SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2010, 12:33 PM
Joined Mar 2009
10 Posts
Thank you very much for replying so promptly. It is beginning to make the muddy water look a little clearer now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF View Post
I see that you were in the US a little while ago, if you have a contact there or are going again, this is the motor I would recomend as I have used it personally & it is very good for the price with a gearbox. You can order it from here but by the time you have paid postage duty etc you might as well go to West London Models for the other link. http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=3212
I get to visit the US on a fairly regular basis (3 times this month) so will try to get one shipped to the hotel to save on the postage, duty etc.

Thanks once again for the info.

Andy
Wobblehead is offline Find More Posts by Wobblehead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2010, 04:58 AM
Essex England
Joined May 2005
77 Posts
I have been following this thread with interest with a view to building a Watts Up. But while seeking a suitable motor, to remain within my modest budget, I have been looking at a Multiplex BL-480/3G 3.3-1. which seems to be a few grammes lighter but otherwise of a similar spec to the 6G. I am new to electric flight and would be grateful if anyone could explain what the G stands for.

Brian: You made reference earlier to a Ray Pavely fuselage. I think I have one. I bought it from a club colleague complete with an uncovered V tail and three-piece ready-built 100in wing, with ailerons and barn door-style spolier, from an early Vladimirs design. I need a motor for it and guess that your recommended Multiplex would fit the bill?

The 3G is available at a very keen price but I would like guidance on the G number before taking the plunge.

regards
VF
Vintageflyer is offline Find More Posts by Vintageflyer
Old Jan 09, 2010, 07:14 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
653 Posts
I think the G simply means either it includes the gearbox, if no gearbox is included the motor has a D suffix - e.g. http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=2944

Presumably the /3, /4 & /6 part of the suffixes refer to the windings as the Kv figures relate inversely to them.

With this in mind wouldn't it be best to go for a 480/6G with 4.4-1 in order to use the biggest prop or with 3.3 to still use a big prop but reduce gearing efficiency losses ?
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Jan 09, 2010, 07:16 AM
Joined Sep 2009
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageflyer View Post
I have been following this thread with interest with a view to building a Watts Up. But while seeking a suitable motor, to remain within my modest budget, I have been looking at a Multiplex BL-480/3G 3.3-1. which seems to be a few grammes lighter but otherwise of a similar spec to the 6G. I am new to electric flight and would be grateful if anyone could explain what the G stands for.

The G stands for Gearbox whereas Direct Drive has a D at the end.

Brian: You made reference earlier to a Ray Pavely fuselage. I think I have one. I bought it from a club colleague complete with an uncovered V tail and three-piece ready-built 100in wing, with ailerons and barn door-style spolier, from an early Vladimirs design. I need a motor for it and guess that your recommended Multiplex would fit the bill?

[B]Seems to be a bit of a bars>>>>>> of the original design, or should I say a hybrid version As this model never had a name, when I built it, I named it "Alacrity", which Ray graciously accepted it to be known as from then.. Saved calling it Ray Pavely's model that I modified from the original. See link below to get history of the "Alacrity", for those who are not aware of it.http://sites.google.com/site/f5jport.../alacrity-plus

The 3G is available at a very keen price but I would like guidance on the G number before taking the plunge.

regards
VF
I would go for the 6G(for gearbox) it has a 3.3 gearbox as far as I know as they do not make it with the 4.4 anymore The 3G works OK as this is what I used originally in the Watts Up, turning a 12X6 folding prop, gives over 300 watts, but the 6G will turn a bigger prop, which is more beneficial.
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Last edited by Essex BOF; Jan 11, 2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:49 AM
Joined Sep 2009
379 Posts
Further to my earlier reply, I have done a search for what I think may be a cheap solution to what some of may want, but it does involve a bit of work on your behalf to get there.

