring if possible please

Ray
madgooner99 is offline Find More Posts by madgooner99
Old Feb 04, 2010, 04:56 PM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
Ray
Check out your private messages, as I have sent you 2

Brian
Old Feb 04, 2010, 06:57 PM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
89 Posts
Finished model pictures

Hi, thought I would post some pics of my finished model. Still needs to be flown. Will get round to it soon.
Fen Tiger is offline Find More Posts by Fen Tiger
Old Feb 05, 2010, 08:34 AM
Gnd/Heli Interface Tester
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
That looks great
jiberjaber is online now Find More Posts by jiberjaber
Old Feb 05, 2010, 10:20 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Well I have ordered my plans, back issue and wood pack. I was just going to get the plans and back issue with a view to having some thinking time, but it was 5.60 postage for just the plans and back issue of the mag! Adding the wood pack came to 7 quid postage...

So a few of quick questions:
I assume I can make the longer wings at a later date?
Are the ailerons hard to add in to the wing ?
Is there a materials list for the plans detailed on the plan or available?
Old Feb 05, 2010, 04:59 PM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
So a few of quick questions:
I assume I can make the longer wings at a later date?
Are the ailerons hard to add in to the wing ?
Is there a materials list for the plans detailed on the plan or available?
Hi Jason
Yes you can add the larger tips at a later date.

Installing ailerons if you are not used to building that type of wing is not that easy. You will find that the rudder,elevator,spoiler setup will be fine for nearly everything you will want to do. Installing ailerons, without having flaps on the centre section, instead of the spoiler, would be a waste of time as the main benefits of crow breaking & camber change, are not being realised.plus the model responds fine as it is.

There is not a list of materials on the plan to my knowledge, but as you are not far from the Balsa Cabin in Maldon, you can get them as you go.
From memory, you will need 1/16" X 3" balsa sheet for the wing sheeting, 3/16" for Trailing Edge, 3/8"X1/8"spruce for spars, 3/8"x 3/4" sheet for LE & webbing. Scrap block for tips.
The mag article will list where to get other items apart from the carbon/fibreglass boom for the fuselage, which can be got from Cheshire fishing Supplies.

I believe Steve Trent is building one, so he can advise you as to his approach when you see him
Old Feb 06, 2010, 05:29 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Thanks Brian, yes Steve mentioned he has one on the board.