Hyperflight stock a Maxon copy gearbox, with adaptor plate to fit 400/480 motors( I take that to mean that the hole centre's are 19mm):-

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=MAX44

This could be fitted to a Wasp BL2835 (300Watt) 400/480 motor from BRC Models in the UK

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=sh...ditem&item=811

Total 58.90
Old Jan 09, 2010, 10:55 AM
Essex England
Joined May 2005
77 Posts
Thanks for all your help and advice folks. Very much appreciated.

Here's a link to an Ebay seller who is offering the 3G for 77$, including postage to UK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Multiplex-BL-480...item3ca8fac291

I reckon I will go for the 6G but will have a look at Brian's latest suggestion. Sadly my budget doesn't allow for a top-notch comp power train, but I am sure I will get just as much enjoyment from flying a Watts Up and my Pavely Hybrid for fun, and perhaps in low key comps, using a cheaper motor option.

Any more build pics on the way?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:44 AM
Joined Sep 2009
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra21 View Post
Having just gone down to my local model shop both the owner and I nearly fell through the floor when the price he gave me for the AXI C/W gearbox was nearly 150.
Have been informed that Puffin Models do the AXI with GB for 94, which is not a bad price, so do not know where your model shop got the 150 from, unless he is lumping the ESC in with it.
They are showing no stock as of the present time.

AXi 2217/9D plus PG3
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:30 PM
Richard
Staffordshire
Joined Dec 2009
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF View Post
Have been informed that Puffin Models do the AXI with GB for 94, which is not a bad price, so do not know where your model shop got the 150 from, unless he is lumping the ESC in with it.
They are showing no stock as of the present time.

AXi 2217/9D plus PG3
I distinctly remember him saying that I would also require an ESC so I guess I won't being do much business with him in future, one or two of the lads at work recon he,s expensive but local to were I live. Once again many thanks for your and others help and assistance.

Richard.
Quadra21 is offline Find More Posts by Quadra21
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:45 PM
Joined Sep 2009
379 Posts
[QUOTE=Any more build pics on the way?[/QUOTE]

I can put some on here if anyone is interested but some have been in the mag article.
Let me know.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 01:53 AM
Essex England
Joined May 2005
77 Posts
Brian

I missed the September edition of RCMW (mainly because I normally only get QEFI!) Are back issues still available?

This is a very interesting topic so more the merrier when it comes to pictures.

regards

VF
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:50 AM
Joined Sep 2009
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageflyer View Post
Brian

I missed the September edition of RCMW (mainly because I normally only get QEFI!) Are back issues still available?

This is a very interesting topic so more the merrier when it comes to pictures.

regards

VF
Some construction pictures, will post some more on another post
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:58 AM
Joined Sep 2009
379 Posts
Some more pictures of Watts Up construction
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:52 PM
Essex England
Joined May 2005
77 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics, Brian.

Keep them coming because I have just ordered a plan and the September magazine.

I am looking forward to this. I haven't built anything from a plan since completing a Percy III lightweight Wakefield a few years ago.

However, I am tempted to cheat a bit and buy the wood pack...just to ensure the model is ready for the Spring.
Last edited by Vintageflyer; Jan 12, 2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:43 PM
Joined Sep 2009
379 Posts
A few more pics
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:13 PM
Coventry, UK
Joined Jul 2007
42 Posts
Hello guys. I thought I will join in as I am about to start building Watts Up in 3.1 m wingspan version. I made a 3D model as I am sending files for laser cutting and I am collecting all components. I did some changes like longer spoiler, bigger fin and stab, 5 cm longer boom, and rib caps. I was thinking of AG35-38 airfolis for easier construction but at the end I settled with MH32 as per plan.

Motor: Hacker A20-6XL with GB 4.4:1
Prop: Aeronaut 15x10
Spinner: Aeronaut 36mm
Battery: 2250 mAh 25C
ESC: 45A
Servos: Hyperion DS09 (metal gear for rudder)
I estimate I will get around 330 Watts and 10m/s climb.

I will post photos or maybe start a build log but first I have to finish my current project. I hope I will be able to start Watts Up in February.
sandb0x is offline Find More Posts by sandb0x